Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTF Coaching Decisions

Default Re: WTF Coaching Decisions

My WTF falls on last week. We ran this scheme against both SIU and UNI, if we would have played this aggressively last week we would have had a W.

That said, Breske is making progress with the defense, the D-line was much improved and it looked like they were actually on the same page. There are still coverage and tackling issues but it was a thousand times better than either Ill St and SHSU.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

I think you have to give Vigen and Breske what credit is due for making the most with what they've got, but between injuries and other stuff we're just too thin at too many positions and that shows in a 1-5 record. I'd say give Breske a break, give mad props to Vigen for making our offense look at least halfway respectable and for mixing some slick moves into the overall scheme.

That said, I'm really starting to question Bohl's mindset in the game atmosphere. Too many coaching calls were total "WTF?!" ones tonight and at SIU, and there is an obivous lack of team discipline going down. I'd say if he can't prove to us he deserves the HC job with what he's got left of this season, he gets canned. We put too much work into this stuff to have the football team go and ruin our show.

My gripes in no particular order

1. 1st and goal at the 1. qb sneak? giving it to the leading fcs running back? clock management? Tell the boys you have 4 running plays to get it into the endzone so man the F up and knock them off the ball?

2. Roll out punt block. Seriously! WTF?, did anyone else notice he looked like he wanted to pass before punting into the guys chest?

3. Not throwing the deep ball. You have to at least take a chance once a game.

4. Play action on clear passing downs. Just let him drop back and scan the field at the same time.

5. Play action roll out with only 1 option. There were a few times where he rolled out and had 1 guy to pass to. If you have to make it that simple just run a qb sweep.

6. Leaving points in the redzone. I have been saying this for the last 3 seasons. Honestly. If you start looking back at games we have done this all too often. I swear sometimes we just outthink ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by HooliganBison View Post

1. 1st and goal at the 1.
    QB sneak, QB sneak, QB sneak. Mertens is very capable of getting in the end zone.

533 In a row

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    QB sneak, QB sneak, QB sneak. Mertens is very capable of getting in the end zone.
    exactly..I would have ran four QB sneaks in a row...if they stopped it then we werent good enough...that was very puzzling.

The play action on 3rd and long has to STOP!!! Also our QB is not good at the short pass..so quit throwing them...much more effective down the field.

Also the 0-2 yard passes are old!!!! Also..please take a couple of deep shots against man coverage on the outside when we have it!!!

What I liked about the game..O-line gave our QB time to throw against a very good UNI d-line..got our TE back into the game plan..D-line played better. Mertens played the BEST he's ever played....j

The whole team played hard...that was good to see...wish we would have played that hard all year...we wouldn't be 1-5..

I do believe we can beat the Jacks...Have to stop the run bigtime and just keep running like we do!!

1. 1st and goal at the 1. qb sneak? giving it to the leading fcs running back? clock management? Tell the boys you have 4 running plays to get it into the endzone so man the F up and knock them off the ball?

2. Roll out punt block. Seriously! WTF?, did anyone else notice he looked like he wanted to pass before punting into the guys chest?

4. Play action on clear passing downs. Just let him drop back and scan the field at the same time.

5. Play action roll out with only 1 option. There were a few times where he rolled out and had 1 guy to pass to. If you have to make it that simple just run a qb sweep.

6. Leaving points in the redzone. I have been saying this for the last 3 seasons. Honestly. If you start looking back at games we have done this all too often. I swear sometimes we just outthink ourselves.
    YES, YES...exactly what I have been saying!! I was hoping that I wasn't the only one seeing these obvious areas!! Now how in the F do we get Bohl to notice??

(you did forget the 8-10 passing plays we ran during the game that are designed to pass to a FB or TE that gain us 0-2 yds...just spike the ball if you want to waste the down)

GO BISON!!

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    We did do a QB sneak. Oh wait, that was at our own 1 yard line on first and 10. Eventually turned into a good drive so maybe that was coaching genius.

great points. those are all my concerns as well. I really had a problem with the QB sneak on the one. They ran that spin around QB dive. It takes alot of time to develop and it's on film because we've ran it in every game this year. Why not just tell him to go straight ahead? If that doesn't work then on 2nd and 3rd and 4th downs we have the best RB in the country, use him! Settling for a fg is f'ing stupid. Your a huge underdog, against a top ranked team in your own house and the season is lost. Why the hell do you settle for a fg? And let's not forget that no matter where we are on the field, with our kicker there are no guaranteed points.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

Quote Originally Posted by MPLSbisonFAN View Post
    Smart stuff hear........I like
    Kind of ironic you misuse the word hear in place of here, i agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments however.