Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mertens to start at ISU

Jdubs21 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Mertens to start at ISU

Good Luck Mr. Mertens!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    I have a feeling no matter what they will play him this game, but once Mohler is back, and they feel Dante has learned then I think we see someone else if its still marginal
    I guess I just have a hunch that the leash will be short from the start, took until Monday with a Thursday game to name a starter and the competition was between the incumbent 5th year senior and a JUCO transfer who has been in the program for a month, missed a week of practice, and was still taking snaps with the 1st team...just seems his leash may be pretty short.

But, best of luck to Mr. Mertens, I hope he proves my hunch wrong this season!

Go get 'em Nick!!

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNolesFan77 View Post
    I guess I just have a hunch that the leash will be short from the start, took until Monday with a Thursday game to name a starter and the competition was between the incumbent 5th year senior and a JUCO transfer who has been in the program for a month, missed a week of practice, and was still taking snaps with the 1st team...just seems his leash may be pretty short.

But, best of luck to Mr. Mertens, I hope he proves my hunch wrong this season!
    The quote I heard today on the fan was something to the effect that they will NOT hesitate to go to Perez if need be.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    The quote I heard today on the fan was something to the effect that they will NOT hesitate to go to Perez if need be.

Not a bash on Nick, but I hope they both get playing time, that will keep the D on their toes, to different styles

GO NICK! GO DANTE!
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Guess I'm not surprised, I think we all expected Mertens to start. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I do hope Perez gets some playing time in the first couple games.

As for The ISU game itself, this really should be a close game for us, possibly even winnable, given that ISU isn't a very good FBS team. I'd say the worst we should lose by, should it come to that, is 7 to 9 points.

That said, if Mertens doesn't live up to expectations, I hope the hook comes very soon, rather then later. Given our tradition, it would be a travesty not to make a playoff run this year, winning one or two even.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

[QUOTE=NDSU1980;297820]Guess I'm not surprised, I think we all expected Mertens to start. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I do hope Perez gets some playing time in the first couple games.

Just like Nick probably should have had, to gain some experience. Good Luck to him!

[quote=94 Bison;297901]
    Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    Guess I'm not surprised, I think we all expected Mertens to start. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I do hope Perez gets some playing time in the first couple games.

Just like Nick probably should have had, to gain some experience. Good Luck to him!
    Tadaaaaaa !! Right...on...1980 !! Nick didn't get playing time with any meaning until last year. Then he was expected to carry a pre-season #1 team to big things...with a new, big conference...with Walker's offense. He was mishandled beautifully by the coaches. Give Perez a series or two in the 2nd quarter, no matter how it's going. Take some of the heat off. Share the duties some. Prepare for injuries. It's fundamental stuff.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

[QUOTE=CaBisonFan;297902]
    Quote Originally Posted by 94 Bison View Post

Tadaaaaaa !! Right...on...1980 !! Nick didn't get playing time with any meaning until last year. Then he was expected to carry a pre-season #1 team to big things...with a new, big conference...with Walker's offense. He was mishandled beautifully by the coaches. Give Perez a series or two in the 2nd quarter, no matter how it's going. Take some of the heat off. Share the duties some. Prepare for injuries. It's fundamental stuff.
    I don't think it's fundamental to put in your back up qb if things are going well for your starter. There's a lot to be said for rythm and timing and pulling your starter is a great way to destroy that. If this idea was fundamental, all or at least most teams would do this and I just don't see that.

[quote=HandoEX;297925]
    Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post

I don't think it's fundamental to put in your back up qb if things are going well for your starter. There's a lot to be said for rythm and timing and pulling your starter is a great way to destroy that. If this idea was fundamental, all or at least most teams would do this and I just don't see that.
    It's fundamental if you want to keep continuity in the program. If you don't, yir one hit away from a season-killing disaster. IMO...a lot of programs make this mistake. The Bison did it big-time while Walker was behind center. I like the Florida model a while back. They won the national title...graduated their starter...and Tebow came back as a tested QB.
    Last edited by CaBisonFan; 09-01-2009 at 01:49 PM.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.