Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: UND football team dismisses linebacker

Default Re: UND football team dismisses linebacker

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    First off, I doubt any Bison fan goes over to SS and gloats about your numerous infractions, or for that matter sticks for our bad apples over there. So, what the H-E-L-L are you on Bisonville preaching for?

Secondly, you seem to think that the Frattin lawn mower incident is practically nothing. Sounds serious to me. And of course, no UND infactions post could be complete without mentioning either Bobby Stroup or Oshie.
    Actually it wasn't that hard to throw the lawn mower on the street. It was self propelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
    Tony, it's not a uniformity issue. Here's how it works: a reporter (TV, newspaper, radio) goes into a police station and asks to see the public log of incident reports. The reporter is looking for something newsworthy, or out of the ordinary, or a NAME that he or she recognizes. That same reporter also makes a stop at Clerk of County Courts to check if any charges have been brought against anyone with recognizable names, i.e., someone "newsworthy". A diligent reporter will make a third stop at the county jail to see the names of the new inmates. By the way, all three of these are open public records. What if the reporter in Fargo recognizes the name "Jose Mohler"? What if the reporter in Grand Forks doesn't recognize the name "Matt Frattin"? You're counting on an overworked, underpaid (usually a newbie) reporter to recognize every name of every athlete on the roster of Hockey, Football, and Basketball? The point being, there is no such thing as uniformity. All reporters in Grand Forks will recognize the name "Oshie". Seemingly, no reporter in Minot will recognize "Jangula". I respectfully disagree with you and think you are wrong if you feel this is intentional.

I think it's better now but NDSU has always been under the microscope. Lets face it most news & sports reporters are more likely be grads of UND than NDSU. One only has to look at all the neg. articles across the state newspapers (ie. Minot -Dickinson - GF) when NDSU when DI. Just one example I remember back in 2001 (I think) UND was in the playoffs and just before the first round game one of their DB's had to go to court for something but I remember thinking to myself how did it get this far with no one reporting it. You have to admit that the media, hell the whole town is in real tight with UND. It's gotten better now but you'll never convince me that there's been lots of stuff swept under the rug in the past. Just look at B. Stroup and all the charges he had before the big trouble. It wasn't reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan View Post
    I think it's better now but NDSU has always been under the microscope. Lets face it most news & sports reporters are more likely be grads of UND than NDSU. One only has to look at all the neg. articles across the state newspapers (ie. Minot -Dickinson - GF) when NDSU when DI. Just one example I remember back in 2001 (I think) UND was in the playoffs and just before the first round game one of their DB's had to go to court for something but I remember thinking to myself how did it get this far with no one reporting it. You have to admit that the media, hell the whole town is in real tight with UND. It's gotten better now but you'll never convince me that there's been lots of stuff swept under the rug in the past. Just look at B. Stroup and all the charges he had before the big trouble. It wasn't reported.
    Who was the dback? Not arguing with you, I just don't recall that.

I'm sure there has never been an incident involving a NDSU player that has gone unreported. It happens both ways but you focus only on the UND incidents. Hell Schultenover's had a drug offense that the coaches didn't even know about much less the reporters, never saw that one in the paper. I don't see anyone up in arms about that. I'm sure there are incidents that have been locked up if you go through both rosters. Mistakes happen and kids shouldn't always be tied to the whipping post for them. What I've been saying is when you have as tough of luck as NDSU had this offseason you are going to get people looking for the next kid and the next kid and everything is going to get blown up bigger than it is. If they would have had maybe a minor this offseason or a DUI the next, its not as big of a deal. 7 arrests in a few month span, thats news to people and you can bet that each one after the first was going to be reported.

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    I'm sure there has never been an incident involving a NDSU player that has gone unreported. It happens both ways but you focus only on the UND incidents.
    I think everyone would agree that incidents at both places have probably gone unreported; I'm sure at MSU-M and Concordia and Crookston and Valley City, etc.

There will probably be less going unreported in the future, for a couple reasons. First, with the increased exposure of Division I, the athlete's profiles will be higher. Second, with the interweb, the information is going to be out there somewhere. Does anyone know if the local police reports can be checked online by the average rube?

Even if everyone was trying to sweep it under the rug, if it's all over a message board, someone in the media is going to look into it.

If you're a wrestling walkon or 3rd string soccer player, maybe it wouldn't qualify as news even if the "media" knew about it. But if you're an NDSU football player or UND hockey player, you best Click it or Ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    First off, I doubt any Bison fan goes over to SS and gloats about your numerous infractions, or for that matter sticks for our bad apples over there. So, what the H-E-L-L are you on Bisonville preaching for?

Secondly, you seem to think that the Frattin lawn mower incident is practically nothing. Sounds serious to me. And of course, no UND infactions post could be complete without mentioning either Bobby Stroup or Oshie.
    1. I'm not gloating about anything. B. I'm not sticking up for any bad apples. 3. I'm not preaching. I haven't done any of these things nor would I ever. You're scary. But maybe this shouldn't come as a surprise to me. You claimed that all UND athletes, alums, and fans were the equivalent of child molesters. Yikes.

Bah. Closing this as it's just giving UND fans an excuse to drag Bison players through the mud some more and NDSU fans to retaliate in kind. Not constructive - wish we'd just be fair to everybody.

Perk of being a mod (but, obviously a perk that should be used in moderation) is that I get the last word in this thread.

That word is: BAH!