Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Smith Commits

Scooter1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Ryan Smith Commits

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    Fantastic signing. I love recruiting against other Dakota Schools. I hope he does play like Weston Dressler....kid was a stud.
    Weston Dressler state record 100M 10.44 (smokin' fast)
    Ryan smith....10.91 (qualifying time) 11.17/11.27 (state meet)

That being said, Ryan is only a junior and will most likely come to NDSU with a much faster time than 10.91 seconds. Ryan was the only ND kid under 11 secs.

MinotBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    I don't know guys. 165 pounds is pretty tiny and they are looking at him as a running back. Maybe a Shamen kind of guy but an every down back? At a buck sixty five he ain't dropping his head on anyone.

I guess I'm longing for the next Lamar or Reggie, not a white Shamen.

BTW- How much playing time would Weston have gotten as a Bison?
    Can anyone explain why we did not recruit him, or if we did recruit him why we didn't recruit him harder?

Quote Originally Posted by MinotBison View Post
    Can anyone explain why we did not recruit him, or if we did recruit him why we didn't recruit him harder?
    NDSU did offer him but that was back in the transition period which really hurt recruiting in ND (but nowhere else). That said, our first two recruits that year were Roehl and Wurzbacher.

I do remember a lot of talk on this site about how Dressler was too small and too slow to play (he dropped two full seconds or something on his 200 time between his junior and senior year).

regarding Weston, for what is worth, just my $.02, I heard NDSU would not guarantee him a RB position and supposedly UND did then you all know what happened. Looks like it worked out well for him. Not sure why everyone is so worried about a kid being 165 as a Junior in high school.

X-Factor is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

People, be thankful he is only 165 right now and that he is committed. If he was any bigger the door would be wide open for a BIG12 or B10 to stroll right in. Junior in high school males may have a LOT of growing left to do depending on the person. He could gain 40+ pounds before he ever sees the field at SU and make people quickly forget Roehl/Steffes. I am not saying that will happen, but you had better believe it can. Also, body weight is a relativity, but not an absolute measure of size. Is he in shape or is that fat? Someone 5'9" 165 with 5% bf could have some serious strength.

Just need Thorton now, any word of how he did at this "camp"?

#5 FOREVER "NOTORIOUS"

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
    People, be thankful he is only 165 right now and that he is committed. If he was any bigger the door would be wide open for a BIG12 or B10 to stroll right in. Junior in high school males may have a LOT of growing left to do depending on the person. He could gain 40+ pounds before he ever sees the field at SU and make people quickly forget Roehl/Steffes. I am not saying that will happen, but you had better believe it can. Also, body weight is a relativity, but not an absolute measure of size. Is he in shape or is that fat? Someone 5'9" 165 with 5% bf could have some serious strength.
    Yeah, I guess I keep forgetting that it is so early and he is only a junior. But I don't think he'll get real big, considering his parents.

Does he have a little "wiggle" to him?

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

BTW- How much playing time would Weston have gotten as a Bison?
    Ummm, alot?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    Ummm, alot?
    Is it that much of a no-brainer? Who would he have taken time away from? Tyler? I guess I did not pay much attention to the UND players even though Hammer had him on his show every week. I just don't think that he would have been a big star here like he was at UND.

I'm just askin'!

Is it that much of a no-brainer? Who would he have taken time away from? Tyler? I guess I did not pay much attention to the UND players even though Hammer had him on his show every week. I just don't think that he would have been a big star here like he was at UND.

I'm just askin'!
    He's a wide receiver. Not sure who you're trying to compare him to.