Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coaches get pay raise at NDSU

Default Re: Coaches get pay raise at NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Here's the follow-up article that gives all the base salaries of NDSU, UND & MSUM coaches:

Sorting through the salaries
    Graphic: Coaching Salaries

I'm surprised at this part:

Either Faison is a genius, or he's the worst negotiator ever. Only time will tell on that one.

Well, pretty much the only thing that can happen with their VB program is improvement. Not like it could get any worse.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    Well, pretty much the only thing that can happen with their VB program is improvement. Not like it could get any worse.
    That is so very true. That program has looked like the Keystone Cops for quite a while. And that head coaching job was its own coaching carousel. Maybe a good coach and some decent funding can turn the program around. They've got a great facility for it, at least(though they have to share it with basketball).

That is so very true. That program has looked like the Keystone Cops for quite a while. And that head coaching job was its own coaching carousel. Maybe a good coach and some decent funding can turn the program around. They've got a great facility for it, at least(though they have to share it with basketball).
    Nice facility, but at least twice as large as it needs to be for VB. IIRC they don't even charge for VB tickets, and last year 1 out of 11 seats (and that would be for the BB configuration) had a butt in it.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Nice facility, but at least twice as large as it needs to be for VB. IIRC they don't even charge for VB tickets, and last year 1 out of 11 seats (and that would be for the BB configuration) had a butt in it.
    Actually, they do charge for volleyball tickets, however Fighting Sioux Club members do get in for free.

Hopes are high that the VB program can become competetive. Excellent facility, could region to draw talent from, hopefully a good new coach. Time will tell.

But we're on the opposite side, aren't we? Year by year, we're turning the BBF into a nice facility, but we can't fit enough seats into it to match demand. Probably 1/3 of this season's games will be SRO, and that proportion should go up in the future. The Betty may have about 1000 seats more than it could ever need for VB, but we could sure use those extras. In the long run, maybe VB games could be moved to the BSA or an FD arena while keeping the BBF as a practice facility.

Whatever the case, it will be interesting to see if UND can become something more than hockey, football, women's basketball, and swimming & diving. Every time I think about it, I give thanks that someone filed a Title IX complaint against NDSU and won. Look at how much we've been enriched in just the last year by the successes of volleyball, softball and women's T&F. Soccer should be back up in a year or two, and women's basketball seems like it's on the upswing. In a way, it's those sports that help keep Bisonville active during the football and basketball off-seasons. But I wonder how long Faison can push the women's and non-revenue sports before there's a backlash from the hockey boosters. Maybe UND needs its own Title IX complaint to help them move forward.

Here's the follow-up article that gives all the base salaries of NDSU, UND & MSUM coaches:

Sorting through the salaries
    Graphic: Coaching Salaries

I'm surprised at this part:

Either Faison is a genius, or he's the worst negotiator ever. Only time will tell on that one.

I think it's more the case that their new coach really didn't want to come.
    Last edited by Bison Dan; 07-20-2009 at 05:01 PM.

if a program/team can afford to pay someone that much money then thats their right... it's a free market and IMO most professional athletes have earned their salaries

Greenie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan View Post
    I think it's more the case that their new coach really didn't want to come.
    I was also surprised at what they're giving the new VB coach at UND. UND thinks he will be as successful as coach Hinterstocker since they know each other and come from a similar coaching pedigree.

Does it feel odd to anyone else that we are effectively in a salary war with UND over a volleyball coach? I'm not saying it's bad in the least, but it does feel a little odd to me.

Greenie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It seems similar to the women's basketball situation...DeHoff makes just a tad over Roebuck