Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bohl Philosophy

Default The Bohl Philosophy

As a follow-up to my Don Morton thread, and in fairness to Craig Bohl...I present this group of opinions about Craig Bohl.

1. He is a class-act.
    2. He wants to win more than any of us.
    3. He admitted to 'not' putting enough emphasis on recruiting quarterbacks. I can accept it as an admission & an apology.
    4. He is human...like all of us. We should allow for mistakes.
    5. He is committed to having a disciplined football team. An insider told me about how he handles the players in this regard. He is second-to-none.
    6. He expects players to go to class...which could have something to do with players leaving off and on.
    7. He respects 'attitude' over talent. I respect him for that.
    8. He has brought us some amazing thrills over the past years...things that we thought were not possible.
    9. A 6-5 season...or two...is not a coaching sin. It may take him another year to get things put back together. Hope not...but it might be the reality.
    10. He's been cleaning house...and recruiting overtime.
    11. He has surprised us many, many times.

If Bohl gets a confident QB on the field this fall...no matter who it is...we will be in the playoffs. The house has been cleaned. Some recruits have seen Bohl's attitude about keeping a clean house...and they've left.

No matter what I've written on this board...I respect what Bohl has done...and I even think that there's a chance that Nick Mertens could make us eat crow by November. Give the 'kid' a chance.

Thus sprach CaBisonFan

(Bison fans, it's time to get behind the wagon and start pushin'...instead of bitchin'....yours truly included.)

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Default Re: The Bohl Philosophy

Well put CA. I think he has surrounded himself now with some good solid coaches. It will be a wait and see -beginning of the year- to see how it all comes together.

We will see now that we are well ingrained in the league how we will match up with the teams- expectations have been raised. Even though the FCS added extra teams, with weaker teams with better records getting into the tourney, it may still take 8-3 record.

I have a kid working for me that is looking at NDSU because his family friend graduated and really likes Coach. He visits later this month---great athlete actually could play two sports. He has six offers (including D1 so it is way to early for him).

bsking is offline Junior Member New User (or just very quiet)

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    As a follow-up to my Don Morton thread, and in fairness to Craig Bohl...I present this group of opinions about Craig Bohl.

1. He is a class-act.
    2. He wants to win more than any of us.
    3. He admitted to 'not' putting enough emphasis on recruiting quarterbacks. I can accept it as an admission & an apology.
    4. He is human...like all of us. We should allow for mistakes.
    5. He is committed to having a disciplined football team. An insider told me about how he handles the players in this regard. He is second-to-none.
    6. He expects players to go to class...which could have something to do with players leaving off and on.
    7. He respects 'attitude' over talent. I respect him for that.
    8. He has brought us some amazing thrills over the past years...things that we thought were not possible.
    9. A 6-5 season...or two...is not a coaching sin. It may take him another year to get things put back together. Hope not...but it might be the reality.
    10. He's been cleaning house...and recruiting overtime.
    11. He has surprised us many, many times.

If Bohl gets a confident QB on the field this fall...no matter who it is...we will be in the playoffs. The house has been cleaned. Some recruits have seen Bohl's attitude about keeping a clean house...and they've left.

No matter what I've written on this board...I respect what Bohl has done...and I even think that there's a chance that Nick Mertens could make us eat crow by November. Give the 'kid' a chance.

Thus sprach CaBisonFan

(Bison fans, it's time to get behind the wagon and start pushin'...instead of bitchin'....yours truly included.)
    12. CaBisonFan has a man crush on Craig Bohl........

Quote Originally Posted by bsking View Post
    12. CaBisonFan has a man crush on Craig Bohl........
    So do I

BRING BACK SNORTY

well said, good thread

#5 FOREVER "NOTORIOUS"

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by onbison09 View Post
    So do I
    Add me to the list. In my opinion he is the best coach we have ever had period. What he has done here against upper level competition is amazing.

Last year was an abberation in my opinion. Absolutely no leadership and it has shown this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    Add me to the list. In my opinion he is the best coach we have ever had period. What he has done here against upper level competition is amazing.

Last year was an abberation in my opinion. Absolutely no leadership and it has shown this offseason.
    God I hope he does DOES NOT turn out like Charlie Weiss. Win with someone else's players that they could not win with (Willingham's and Babich's), but not recruit and/or develop the tallent necessary to develop and win with your own program. I hope and assume it won't happen, but only time will tell. I am excited to see what we can do this fall!

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by B1SON View Post
    God I hope he does DOES NOT turn out like Charlie Weiss. Win with someone else's players that they could not win with (Willingham's and Babich's), but not recruit and/or develop the tallent necessary to develop and win with your own program. I hope and assume it won't happen, but only time will tell. I am excited to see what we can do this fall!

Babich's players??? Better check the roster...sure The senior class with Steve and Joe were Babich..but there were a lot of talented underclassman on those teams...Last year wasn't so much a talent issue as a leadership issue on and off the field.

Hopefully we have some guys step up and take on that role this year...

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    Babich's players??? Better check the roster...sure The senior class with Steve and Joe were Babich..but there were a lot of talented underclassman on those teams...Last year wasn't so much a talent issue as a leadership issue on and off the field.

Hopefully we have some guys step up and take on that role this year...
    B1SON made a valid comment, however.

I am not a big Lou Holtz fan, but last year during an ESPN GameDay spot they were discussing guys like Charlie Weiss. Lou said something that made a lot of sense to me. He said if you come into a program as a HC and win with someone else's players you are a good coach, but that you cannot be considered an excellent college football coach until you can recruit, develop and win with your own players. The point being you don't really know how good a coach is until he has been with a program for 5 years or longer. Everyone agreed with him, even Mark May and I too think that is a fair assessment of a HC.

So, until Bohl demonstrates that he can win with a team he built from the ground up, and he hasn't done that yet, he cannot be considered "the best coach NDSU has ever had". Guys who won national championships such as Mudra, Erhardt, Morton, Solomonson, and Hager are way ahead of a guy who produced a 6-5 season with his first team built from the ground up, IMHO.

Remember, Mudra inherited a team that had been dreadful for a couple of decades. Bohl better than Mudra? Not by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    Guys who won national championships such as Mudra, Erhardt, Morton, Solomonson, and Hager are way ahead of a guy who produced a 6-5 season with his first team built from the ground up, IMHO.

Remember, Mudra inherited a team that had been dreadful for a couple of decades. Bohl better than Mudra? Not by a long shot.
    I agree with the main premise of your post Neil...but Solomonson didn't build a team. Nothing against him...but he won with Morton's guys. I'd add Wacker to your list. Every coach since Mudra & Erhardt has had an edge with recruiting and program support because of them. Bohl deserves a ton of credit for pulling us through the transition, for rebuilding an attitude, and for some unbelievable games against FBS teams. IMO...the best coach that we've had is Ron Erhardt...slam dunk.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.