Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brendan Pierre

Default Re: Brendan Pierre

The Spread may be easy to understand how it works, but obviously it isn't otherwise dang near everyone would be running it.

Rutland- The Spread doesn't hide anything about a QB. It just doesn't use a prototypical NFL QB. Rex Grossman never ran the spread as its referred to now. Tebow yes.

Teams that run the Spread like Texas, Missouri, Texas Tech are able to run their various versions because they have the skill players. The spread is effective because of the motion and the timing. Also another key aspect is a mobile QB. Now TT usually doesn't fit that bill, but they also run a little more of the open spread. Other schools like Navy, GT, Utah, Oregon, etc run more of the spread option which absolutely needs a mobile QB.

I will definitely agree with Vic in the fact that this offense is very complex, but what makes it complex is all the different looks and variations. Just like the triple option that Nebraska used to run, you might think its easy and you know whats coming, but a lot of the time it can be darn near impossible to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by huskon4ever View Post
    The Spread may be easy to understand how it works, but obviously it isn't otherwise dang near everyone would be running it.

Rutland- The Spread doesn't hide anything about a QB. It just doesn't use a prototypical NFL QB. Rex Grossman never ran the spread as its referred to now. Tebow yes.

Teams that run the Spread like Texas, Missouri, Texas Tech are able to run their various versions because they have the skill players. The spread is effective because of the motion and the timing. Also another key aspect is a mobile QB. Now TT usually doesn't fit that bill, but they also run a little more of the open spread. Other schools like Navy, GT, Utah, Oregon, etc run more of the spread option which absolutely needs a mobile QB.

I will definitely agree with Vic in the fact that this offense is very complex, but what makes it complex is all the different looks and variations. Just like the triple option that Nebraska used to run, you might think its easy and you know whats coming, but a lot of the time it can be darn near impossible to stop.
    Rex Grossman ran a spread that was like what Mike Leach runs. It can hide a QB's flaws because of the very open passing lanes. That is why scouts sometimes question the ability of some spread QB's to make "NFL" type throws. Complex kinda.

Quote Originally Posted by huskon4ever View Post

Not the spread. Triple option, not even close to the spread.

I don't no what everybodys arguing about but the bottom line is that in any given game penn state could run every single play out of a different formation I doubt that theres any other offense known to man that's capable of that...and I've been plesently surprised that none of you wise guys has tried the tired old "joe doesn't know" bit but true story time...a couple years ago im sitting front row 50 yard line psu sideline in the metrodome and psus offense was sputtering think they were coming off 2 or 3 straight 3 and outs something like that...quarter back had just been sacked they were facing another third and long...I look to the sidelines I could tell paterno was pissed at the previous play so I whatched him walk over to the QB coach yank off his head set grab him by the collar and yell at him to change the play with about 15 seconds on the play clock...so mcqueery the qbs coach signals in what was basically an autabile at that point...paterno walks away about 10 yards the opposite way doesn't even whatch the play...a 60 some yard wide open bomb for 6...I immediately looked back at paterno after the touchdown and he's looking up at the big screen whatching the replay afterwards he just wonders away...that was prolly the sweetest thing I've ever seen sports wise
    Last edited by SlickVic; 06-18-2009 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickVic View Post
    I don't no what everybodys arguing about but the bottom line is that in any given game penn state could run every single play out of a different formation I doubt that theres any other offense known to man that's capable of that...and I've been plesently surprised that none of you wise guys has tried the tired old "joe doesn't know" bit but true story time...a couple years ago im sitting front row 50 yard line psu sideline in the metrodome and psus offense was sputtering think they were coming off 2 or 3 straight 3 and outs something like that...quarter back had just been sacked they were facing another third and long...I look to the sidelines I could tell paterno was pissed at the previous play so I whatched him walk over to the QB coach yank off his head set grab him by the collar and yell at him to change the play with about 15 seconds on the play clock...so mcqueery the qbs coach signals in what was basically an autabile at that point...paterno walks away about 10 yards the opposite way doesn't even whatch the play...a 60 some yard wide open bomb for 6...I immediately looked back at paterno after the touchdown and he's looking up at the big screen whatching the replay afterwards he just wonders away...that was prolly the sweetest thing I've ever seen sports wise
    Slick
    Thats strictly your opinion and not based on fact. Why you are trying to hang your hat on that idiotic arguement makes no sense. We all know you have this super man crush on Jo Pa but its time to snap back to reality.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by rutlandbison View Post
    Rex Grossman ran a spread that was like what Mike Leach runs. It can hide a QB's flaws because of the very open passing lanes. That is why scouts sometimes question the ability of some spread QB's to make "NFL" type throws. Complex kinda.
    Quote Originally Posted by rutlandbison View Post
    Not the spread. Triple option, not even close to the spread.
    Read the whole post fella. Scouts and prototypical NFL QB? Would it have been better if I woulda said they use a QB that doesn't project well to the next level? Why does it always have to be about guys getting to the NFL? Ya know, sometimes HC/OCs will use an offense that they think will help them win games. Remember a guy named Vince Young though? He was touted as a guy who could do it all as is God's son, Tim Tebow. And you're still hung on the Rex Grossman thing huh? Steve Spurrier would kick you in the head if you called his offense the spread. Fun 'n Gun. Big differences with the way the RB is used....

Maybe its been a few years for you since ya watched a Navy or GT game. Paul Johnson was instituting the spread option at Navy and is doing the same at GT. When they start running the offense outta the gun, it kinda loses triple option label. But to be fair, how bout we call it the triple spread option?

I can almost guarantee we won't be running the spread. None of it was run during spring ball. Not going to learn it in 1 mo. in the fall. How would 4 or 5 receivers help our situation...we had trouble checking off of the 1st receiver all year!

Notorious is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Not that difficult....like fast break offense in BB...route trees....quick/hot reads....mismatches.....allows for a QB with less arm strength, height, pocket poise, etc.

The difficulty lies in changing your entire offensive philosophy in fall camp. Not likely.

If there was any major changes planned, our daily Bisonville reports from spring camp would've indicated some noticeable changes in the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Trampled View Post
    I can almost guarantee we won't be running the spread. None of it was run during spring ball. Not going to learn it in 1 mo. in the fall. How would 4 or 5 receivers help our situation...we had trouble checking off of the 1st receiver all year!
    The reads are a lot more simple/quick in a spread type offense. It would actually work to our favor IMO.

Change to the spread? I don't think Bohl can afford a losing season, and our offense was dominate in 2006 and 2007. Like any offense, if you can't execute it won't be effective, and execution was a major problem at a number of positions last year(QB, WR, OL).
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.