Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Woody #10 retired?

Default Re: Woody #10 retired?

Quote Originally Posted by B1SON View Post
    PL...I don't want to sound insensative, but major college sports did not even know who Sindorm or Bentrim were. They played Division II football. Walker only briefly for beating the Goofers, but why we all love and admire Walker was for accomplishments during FCS games, games that major college football don't really acknowledge. Please don't get me wrong. I am born and raised in Fargo and have supported and admired the Bison forever, in fact, Bentrim broke all my dad's NCC rushing and scoring records, so I appreciate the level of competition, but their accomplshments would not have gotten them on Sports Center today, in fact Walker beating Minnesota did not make Sports Center (made college football today instead). Woodside with the help of others put NDSU on the map, in fact, Linda Cohn said it best "#13 Wisconsin had their impressive non-conference home winning streak snapped today by North Dakota State. North Dakota State you say? Yeah, North Dakota State is a basketball team in their 1st year of transition to Division 1 sports. You've likely never heard of North Dakota State, so we will introduce them to you. North Dakota State is located in Fargo, ND with an enrollment of 12,000 students....etc." She didn't say, you probably remember Jeff Bentrim. Dick Vitale called Woody "the Janitor" that day because the media guide said he was a janitor in the dorms during his red shirt year. The accoplishments of the past have been acknowldged and appreciated by EVERYONE throughout the Dakotas and the NCC, but thats NOT the map and Ben Woodside helped put us on it. NDSU has gotten MAJOR press on Sports Center (the acknowledged "map" for college sports) 4 times probably ever. #1......Wisconsin, #2......Marquette, #3.......Summit Championship, #4........Kansas. See a trend??????? WOODSIDE accomplished more as far as putting us on the "national map" of the national casual sports fan than ANY OTHER player in the history of NDSU sports. Will someone be better??? I hope so. BUT, they can never again saying they started from nothing and made a ton. Woody did that. Now they will inherit a ton and hopefully do a ton more. I think my signature picture says it all.....retire the man's jersey.
    I understand what you are saying. I just dont think 'Exposure" is a reason.
    I would also be hard pressed to retire his jersey over a player who is in the Bison Hall of Fame, Harlon Hill Trophy award winner is in the College Football Hall of Fame and doesnt have his jersey retired.

But I do appreciate your view point!!!!!!
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I understand what you are saying. I just dont think 'Exposure" is a reason.
    I would also be hard pressed to retire his jersey over a player who is in the Bison Hall of Fame, Harlon Hill Trophy award winner is in the College Football Hall of Fame and doesnt have his jersey retired.

But I do appreciate your view point!!!!!!
    I can't argue with anything you just said. In fact, I'd argue to retire Bentrim for everything they accomplished on the field, dominating the level of competition he played at like no other player. NDSU basketball never really accomplished much at D2. Everyone said when we went D1, that FCS football is the old D2, nothing more. Therefore, we will never be acknowledged nationally, like other D1 programs. Ben Woodside and company took care of that. Thanks Woody! Thats what I was hoping for someday and you have delivered for 4 straight years. When I go to a conference and someone sees something NDSU I am wearing they usually say. "You have that Cinderella basketball team..right? " I proudly say yes. Its a lot better than when they say "Your really good in that sport, hockey, right". I then think. "Ummm. where do I start???"

As great as Woodside was/is, how can you talk about retiring his jersey for all of the reasons previously advanced AND after seeing what some of the Bison Track and Field Athletes did (and no one is talking about retiring Hermanson's jersey).

Retiring a jersey is so rare...and for good reason.
    Go Jackrabbits!

Quote Originally Posted by JackJD View Post
    As great as Woodside was/is, how can you talk about retiring his jersey for all of the reasons previously advanced AND after seeing what some of the Bison Track and Field Athletes did (and no one is talking about retiring Hermanson's jersey).

Retiring a jersey is so rare...and for good reason.
    What Laura did was nothing short of amazing, but it is track. Track is an amazing sport, but other than Sambini there aren't many begging for highlights on Sports Center!

What Laura did was nothing short of amazing, but it is track. Track is an amazing sport, but other than Sambini there aren't many begging for highlights on Sports Center!
    I understand that argument (more attention given to college basketball -- I'm a huge fan of college basketball) but when you look at athlete achievement, there's no comparison. Highlights on Sports Center also include soccer and hockey. Those get a big "WTF" from me. Hockey has a very small audience -- rabid supporters, no doubt, but not that many of them. If you want to consider crowd appeal, you'll have to take a broader view. For example, how popular is track and field at the Olympics? (More popular than basektball.) If sheer crowd size is your measurement, then the NASCAR fans will claim the title (they get Sports Center highlights, too) ... and don't forget rodeo. I've heard rodeo fans present logical arguments on why they're either the first or second-most watched sport. They sometimes have highlights on Sports Center too.

Athletes who have been arrested are featured on highlights on Sports Center.

For me, you talk about retiring jerseys, numbers etc., based on the highest athletic achievement. This year, that was Hermanson. One could argue that the next highest achievements were also track athletes at NDSU.
    Go Jackrabbits!

The next person will be honored to wear number 10. Just as the person who weres number 1. Its called tradition imo.
    Proud sponsor of SAMBINIS ATHLETICS TFA and SAMBOS TRACK CLUB

I can't argue with anything you just said. In fact, I'd argue to retire Bentrim for everything they accomplished on the field, dominating the level of competition he played at like no other player. NDSU basketball never really accomplished much at D2. Everyone said when we went D1, that FCS football is the old D2, nothing more. Therefore, we will never be acknowledged nationally, like other D1 programs. Ben Woodside and company took care of that. Thanks Woody! Thats what I was hoping for someday and you have delivered for 4 straight years. When I go to a conference and someone sees something NDSU I am wearing they usually say. "You have that Cinderella basketball team..right? " I proudly say yes. Its a lot better than when they say "Your really good in that sport, hockey, right". I then think. "Ummm. where do I start???"
    So basically your view point is based on the amount of exposure-press that NDSU has received?????
    I would think the criteria for the retiring of a jersey would be a tad more stringent dont you ?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    So basically your view point is based on the amount of exposure-press that NDSU has received?????
    I would think the criteria for the retiring of a jersey would be a tad more stringent dont you ?
    I think that sums it up quite well. There were some fabulous athletic achievements this year for the Bison but none justify retiring a jersey (or running singlet).

Woodside should ALWAYS have a picture and a special mini-feature story in the NDSU Winter Media book. What he did electrified not only NDSU fans, but the entire Summit League and many who knew nothing about NDSU basketball prior to this year.
    Go Jackrabbits!

Amazing that these old timers would even try to diminish woody. he is the 'identity' of NDSU @ D1 !

b1son is absolutely right, C B S + E S P N= WOODY.

retire it !! no question, D2 is for minot st,und.

Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
    Amazing that these old timers would even try to diminish woody. he is the 'identity' of NDSU @ D1 !

b1son is absolutely right, C B S + E S P N= WOODY.

retire it !! no question, D2 is for minot st,und.
    Lakes
    Nobody is or trying to diminish what he has accomplished personally. Its what the TEAM accomplished is what has brought NDSU the notoriety. But since you ARENT a TEAM kind of guy you wouldnt understand.
    Last edited by 56BISON73; 06-22-2009 at 04:54 AM.