Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Woody #10 retired?

Default Re: Woody #10 retired?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUFan_Sav View Post
    imo we should also retire the BSA from anymore use for basketball games because all of that magic started with that gym....and we should have the new arena paid for and ready to use by November

Yes Ben Woodsides jersey should be retired but not the number!
    That I can agree on.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

My thoughts on this issue revolve more around the team. How this particular group competed against high-major competition as individual players and as a team is how they are judged by followers and observers of college basketball in general.

While there overall record against high-major competition was not that great, we all know the big wins and the close games they had but more importantly they never really got blown out by high major teams which is highly unusual. They always competed.

Woody was never outclassed by any point guard he faced. Truly could have been a stand out point guard for any team in the country.

Winks was held down scoring wise sometimes by the bigger small forwards he saw at the high-major level but always rebounded and hit big shots when the team needed him to score.

Nelson's scoring numbers frequently increased against high major teams while guarding the opposing teams best perimeter scorer night in and night out. Pretty much a model in consistency his whole career in every facet of the game.

Moorman was the only real post defense we had when Andre left. This team simply would not have been able to compete with any high major team without him and quite frankly this whole program would have been just another mid-major team hardly anyone has ever heard of without him.

Tweidt came on this last year to be that addtional scorer any teams needs to win games. His athleticism as a 6'7" wing player is big time.

What happens as far as to the future success of the Bison Mens program will be determined by what kind of players want to come in and follow what this group has started. Because of the run these guys had, I think it is possible we will get good players that can follow them up with more success in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBlogger View Post
    My thoughts on this issue revolve more around the team. How this particular group competed against high-major competition as individual players and as a team is how they are judged by followers and observers of college basketball in general.

While there overall record against high-major competition was not that great, we all know the big wins and the close games they had but more importantly they never really got blown out by high major teams which is highly unusual. They always competed.

Woody was never outclassed by any point guard he faced. Truly could have been a stand out point guard for any team in the country.

Winks was held down scoring wise sometimes by the bigger small forwards he saw at the high-major level but always rebounded and hit big shots when the team needed him to score.

Nelson's scoring numbers frequently increased against high major teams while guarding the opposing teams best perimeter scorer night in and night out. Pretty much a model in consistency his whole career in every facet of the game.

Moorman was the only real post defense we had when Andre left. This team simply would not have been able to compete with any high major team without him and quite frankly this whole program would have been just another mid-major team hardly anyone has ever heard of without him.

Tweidt came on this last year to be that addtional scorer any teams needs to win games. His athleticism as a 6'7" wing player is big time.

What happens as far as to the future success of the Bison Mens program will be determined by what kind of players want to come in and follow what this group has started. Because of the run these guys had, I think it is possible we will get good players that can follow them up with more success in the future.
    I think that can be said of almost any Bison athletic program. Generations of athletes have come and gone to lay the ground work to where this team came in. Its an on going process for all teams.
    Thats why Im not one to jump on the retire anybodies jersey bandwagon because they did what they were supposed to do. But thats just me.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I think that can be said of almost any Bison athletic program. Generations of athletes have come and gone to lay the ground work to where this team came in. Its an on going process for all teams.
    Thats why Im not one to jump on the retire anybodies jersey bandwagon because they did what they were supposed to do. But thats just me.
    I don't think anyone would disagree with that but in college sports, no event is bigger than the NCAA tournament IMO. It is millions of people worldwide that get interested in this event and do the brackets.

It is the only opportunity really for a mid-major sports program to get national publicity and recognition. Because this team got national exposure like no other sports team in the history of North Dakota, it should bode well for future recruiting for all sports.

They put NDSU on the map.

I don't know if Woody just did what he was supposed to do. Without his shot we don't go to the dance. I believe the jersey should be retired. Also just b/c it would feel wrong to see someone else wearing #10.

BRING BACK SNORTY

Quote Originally Posted by onbison09 View Post
    I don't know if Woody just did what he was supposed to do. Without his shot we don't go to the dance. I believe the jersey should be retired. Also just b/c it would feel wrong to see someone else wearing #10.
    In the words of the GREAT Sambini......"+++++++++++++++++++++++++" .

Quote Originally Posted by onbison09 View Post
    So if he didnt make the shot do you would think that his jersey-number should be retired? Just asking.

PL...to answet your question from my point of view............

Quote Originally Posted by B1SON View Post
    JJ Redick was arguably not the best point guard to ever play at Duke (Bobby Hurley) but he put Duke on the National map that year and had an amazing career (why they retired it). What Woody has done and continues to do for NDSU basketball cannot be measured. He is a legend! Pure and simple. No one EVER believed we could have had that kind of success in 5 years of transition. Now we are on the map and that affects everything from things such as attendance at games and future players who committ to come to NDSU to overall student enrollment and research dollars. Did he do it all? Absolutely not! It is a team game and specific names likes Winks, Dre, Nelly, and Luke had huge impacts. Tveidt, Freddy, Carlson in the last couple years. BUT, when you mention HUGE things like Wisconsin, you say Woody had ice in his veins when he stepped up and hit those freethrows, he hit "The shot" in the Summitt Championship. He is the All-Time everything leader in NDSU basketball history. He tied Pistol Pete's NCAA record for freethrows in a game. He scored the most points by any one player in the 2009 NCAA Tournament. The list is endless. Basically, he accomplished in a career, EVERYTHING a kid from a midmajor could ever dream to accomplish (other than make a run in the NCAA tourney) and at a school transitioning to D1 where he only got one shot at the NCAAs. After he gets drafted in the 2nd round and makes an NBA roster, the argument will be a done deal, he deserves to have his jersey retired. Has has done more (as recognized by college basketball nation) than any other player before him and probably in the future. Ask Lance Burwald or Jeff Askew who followed the team all season. He is the best (and the first to admit that without great teammates would not have accomplished 1/2 of what he did) and I am honored to have followed this team and him for the last 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBlogger View Post
    I don't think anyone would disagree with that but in college sports, no event is bigger than the NCAA tournament IMO. It is millions of people worldwide that get interested in this event and do the brackets.

It is the only opportunity really for a mid-major sports program to get national publicity and recognition. Because this team got national exposure like no other sports team in the history of North Dakota, it should bode well for future recruiting for all sports.

They put NDSU on the map.
    I find that statement interesting as Im sure it was used when the Bison Beat Grambling back in the 60s. It was used when the won the Camillia Bowl and National championships. It was used when the Bison beat the Gophers in FB. Plus many other times that Im not aware of.

When ever the Bison do real well the fans of that era declare the best ever etc because thats in their short collective memory. Happened with Sidrom, Walker, Bentrim etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Happened with Sidrom, Walker, Bentrim etc.
    PL...I don't want to sound insensative, but major college sports did not even know who Sindorm or Bentrim were. They played Division II football. Walker only briefly for beating the Goofers, but why we all love and admire Walker was for accomplishments during FCS games, games that major college football don't really acknowledge. Please don't get me wrong. I am born and raised in Fargo and have supported and admired the Bison forever, in fact, Bentrim broke all my dad's NCC rushing and scoring records, so I appreciate the level of competition, but their accomplshments would not have gotten them on Sports Center today, in fact Walker beating Minnesota did not make Sports Center (made college football today instead). Woodside with the help of others put NDSU on the map, in fact, Linda Cohn said it best "#13 Wisconsin had their impressive non-conference home winning streak snapped today by North Dakota State. North Dakota State you say? Yeah, North Dakota State is a basketball team in their 1st year of transition to Division 1 sports. You've likely never heard of North Dakota State, so we will introduce them to you. North Dakota State is located in Fargo, ND with an enrollment of 12,000 students....etc." She didn't say, you probably remember Jeff Bentrim. Dick Vitale called Woody "the Janitor" that day because the media guide said he was a janitor in the dorms during his red shirt year. The accoplishments of the past have been acknowldged and appreciated by EVERYONE throughout the Dakotas and the NCC, but thats NOT the map and Ben Woodside helped put us on it. NDSU has gotten MAJOR press on Sports Center (the acknowledged "map" for college sports) 4 times probably ever. #1......Wisconsin, #2......Marquette, #3.......Summit Championship, #4........Kansas. See a trend??????? WOODSIDE accomplished more as far as putting us on the "national map" of the national casual sports fan than ANY OTHER player in the history of NDSU sports. Will someone be better??? I hope so. BUT, they can never again saying they started from nothing and made a ton. Woody did that. Now they will inherit a ton and hopefully do a ton more. I think my signature picture says it all.....retire the man's jersey.