Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Woody #10 retired?

Notorious is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Woody #10 retired?

Quote Originally Posted by B1SON View Post
    JJ Redick was arguably not the best point guard to ever play at Duke (Bobby Hurley) but he put Duke on the National map that year and had an amazing career (why they retired it). What Woody has done and continues to do for NDSU basketball cannot be measured. He is a legend! Pure and simple. No one EVER believed we could have had that kind of success in 5 years of transition. Now we are on the map and that affects everything from things such as attendance at games and future players who committ to come to NDSU to overall student enrollment and research dollars. Did he do it all? Absolutely not! It is a team game and specific names likes Winks, Dre, Nelly, and Luke had huge impacts. Tveidt, Freddy, Carlson in the last couple years. BUT, when you mention HUGE things like Wisconsin, you say Woody had ice in his veins when he stepped up and hit those freethrows, he hit "The shot" in the Summitt Championship. He is the All-Time everything leader in NDSU basketball history. He tied Pistol Pete's NCAA record for freethrows in a game. He scored the most points by any one player in the 2009 NCAA Tournament. The list is endless. Basically, he accomplished in a career, EVERYTHING a kid from a midmajor could ever dream to accomplish (other than make a run in the NCAA tourney) and at a school transitioning to D1 where he only got one shot at the NCAAs. After he gets drafted in the 2nd round and makes an NBA roster, the argument will be a done deal, he deserves to have his jersey retired. Has has done more (as recognized by college basketball nation) than any other player before him and probably in the future. Ask Lance Burwald or Jeff Askew who followed the team all season. He is the best (and the first to admit that without great teammates would not have accomplished 1/2 of what he did) and I am honored to have followed this team and him for the last 5 years.
    Sounds about right to me!

I would back retiring number 10. Woodside will always be a legend at NDSU.
    Last edited by WYOBISONMAN; 06-13-2009 at 04:31 AM.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Just do what KU does. Retire the jersey and not the number. Basically they just hang a banner up with the players name and number but the number is not officially retired but the player gets recognized.

I've honestly always thought that #1 in football should be retired, especially when we have thugs wearing it now, kind of a shame.

#5 FOREVER "NOTORIOUS"

woody better have his jersey retired, first game.

not another game should be played at NDSU until this is done.

He is the SOLE reason NDSU basketball is known to millions of americans!

JJ Redick was arguably not the best point guard to ever play at Duke (Bobby Hurley) but he put Duke on the National map that year and had an amazing career (why they retired it). What Woody has done and continues to do for NDSU basketball cannot be measured. He is a legend! Pure and simple. No one EVER believed we could have had that kind of success in 5 years of transition. Now we are on the map and that affects everything from things such as attendance at games and future players who committ to come to NDSU to overall student enrollment and research dollars. Did he do it all? Absolutely not! It is a team game and specific names likes Winks, Dre, Nelly, and Luke had huge impacts. Tveidt, Freddy, Carlson in the last couple years. BUT, when you mention HUGE things like Wisconsin, you say Woody had ice in his veins when he stepped up and hit those freethrows, he hit "The shot" in the Summitt Championship. He is the All-Time everything leader in NDSU basketball history. He tied Pistol Pete's NCAA record for freethrows in a game. He scored the most points by any one player in the 2009 NCAA Tournament. The list is endless. Basically, he accomplished in a career, EVERYTHING a kid from a midmajor could ever dream to accomplish (other than make a run in the NCAA tourney) and at a school transitioning to D1 where he only got one shot at the NCAAs. After he gets drafted in the 2nd round and makes an NBA roster, the argument will be a done deal, he deserves to have his jersey retired. Has has done more (as recognized by college basketball nation) than any other player before him and probably in the future. Ask Lance Burwald or Jeff Askew who followed the team all season. He is the best (and the first to admit that without great teammates would not have accomplished 1/2 of what he did) and I am honored to have followed this team and him for the last 5 years.
    They retired his jersey because he was the Adolf F. Rupp Athlete of the year two years in a row. I know UNC retires the number of any player that gets that award. I don't believe that Duke does but I would guess most of them did...and no other Duke player has ever won it more that once. Matter of fact only 2 others have ever done it since the award was created. JJ was the first since the early 80's. I see the argument for retiring his jersey but I vote no.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post
    woody better have his jersey retired, first game.

not another game should be played at NDSU until this is done.

He is the SOLE reason NDSU basketball is known to millions of americans!
    Yeah he's the SOLE reason. It had nothing to do with the fact that 2 other players on the team are in the top 10 scorers in NDSU history too. It had nothing to do with the fact that Nelson could defend anybody in the nation. It had nothing to do with Tweets play that kept NDSU in the championship game. You're right it was all Ben.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan View Post
    Yeah he's the SOLE reason. It had nothing to do with the fact that 2 other players on the team are in the top 10 scorers in NDSU history too. It had nothing to do with the fact that Nelson could defend anybody in the nation. It had nothing to do with Tweets play that kept NDSU in the championship game. You're right it was all Ben.
    Don't forget Dre as well. He was the big brother that helped everyone get comfortable before letting them lose on their own. Yeah, Nelly had 3 of his biggest games of his career vs. Wisconsin, Marquette, and the Bracket Buster. Don't let Lakes get you worked up...he'll always be Lakes. If he said that to my face, I look at him like he was crazy and then he'd start laughing and say "just kidding, but he was the man, right?" and I'd agree.

Don't forget Dre as well. He was the big brother that helped everyone get comfortable before letting them lose on their own. Yeah, Nelly had 3 of his biggest games of his career vs. Wisconsin, Marquette, and the Bracket Buster. Don't let Lakes get you worked up...he'll always be Lakes. If he said that to my face, I look at him like he was crazy and then he'd start laughing and say "just kidding, but he was the man, right?" and I'd agree.
    Yeah I know. I was already 3/4 of the way into my rant before I even realized who I was ranting about.

imo we should also retire the BSA from anymore use for basketball games because all of that magic started with that gym....and we should have the new arena paid for and ready to use by November

Yes Ben Woodsides jersey should be retired but not the number!
    "We All From Africa"