Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Woody #10 retired?

Default Woody #10 retired?

can we retire #10 ? First Conference Home Game!

This is absolutely the right thing to do!!!

Default Re: Woody #10 retired?

Only if they retire Phil's number.

When Ben gets that multi-jabillion dollar NBA contract and builds us a new basketball arena, I'm sure that the #10 jersey will be hanging there!

533 In a row

No. IMHO, maybe they could do something like a 5yr retirement.

I said it in another thread. I understand the team philosophy, but if ever a jersey was to be retired, it's Ben's. I vote to retire his jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by B1SON View Post
    I said it in another thread. I understand the team philosophy, but if ever a jersey was to be retired, it's Ben's. I vote to retire his jersey.
    I have heard some people argue that Ben may not even be the best pure point guard in Bison history. Craig Aamodt is mentioned often as the best pure point guard for the Bison. I'm not sure about that, but I don't think that college is the place to retire jerseys.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Naw, you don't retire college jerseys. I vote no.

I vote no.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    I have heard some people argue that Ben may not even be the best pure point guard in Bison history. Craig Aamodt is mentioned often as the best pure point guard for the Bison. I'm not sure about that, but I don't think that collegeis the place to retire jerseys.
    JJ Redick was arguably not the best point guard to ever play at Duke (Bobby Hurley) but he put Duke on the National map that year and had an amazing career (why they retired it). What Woody has done and continues to do for NDSU basketball cannot be measured. He is a legend! Pure and simple. No one EVER believed we could have had that kind of success in 5 years of transition. Now we are on the map and that affects everything from things such as attendance at games and future players who committ to come to NDSU to overall student enrollment and research dollars. Did he do it all? Absolutely not! It is a team game and specific names likes Winks, Dre, Nelly, and Luke had huge impacts. Tveidt, Freddy, Carlson in the last couple years. BUT, when you mention HUGE things like Wisconsin, you say Woody had ice in his veins when he stepped up and hit those freethrows, he hit "The shot" in the Summitt Championship. He is the All-Time everything leader in NDSU basketball history. He tied Pistol Pete's NCAA record for freethrows in a game. He scored the most points by any one player in the 2009 NCAA Tournament. The list is endless. Basically, he accomplished in a career, EVERYTHING a kid from a midmajor could ever dream to accomplish (other than make a run in the NCAA tourney) and at a school transitioning to D1 where he only got one shot at the NCAAs. After he gets drafted in the 2nd round and makes an NBA roster, the argument will be a done deal, he deserves to have his jersey retired. Has has done more (as recognized by college basketball nation) than any other player before him and probably in the future. Ask Lance Burwald or Jeff Askew who followed the team all season. He is the best (and the first to admit that without great teammates would not have accomplished 1/2 of what he did) and I am honored to have followed this team and him for the last 5 years.

heckler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post
    can we retire #10 ? First Conference Home Game!

This is absolutely the right thing to do!!!
    stupid not to