Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Ding-dong the Witch is Dead

Shawn-O Guest

Default Re: Ding-dong the Witch is Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    I think NDSU has the market cornered on the ND state outline around the logo. I have an NDSU flag in my apartment with the state outline around the NDSU logo, so I'm not sure how that goes...
    I highly doubt that you have any rights to the shape of North Dakota in a logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn-O View Post
    Well, all I'm saying is we did it first, not that we have any legal right to it or anything, but it's not like you guys have a history of copying any logos of other college teams or NHL teams...
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Shawn-O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    Well, all I'm saying is we did it first, not that we have any legal right to it or anything, but it's not like you guys have a history of copying any logos of other college teams or NHL teams...
    I know that no one will be copying your avatar...that thing's hideous.

A SiouxSports.com poster came up with this concept, and it's pretty good.

So Shawn, you guys will become the North Dakota Nobody's? I don't get how anyone can be just "North Dakota". You need a nickname and a mascot for crying out loud.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    So Shawn, you guys will become the North Dakota Nobody's? I don't get how anyone can be just "North Dakota". You need a nickname and a mascot for crying out loud.
    Now that is a good idea for a monkier. The 'North Dakota Fighting NoNicks'. Kind of a takeoff on Nodaks?
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

Shawn-O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    There's no reason to rush, it might be just North Dakota for a year or two.

I have the rights. I also have the rights to Florida (because it looks like the, well you know, of the United States), Alabama and Utah. Anyone looking to purchase them can send money to my Paypal. Until then, I'm sending out C&D orders.

Looks like DaveK has to find a new team to root for after his comment on SS

Bison fans get exciited about scheduling a meaningless non-conference game against the Gophers... not me. Besides, if the name changes it becomes a moot point as the Sioux would no longer exist at that point in time.
    hmmm....he can't handle the change
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Hansel is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Effective immediately- I will be referring to UND as "The Flamers" in all communications until further notice

Since I actually don't feel like bashing UND much since those smirky jerks Kupchella, Thomas, et al aren't running the show anymore, I'll try to be serious (to a point). The perfect college nickname is short (one or two syllables), starts with a consonant, is unique, evokes powerful imagery and has ties to the college's area. Few, if any, nicknames can embody all of those things. For example, I was trying to think of which dinosaur once found in North Dakota would make a good mascot but, for example, take Triceratops: Great imagery, too many syllables. That same problem rules out my joke suggestion: The <insert present participle of your choice> pachycephalosaurids (for the "humor" in that you'll have to find out what pachycephalosaurus means in Greek).

I do have one serious suggestion for a new nickname: Honyockers (pronounced "hun-yahkers). This is what they called farmers in ranch country. It's a word that fits the pattern of Sooners, Hoosiers, etc as one of those really obscure terms that an institution like UND can put whatever meaning they want into. In addition, "honyockers" is one of the only words that came into English usage in North Dakota. While it pretty much means the same thing as "sod buster" or "homesteader", it had a definite negative connotation back in the day; however, it has all but vanished from use and therefore its meaning is malleable. The only reason I know about it is that my great-great-grandma homesteaded with her boys down in SW North Dakota / NW South Dakota. My great grandpa later wrote that the ranchers called him "honyocker" as a good-natured insult (I mean, the ranchers out there helped the family pick out a good homestead site so they weren't exactly hostile).

Edit: Despite the fact that this idea will never go anywhere, I've wasted some time finding some background links:

http://lynnwrite.blogspot.com/2007/0...cker-jehu.html
    http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/vie...php?f=7&t=1747

If nothing else, I bet the folks without western North Dakota roots (and aren't as old as dirt) might have learned something from this post, albeit a pretty useless something - that might be a first for me!

Of course, if UND is true to form, they'll use NDSU as their lodestar yet again and pick a nickname that has Thunder or Lightning in it.
    Last edited by tony; 05-18-2009 at 01:54 PM.