Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nate Wolters verbals to SDSU

Default Re: Nate Wolters verbals to SDSU

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Yes, I think you are correct about which positions these guys will play. Wolters has PG skills and he prefers that position, but he also has the size to play the 2 spot easily. I don't think Wolters was likely scared off by the prospect of competing with the two guards that NDSU had already signed in his class. Now, when you add Lundberg to the mix, the situation is a bit murkier. Lundberg is very likely to be a starter next year, and he will be only a sophomore.

SDSU has two pretty good guards coming back in Garrett Callahan and Clint Sargent. I wouldn't expect Wolters to beat out either of those guys next year, but Callahan will be a senior. The backup point guard last year, Michael Palarca, is a marginal player. So, at worst, I'd see Wolters as the #2 PG for the Jacks. Nagy often played 3 or 4 guards together in the second half of last season, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Wolters on the court with Callahan and Sargent either.
    Wolters is being brought in as a point guard. That's an obvious need for us. I would like to say the Jacks won some big recruiting battle, but i think it was a simple matter of playing time that is available.

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Callahan & Sargent generally played the 2, with Palarca starting at the 1.

As to Wolters, I think it's about more than just playing time. Not trying to get smackish, or anything, just saying that it's about more than just playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa View Post

As to Wolters, I think it's about more than just playing time. Not trying to get smackish, or anything, just saying that it's about more than just playing time.

Looks like he can start right away, Palarca is very marginal, I wouldn't even take Palarca over Vaughan. I still think NDSU backing off was a part of this, SDSU never really pulled back, he kind of pulled back from them(which is still the part I don't get about this whole thing).
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Wolters must really like sunshine blown up his _____.... not gonna happen in Brookings....... someone should tell the kid that Brookings is a womens basketball town!!!
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I will say the first comment was kind of in jest, I do like Wolters as a player, just had to throw a little jab towards the Jacks for nabbing a guy we wanted.

I do agree that SDSU is his best shot to get a lot of playing time right away, that probably had more to do with it then the competition here. NDSU pulling back on recruiting him after we signed Felt also probably didn't help.
    Those both go hand-in-hand though...

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Wolters is an excellent player and would have been great as a bison. The fact that he siged down south doesn't change that. Over the next few years we will lament the fact that he is not a bison.

He had the ball in his hands at SC Tech out of necessity. He moves well without the ball and will be used primarily as a 2 guard. He scores well at the hoop and will challenge bigger players. I agree, he probably was interested in NDSU early on and miffed that he was not offered. When you call him after the state tournament and say, OH I guess we are interested, it probably doesn't go over well.

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
    Those both go hand-in-hand though...
    That is true to an extent but SDSU does run a more guard orientated offense than does NDSU so that should create more opportunities for him.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa View Post

Even though it's his natural position, Sargent seldom played the 2. He played the 3 and also logged a fair amount of time at the 1.

He actually would have most likely received more time if he came to NDSU.

The Jacks bring back two starting guards, Callahan 16ppg, and Sargent 14 ppg.

NDSU brings back Lundberg (played in 5 games at UNI and scored 9 pts) and Vaughn (3 ppg)

Behind Callahan the Jacks have JR Dale Moss (6ppg, might start over Sargent next year) and SO Griffan Callahan (6pts), JR Palarca probably won't see the court much next season. The Jacks also bring in PG/SG Chad White 6'7 and PG Brayden Carlson 6'5. SDSU has also signed a 6'5 Guard who put up 50pts as a sophmore this year.

NDSU's back ups are JR Freddy Coleman (2ppg) and SR Pennick. They bring in Felt and Zastrow.

Personally, I have no idea why Wolters decided on SDSU besides what he said, "get's minutes, liked coaches, DI close to home, and program on the rise" I think it also doesn't hurt that SDSU recruited him from the start instead of coming in late like NDSU.

I just hope his Dad is happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO JACKS
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.