Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Laura Roesler

MontBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Laura Roesler

There is a better chance that ND becomes a tropical paradise next year then Laura going to ndsu.

Quote Originally Posted by MontBison View Post
    There is a better chance that ND becomes a tropical paradise next year then Laura going to ndsu.
    Well, her auto-qualifying time for this year's state meet was 2:08.87 and her winning time was 2:13.92. Not exactly big time numbers. I know she has run 2:03...something, but not consistantly. Will she improve (ala Laura Hermanson)? Most likely. Is she too good to run at NDSU? Nope. Not right now anyway.

MontBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

She will be going to a PAC 10 school and yes she is too good to run at NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by MontBison View Post
    She will be going to a PAC 10 school and yes she is too good to run at NDSU
    "Too good" is kind of subjective right now because of her age as well as her competition. She seems to be inconsistent because of the varying levels of her competition. So we really don't know how good she can be. If she was a Bison this year, she would be our second best 800 runner. I would even argue that Brittany G. would be our second and Roesler #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    "Too good" is kind of subjective right now because of her age as well as her competition. She seems to be inconsistent because of the varying levels of her competition. So we really don't know how good she can be. If she was a Bison this year, she would be our second best 800 runner. I would even argue that Brittany G. would be our second and Roesler #3.
    Nobody is too good to run at NDSU unless they are too good to stay amateur.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Nobody is too good to run at NDSU unless they are too good to stay amateur.
    Indeed.

Among the high school elites in 2009:
    Her 800 meter best (2:06.20) (not in the state meet) ranks 4th.
    Her 800 meter time at the state meet was 2:13.92.
    Her 400 meter state meet best (55.10) ranks tied for 53rd.*
    Her 200 meter state meet best (24.66) missed the top 100 by .22 seconds.*
    Her 100 meter state meet best (12.41) missed the top 100 by .51 seconds.*

*I don't know if she has better times posted for the 100, 200, and 400 in non-state meets.

Don't get me wrong.....I hope she's Olympic champion some day!
    Just remember that track and field nationally is loaded with some super athletes. In the 800 meters, she's clearly among the cream of the crop and will likely not be as diverse with her events in college. Is her 800 meter ability enough to land her a scholarship to a "big time" school? Yes, indeed. But as was pointed out in a previous post, that may not even be good enough to be the best in that event in the post Hermanson era at NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Indeed.

Among the high school elites in 2009:
    Her 800 meter best (2:06.20) (not in the state meet) ranks 4th.
    Her 800 meter time at the state meet was 2:13.92.
    Her 400 meter state meet best (55.10) ranks tied for 53rd.*
    Her 200 meter state meet best (24.66) missed the top 100 by .22 seconds.*
    Her 100 meter state meet best (12.41) missed the top 100 by .51 seconds.*
    WOW!!! That is an amazing resume! As far as I'm concerned, Roesler is one of the very top HS track athletes in the country - but I don't think that precludes her (or anybody else) from going to NDSU. I'd be willing to bet she cracks 2:00 while in college if she stays healthy. Track is a no BS sport - your time is not going to be discounted because you ran for NDSU.

Per yesterday's forum, Laura finished 6th in the Jr. Pan Am games with a 2.07. Chantell (sp) Price who's going to be a sophmore at U Tenn took 2nd.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

You cant use her times at the state meet to compare against other runners around the country. She ran 7 races in 2 days including prelims in the 100, 200, and 400. Her objective there is to win 4 events and score 40 points for her team, which she has done every year since she was an 8th grader. There is not a college track coach in the country who doesnt know who she is. She can pretty much go to the school of her choosing!

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    You cant use her times at the state meet to compare against other runners around the country. She ran 7 races in 2 days including prelims in the 100, 200, and 400. Her objective there is to win 4 events and score 40 points for her team, which she has done every year since she was an 8th grader. There is not a college track coach in the country who doesnt know who she is. She can pretty much go to the school of her choosing!
    I don't think anbody could possibly disagree with that. She is phenomenal.

That said, don't sell NDSU short. Since 2004, Kinsey Coles, Sarah Klein, Laura Hermanson, and Brittany Gigstead have all run 2:08 or better... they are the four top 800 runners in NDSU history.

Now, how many schools out there are doing a better job of developing 800 runners lately? It's really pretty amazing.