Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Flood 2009

Default Re: Flood 2009

Quote Originally Posted by patssle View Post
    Ah, I was just trying to get an idea of what areas are affected from when I was up there for the SHSU football game in 2007. With all the photos of the Fargodome (wierd seeing all that dirt in there after standing in the same spot on the sidelines of a football game) being used as a staging ground, I'm guessing that and the university was/is safe from the waters?
    Very safe but a large chunk of city isn't so lucky, especially the southern half. There are a lot of temporary dikes scattered all over but nothing really around NDSU.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Ah, I was just trying to get an idea of what areas are affected from when I was up there for the SHSU football game in 2007. With all the photos of the Fargodome (wierd seeing all that dirt in there after standing in the same spot on the sidelines of a football game) being used as a staging ground, I'm guessing that and the university was/is safe from the waters?
    Yes the campus and FD are fine, the water has dropped nearly 2ft with little MAJOR damage in Fargo or Moorhead, they did lose some buildings at a Private school along the river in Fargo. I just hope they don't tear down the secondary Levees until we are snow free as I still think this damn river will jump again in a week or 2
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

heckler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Time to play a lot of call of duty
    I'm playing that in real life lol. Guard members will still be walking the dikes and around the neighborhoods to make sure everyone is well. Please don't hesitate to ask for help or information. If you want to know what area I am in PM me... we always enjoy "real" food vs. MREs Fargo is an awesome community and I can't be more proud of my fellow NDSU students!

My only worry: I know NDSU has to start up again and when that happens I will still be on orders and because I work 12-16 hours a day I have no time to get assignments done. Suggestions anyone? When the flood drops down the guard will continue their duty north moving with the flood.

Here are some maps. In the first two, the biggest problems are the green areas. These are the neighborhoods that are trapped between sandbag and contingency dikes. The light blue sections are those threatened by a ~39 foot crest. The Fargodome is located at a 45 degree angle northeast from the O in FARGO. The second map shows all the problem areas that make up southern Fargo. Note: most of those colored areas are protected by multiple layers of protection. Catastrophic failures by multiple dikes would be required to flood most of those sections away from the river.

Preliminary Floodplain Map North Side (pdf)
    Preliminary Floodplain Map South Side (pdf)

This map is an up-to-date layout of all the current dikes and their types. It also has the neighborhood names listed so you can follow along at home with your news broadcasts. The Fargodome is located at the intersection of 19th Ave N and two blocks west of 10th St N(directly south of the word "Golf" in "Edgewood Golf Course" and on the south side of 19th Ave N).

Flood Fight Locations(pdf)

heckler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

FYI... The wind will be picking up producing good size waves so please keep an eye out for your dikes.

Here's a good recap and images from the Boston Globe. Some of these images are from Bismarck. Check out comment 37...sums up the people in this area well.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200...stPop_Emailed6

I just don't want people (Hoeven/Guard/Dorgan, etc...) to forget about us out here in Bismarck. With 17" of snow, and the huge ice jams, we could have a terrible situation unfold this weekend...

#5 FOREVER "NOTORIOUS"

Quote Originally Posted by heckler_of_the_north View Post
    My only worry: I know NDSU has to start up again and when that happens I will still be on orders and because I work 12-16 hours a day I have no time to get assignments done. Suggestions anyone? When the flood drops down the guard will continue their duty north moving with the flood.

Been there, done that. The most important thing is to make sure that (1) your first-line supervisor in the Guard knows about your situation, and (2) every professor knows the same. It is an NCO's job to make sure his troops are in a position to succeed, both in uniform, and out. Also, a distraction 'in the outside world' is not good thing when your full attention is needed in uniform. Regarding the academic side... I'm sure that someone like B1SON has a lot more insight into the mind of a college professor, but there is one thing that is absolutely certain - Most professors very genuinely care about their students and will do what they can to make sure that every student has a chance to succeed. Failing that... Noone wants to be accused of hindering military service / being unpatriotic.

Tell everyone what's up, and they should all work with you to make things work out.*

*if not, send pm. i've had difficult supervisors, uncaring professors, difficult administration/rules, and i've always come out clean.
    Gay-Communist-Bully-TAB

duluthbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Looks like we aren't out of the water just yet, the NWS is predicting a "Second Crest" for the FM area sometime in mid April. They think that the river could hit anywhere between 37 feet and 41 feet!

Hopefully Fargo doesn't decide to tear down these dikes anytime soon!

http://www.inforum.com/?event=apArticle&id=D978LKIO0
    North Dakota State Bison | 16 Time National Champions:
    1965, 1968, 1969, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1990, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019

Proud NDSU Alumnus | Class of 2011

HECKLER---

FYI... The wind will be picking up producing good size waves so please keep an eye out for your dikes.

ILL KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THEM.... *wink wink*