Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Missouri Valley Tournament

coldspot is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Missouri Valley Tournament

just throwing an idea that was tossed around between some fellow bison fans and myself. what if instead of playing in some no-name tournament at the beginning of the year (hi-vee or whatever it was), there is a summit/mvc, other mid major conference, etc tournament similar to what some of the high major conferences do. why not take the upper-tier SL teams and play against the upper level teams from the mvc, ovc or horizon? maybe make a deal with fox sports to show some of the games on the regional networks to gain some exposure.

(/flame suit on as a precaution.)

I love that idea coldspot!
    THE BASKETBALL TRADITION STARTS NOW

Quote Originally Posted by coldspot View Post
    just throwing an idea that was tossed around between some fellow bison fans and myself. what if instead of playing in some no-name tournament at the beginning of the year (hi-vee or whatever it was), there is a summit/mvc, other mid major conference, etc tournament similar to what some of the high major conferences do. why not take the upper-tier SL teams and play against the upper level teams from the mvc, ovc or horizon? maybe make a deal with fox sports to show some of the games on the regional networks to gain some exposure.

(/flame suit on as a precaution.)
    They are going to overtime in St. Louis.
    Northern Iowa and Illinois State tied at 48 after regulation.

Final score in the Missouri Valley Championship.
    Northern Iowa 60.
    Illinois State: 57.

With the auto bid going to the Panthers, I think the interesting story line that will come on Selection Sunday will be which school, if any, gets an at large bid out of this conference?
    Obviously, Creighton would have been the front runner had they gotten to the final, but having been blown out by Illinois State in the semi final, I believe that the Redbirds should be the only at large possibility in the MVC. And I think they should be in the field. They have a couple of pretty exciting players.

That was a fun game to watch but man did uni get lucky down the stretch. They got lucky on a few misses. Out of the two I would rather play a northern Iowa. Eldridge was a stud for ISU but took some bad shots at the end

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    That was a fun game to watch but man did uni get lucky down the stretch. They got lucky on a few misses. Out of the two I would rather play a northern Iowa. Eldridge was a stud for ISU but took some bad shots at the end
    Indeed.
    There was a point in the second half where Eldridge was on frickin' fire! But ironically, he tried so hard to make it a "me vs. 5" that it hurt ISU in the overtime.

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I don't think the Redbirds belong in as an at-large (RPI too low), and arguably Creighton forfeited their at large (as they were on the cusp) by losing big in the semis. That means one Valley school in the NCAAs, same as (I think) last year....

---

Re Summit RPI: I like coldspot's idea of head-to-heads against another conference, but that would likely require guarantee money from the Summit in order to play up a level (it shouldn't require guarantees to play OVC schools, but they don't offer much of a shot at improving RPI either).... Maybe they can use proceeds from the tournaments to fund improved Non-conf scheduling......

Congrats to UNI AND Coach Jacobson+++
    Proud sponsor of SAMBINIS ATHLETICS TFA and SAMBOS TRACK CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by sambini View Post
    Congrats to UNI AND Coach Jacobson+++

Like, totally, sambini, dude. They beat ILSU three times this season and people here, like, say they weren' that good, like?

LMAO!!!!!!!

Seems to be, like, a lot of purple envy regarding three or four UNI sports programs 'round here.......

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Doesn't the MVC start a MVC vs MWC Conference challenge type tournament next year?