Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 - First FCS Playoffs, Led by Nick Mertens

Default Re: 2009 - First FCS Playoffs, Led by Nick Mertens

I had to look at my calendar. I kept waiting to see the words "April Fools". Come on. I am sick of hearing how Mertens, the kid who couldn't pass out of a paper bag this year is going to be our savior. It isn't going to happen. If Mertz is our QB next year, I'd say we are looking at a 5-6 year, low attendance and a "maybe McFeely was right about the Bison" attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    I had to look at my calendar. I kept waiting to see the words "April Fools". Come on. I am sick of hearing how Mertens, the kid who couldn't pass out of a paper bag this year is going to be our savior. It isn't going to happen. If Mertz is our QB next year, I'd say we are looking at a 5-6 year, low attendance and a "maybe McFeely was right about the Bison" attitude.

If the coaches "tailor" the offense to suit his abilities then the offense can be productive but they need to put the next guy in if he doesn't produce.

No way we are 5-6 next year.

IMO...next years team will be hungry and is going to kick some butt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    I respect your opinion...and I agree to a certain extent about Mertens' passing ability. My point is this: Give him the offense that we saw in the 2nd & 3rd quarter of the SDSU game...with some option plays. Have 2 or 3 'quality' replacements in the wings. If he falters...give him the hook...rather quickly. Like one half of a game against a good team. If someone comes in and beats him out before the season...fine.

He passed 'much' better when he was in the mindset of being a running threat. D-backs and linebackers came up to stop him, and he'd toss it over them. He looked much more comfortable. He's obviously not a Tebow...but I think that Nick is more that type of QB. He wants to be a running threat. It's where his strength is. He likes to be 'the' threat, and then to throw dink passes over the guys that are coming up to tackle him. I think also that he sees the field much better from that type of scheme. That's all I'm saying.

Mertens is no savior. But if he could be more comfortable, we could do well with a 'good' QB. To win in the MVFC you need a dominant defense...and a QB that is good. To make a big playoff run...you need someone 'very' special.

But I would be 'very' happy to see an FBS transfer or two come in to challenge Nick & Jose. Competition & depth are in desperate need at QB.

Nick needed that this year. I believe that the pressure, being the only real option at QB, was off the chart. He needed to be sat down for a while...and to know that he didn't have to carry the weight of the preseason #1 team on his shoulders.

No offense...but fill me in about the McFeely theory. McFeely isn't right hardly ever. He belongs at town meetings, store openings, & writing the obits...or maybe high school athletic events.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by cvbison1 View Post
    i got it written down. i'm i agree with you Ca. NDSU doesn't rebuild....................................../ ndsu fcs playoffs 09
    except next year we need to rebuild because if reloaded using the same ammo we'd be shooting blanks

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    except next year we need to rebuild because if reloaded using the same ammo we'd be shooting blanks
    If Bohl can bring in a good JUCO wr and figure out the QB issue we will be fine, the team doesn't need to rebuild we just need to revamp a few positions.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by BisoninNWMN View Post
    If the coaches "tailor" the offense to suit his abilities then the offense can be productive but they need to put the next guy in if he doesn't produce.

No way we are 5-6 next year.

IMO...next years team will be hungry and is going to kick some butt!!!
    I take it by "tailoring" the offense to Mertens, you mean you are basing an entire offense on him throwing interceptions. He had his chance and wasted it. I say go with Mohler, rather then waste another year on Mertens. Why wait intil 2010 with Mohler? Use him now, it can't be any worse then the Mertz.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

With Mohler being only 5'10 we should be switching the offense up a bit anyways to get him out on the perimeter a bit more anyways. Ya know, alot of what we saw worked for Mertens against SDSU. So then we could techinically switch up the offense for both and it should work equally as well for both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Wow CA, the weed must be really good in Cali. Sorry, hate to disagree with about everything you said but I do. Be prepared for a similar or worse season next year given all the Seniors lost from this year's team and the QB issue.

Dude, like, man, CABison's been, like, holdin' out on me, man, with the green stuff??

Dude! All them snotty PMs you sent me about drugs and them pictures of your wife, and, like, you're the biggest toker here!??!?!?!?!!!!!!???

Like, here's my cell phone number, CABisonDude: 406.233.9119, if you wanna, like, give some o' that up, brotha!

"Man, CADude, like, I knew there was some kinda spark, like, between us!"

Hippy - I noticed that you made a reply. I won't be reading it. You're on my ignore list, and will remain there. Just thought I'd let you know that I won't be reading one word that you write again...ev-er. Final contact.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    Hippy - I noticed that you made a reply. I won't be reading it. You're on my ignore list, and will remain there. Just thought I'd let you know that I won't be reading one word that you write again...ev-er. Final contact.

Riiiiiiiiiiight!!!!

Wow, like, will someone, like, reply to my post so, like, my new smokin' buddy sees my despearte plea?