Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 - First FCS Playoffs, Led by Nick Mertens

Default 2009 - First FCS Playoffs, Led by Nick Mertens

Yes folks...you read it here first. (I think)

The offense will be tweaked to fit Nick's abilities, instead of trying to fit him into someone else's style. There will be some option football involved...Nick will be much more at home...and like the middle of the SDSU game...we will see a much more confident and productive quarterback. The running game will be by 'committee,' and our young receivers will emerge as being very athletic with a different game plan.

The defense will be strong...with an emerging dominance on the defensive line.

The Bison will be in 'surprise-mode' in the MVFC...a much better fit for this program right now. As the season progresses...the Bison will be consistent, and at times, dominant.

There is a chance...and a good one...that the FD will see its first playoff games. (yes...plural)

Even though I was on the pull-the-redshirt wagon for a while...I've changed my mind. At the same time, I'd like to see Jose Mohler in some real game situations to spell Nick. We need a starter, and a strong sub. I'm convinced that an MVFC champion needs to have two quarterbacks that can do the job.

Offensively, we can be multi-dimensional. The predictability can end...and the defensive line will be ready to take the pressure off of our linebackers and DB's. We'll have one of the top defenses in the FCS.

Ball Control + Dominant Defense + Surprise Element = Consistency & Playoffs

I'm not drinking kool-aid, I don't have rosy glasses, and I'm not on drugs. (never used 'em in my life...never will) To those of you who know me...I've never been a 'half-full' cup type of person. For me...the cup overflows. My tribute to the seniors & up-yours thread about the officiating was totally misunderstood by a few people here. My threads about the student seating were meant to promote more student involvement. So sue me. Future Bison teams need their classmates closer to the action...to support them. I really don't care what anyone thinks about this. Remember our old discussions about the band? People said...it'll never happen...doesn't matter...uniforms don't matter...etc, etc.

That's why I am the CaBisonFan. I ain't perfect, but I give a shoot. Oh yeah, I forgot to remember, I'm an outsider. I don't know jack. I tend to apply optimism 'liberally.'

Write this down folks. It's not about one player. But the leader was found in the 2nd & 3rd quarter during the last game of the season. The coaches forgot in the 4th quarter, and took Nick out of his element...again. I think that they will have learned.

If there are 11 games, we will be 9-2, or 10-1. That little trophy comes home...where it belongs. The bunnies think that they own us now. Wrong

PS - Reading is required. Write me a PM if you need me to send Cliff.
    Last edited by CaBisonFan; 11-30-2008 at 06:47 PM.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Default Re: 2009 - First FCS Playoffs, Led by Nick Mertens

Too soon my man. Too soon. This season is still too fresh yet, at least in my mind. And really, Mertens had a whole season to develop. His time is over.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    Too soon my man. Too soon. This season is still too fresh yet, at least in my mind. And really, Mertens had a whole season to develop. His time is over.
    You're right...he had a full season to develop, after 3 years of collecting dust on the shelf. It took most of the year to get it swept off.

Don't forget to remember this Trans.

Wow CA, the weed must be really good in Cali. Sorry, hate to disagree with about everything you said but I do. Be prepared for a similar or worse season next year given all the Seniors lost from this year's team and the QB issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Wow CA, the weed must be really good in Cali. Sorry, hate to disagree with about everything you said but I do. Be prepared for a similar or worse season next year given all the Seniors lost from this year's team and the QB issue.
    Oh...I think it's better in western North Dakota. But I wouldn't know. I've never tried it.

This year's seniors were great...weren't they? I almost forgot...college players only get four years of eligibility. The good news is that our competition has to follow the same rules.

Write it down SD.
    Last edited by CaBisonFan; 11-30-2008 at 06:44 PM.

i got it written down. i'm i agree with you Ca. NDSU doesn't rebuild....................................../ ndsu fcs playoffs 09
    don't

X-Factor is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    You're right...he had a full season to develop, after 3 years of collecting dust on the shelf. It took most of the year to get it swept off.

Don't forget to remember this Trans.
    Sounds like more of an excuse than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post

Don't you think young players can step in and replace lost seniors

Next yrs defense should be just as good or better than this yrs.

If the coaching staff "tailors" the west coast to Mertens roll-out and running abilities then this offense can be productive. If he fails then bring in the 2nd QB.

You're one of the "Mohler is the savior" guys on this board....if he is all that then he should have no problem beating Mertens out for the #1 next year. I, for one, look forward to seeing this kid play after all the hype......I still am concerned about his size.

Next yrs Bison defense should be damn good IMO.

DL - Johnson and Boyer will fill in just fine and DTs are back
    LBs - Beeson - Evans - Henry and a lot of young guys back
    DBs - Belmont will be back

Offensive line will have a year under their belt. PP, Voigt DJ and maybe Blincoe should make for a good running game.

Wr will be a concern....Heck is a huge loss, get some JUCOS

Quote Originally Posted by BisoninNWMN View Post
    [/b]
    Next yrs Bison defense should be damn good IMO.

DL - Johnson and Boyer will fill in just fine and DTs are back
    LBs - Beeson - Evans - Henry and a lot of young guys back
    DBs - Belmont will be back
    I agree...and thanks for the names. Gratzek (spelling?) had a bit of a coming out party this fall. Should be better next year. Those defensive ends, the ones that Phil Hansen projects as up-and-comers, should give us a legitimate pass rush. Matt Anderson fits in somewhere. There will be some depth at LB.

I'll add Cyrus Lemon as a real leader, head-hunter, outstanding range, gamer, cover guy in the backfield.

The cupboard is 'not' empty.

And I agree with comments about needing to recruit quarterbacks. Competition will be welcome. If someone comes in (a transfer) that completely outshines Nick, then so be it. If Nick falters early, and we have a legit. replacement, then pull the pin. Having real competition at QB would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    Time to sweep 2008 behind us. It was our real transitional year.