Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2009 - First FCS Playoffs, Led by Nick Mertens

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2009 - First FCS Playoffs, Led by Nick Mertens

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    But, most Steve Young runs were not "planned." (see the famous long run against the Vikings) The same can be said for McNab in Philli. There in lies the difference. I saw no sign from Merten's that he was a good scrambler this last year. I maintain my arugument that we would fundamentally be talking about a different style of football. You can't roll out every time in a West Coast offense....
    How much of this though was how the coaching staff dealt with Parsons? I'm sure Mertens saw how Parsons was pretty much shipped out of the QB position because he was a run first QB. Whether it was what the coaches told the QB's or just observing that, I'm not surprised at all that Mertens was a QB this last year who was a scramble to throw instead of a scramble to run.

I honestly don't know if Mertens is the QB to lead us next year or not. But I sure would like to see him play a few games with an offense suited to his strengths instead of running the same offense as what Walker ran.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonCardinal View Post
    Did Mertens do any audibles from the line?

So we have a fourth year qb, who can't throw or run or read the defense and he will lead us to the playoffs, well alrightee then!
    I never saw an audible the whole year and that concerned me also. My question about this is did the coaches trust him or any other QB on the team to allow the QB's to audible? I honestly think that's what made Walker the QB he was. He was given a play, read the defense, and could switch out to hopefully run a more successful play. It could have been that Mertens did not read the defense, but it could have also been another handcuff that the coaches placed on him.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    I never saw an audible the whole year and that concerned me also. My question about this is did the coaches trust him or any other QB on the team to allow the QB's to audible? I honestly think that's what made Walker the QB he was. He was given a play, read the defense, and could switch out to hopefully run a more successful play. It could have been that Mertens did not read the defense, but it could have also been another handcuff that the coaches placed on him.
    Probably because he is from East Potatoville.....

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    He's on my ignore list...but I saw this because you responded to him. (no problem) This is 'real' bisonville material. But you know...one of the moderators went fishing with him...and he's apparently a former captain of the UNI football team...so he's cool.

UNI didn't win the title when he was there. Big surprise.
    Like, he is cool, man. I met the dude! Makes you look like Don Rumsfeld, man!

And they went to the semifinals, like, his senior year! And he played a little pro ball, man! And, dude, like, you got third place in the Santa Barbara Fat-Over 50 division, like. Way to go, dude!!

Like, Go Herd!!!!