Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Day Thread: NDSU vs Ill St 130pm

Default Re: Game Day Thread: NDSU vs Ill St 130pm

Quote Originally Posted by scottheck View Post
    GoBison says game on at 1:15 but still nothing. Thoughts?
    Anyone getting it yet on GoBison?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Several possibilities.

On your end: your computer may be too slow/old, you may have too many programs running in the background, your computer may not be optimized for broadband, your internet connection may not be fast enough, your computer may not be hooked up to your modem in the fastest way possible.

On their end: there may be too many people trying to watch the feed at the same time, their computers may be too slow to encode the video in realtime, their internet connection may not be fast enough to the distribution servers.

In between: the internet backbone between you and your target may not be reliable, the distance may be too great for streaming video, one or more nodes in between may be experiencing hardware or software issues.

What can you do?

If you don't have broadband, don't bother. If you get your broadband through a satellite system like DirectTV, don't expect great things; the lag from earth to GSO to earth will kill you on live events. If you are located many miles from your ISP, you may have issues due to line length. If you are using a cheap computer you bought more than five years ago(or an expensive computer you bought more than eight), you may have speed issues.

If you think you're okay with the above, do these things:

Go to www.windowsupdate.com , select the custom option and install just about everything under all three categories. The only thing I don't install is Search 4.0 for XP.

Go to your computer's manufacturer's website and install any updates for your hardware(especially motherboard and network updates).

If you are using Firefox instead of IE, make sure to update it to the latest version(3.0.3).

Go to www.speedtest.net and find out your internet connection speed.

Go to www.speedguide.net and install the TCP/IP Optimizer(shortcuts section, halfway down the left side). Use the numbers from the speed test to position the slider.

Shut down any uneccissary programs, including almost everything in the system tray(lower right corner next to the clock). When I'm watching a live event, the only thing showing is the volume control. If you're feeling adventurous, press ctrl-alt-delete, select the processes tab, and shut down everything you can. Don't stop explorer.exe, svchost.exe, lsass.exe, services.exe, or winlogon.exe. There are a few others that you can't shut down, but Windows won't let you anyway. I can get my machine down to 14 active processes in my barebones mode.

Make sure the connection between your modem and computer is fast enough. If you have the option, connect the two using 10/100 Ethernet. If you must use USB to connect them, try to make sure both are USB 2.0.

Any other techies want to add or contradict? I'm off to get food before kickoff.
    Thank Hammer!!!! I have one computer at Gobison and one on Chanel surf. Will use which ever one is better for the moment. Then use the other one for here. Then when time allows I will try and tweak it by using your suggestions. PL
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Go Bison is up.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Go Bison is up.
    Is channelsurfing? I get audio but no video. Can a techie help me?

BRING BACK SNORTY

Got it. Redbird penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by onbison09 View Post
    Is channelsurfing?
    YUP it is!

Who the hell is the producer choosing camera angles? It's awful and they've missed all the action.

Bison safety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

BRING BACK SNORTY

2-0 Bison. Nice start!!!
    Gay-Communist-Bully-TAB

Safety!!!!!

Yeah!!!
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz