Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matt Voigtlander?

99Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Matt Voigtlander?

What I am saying is that it's hard to "get him in" when you run about 30 plays instead of say 60.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Bison View Post
    What I am saying is that it's hard to "get him in" when you run about 30 plays instead of say 60.
    Very good point. PL
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

[quote=BraxtonT;223120]Other than 'the coaches know what they are doing', can anybody offer up a different explanation as to why the guy has had exactly one touch of the ball in the last two games? By the way, that touch of the ball went for about 45 yards.

Most good running attacks have a 'running back by committee' philosophy. With WIU being my only game to see in person, one of the few really exciting parts of the game was the Voigtlander carry. Seems to have a nose for finding the hole, slashing to it, and going downhill. He's also not likely to be 'keyed' on.

It looks a lot like the scenario with Steve Walker that last few years. Play the starters until they drop...literally.

Over the past few years this has been my only real criticism of the coaching staff. There are other problems now...but some of them have to do with the seeming lack of desire to give younger players 'real' experience.

[quote=CaBisonFan;223224]
    Quote Originally Posted by BraxtonT View Post
    Other than 'the coaches know what they are doing', can anybody offer up a different explanation as to why the guy has had exactly one touch of the ball in the last two games? By the way, that touch of the ball went for about 45 yards.

Most good running attacks have a 'running back by committee' philosophy. With WIU being my only game to see in person, one of the few really exciting parts of the game was the Voigtlander carry. Seems to have a nose for finding the hole, slashing to it, and going downhill. He's also not likely to be 'keyed' on.

It looks a lot like the scenario with Steve Walker that last few years. Play the starters until they drop...literally.

Over the past few years this has been my only real criticism of the coaching staff. There are other problems now...but some of them have to do with the seeming lack of desire to give younger players 'real' experience.
    Thats why there are starters and back ups. Starters play. You just dont rotate people through as you dont get into playing shape and you dont get into a ryhtm. When they do rotate players it has more to do with the situation. This isnt just confined too NDSU .EVERY team more or less is that way.
    People are just grasping at straws to try and find a reason for the current won-lose record. PL
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

[quote=56BISON73;223228]
    Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post

Thats why there are starters and back ups. Starters play. You just dont rotate people through as you dont get into playing shape and you dont get into a ryhtm. When they do rotate players it has more to do with the situation. This isnt just confined too NDSU .EVERY team more or less is that way.
    People are just grasping at straws to try and find a reason for the current won-lose record. PL
    During the days of our great running attacks the backs rotated, with the starters getting 2/3 or 3/4 of the carries. They were given a break pretty often actually. There were 5 or 6 backs used during crucial parts of the game.

If one of them went down, there was little to no change in the production. There were the star backs, and those who supported them on the field. It tended to keep a lot of people alert. Our sideline is not alert.

Would this really be an issue if the Bison were 5 and 2? The guy is 3rd on the depth chart, anyone halfback who is 3rd on the depth chart clearly isn't going to see the ball a lot.

Lets give the coaches some credit here boys, they have seen all the running backs for 50 practices or so. I like to think they have a good idea who is getting it done in practice. That person will get the reps in the games.....very simple

Quote Originally Posted by Wacker_in_the_Hall View Post
    Lets give the coaches some credit here boys, they have seen all the running backs for 50 practices or so. I like to think they have a good idea who is getting it done in practice. That person will get the reps in the games.....very simple
    Walker was viewed as an average practice player.

But you're right...if the team wasn't playing like they're asleep...we wouldn't be talking about any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by BraxtonT View Post
    Other than 'the coaches know what they are doing', can anybody offer up a different explanation as to why the guy has had exactly one touch of the ball in the last two games? By the way, that touch of the ball went for about 45 yards.

He is still on special teams, so I know he is not hurt.

It is quite discouraging to see an offense stink it up as bad as we have the last couple of weeks and not try some players that have previously shown a lot of potential.

Put him in, let him play. If he sucks, I'll be the first to admit that he doesn't warrant any more playing time than the others. From what I've seen, though, I believe that is unlikely to happen.
    Solid player so far. Much better than DJ and gaining on Paschal. I think he's faster.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUFan_Sav View Post
    Refresh my memory please....

Against Youngstown Paschall and Roehl both were going to be sidelined and McNorton and Voigtlander were going to get the carries, yes he Voigtlander was 5carries for 40 yards, but if I recall we couldn't do much the 1st half and they brought roehl in and he ended up getting over 100 yards the 2nd half

Were we passing the ball more the 1st half? cuz Mcnorton had like 6 carries for 15 yards. What was wrong with the play calling.
    DJ got the 1st and 3rd down plays, while Matt got the 2nd down plays. DJ would get very little on 1st down, so it was generally a passing situation when Matt was in for 2nd down.