Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: chop block

Jay is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: chop block

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Road whats the official ruling on that??? I have to admit that I was unaware of the change and was confused yesterday. PL
    Ball goes on the 40 if kicked out of bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by gobisontd View Post
    Ball goes on the 40 if kicked out of bounds.
    Pretty simple. Thanks. PL
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

As an offensive linemen I am quite confused about these chop blocks that are being called also. Not on the definition, but most of the chop blocks are being called on running plays. How is that even possible on a dive play right up the middle?? I've seen it many times on pass plays but until this season I've never seen it called on running plays, well until this year that is.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    As an offensive linemen I am quite confused about these chop blocks that are being called also. Not on the definition, but most of the chop blocks are being called on running plays. How is that even possible on a dive play right up the middle?? I've seen it many times on pass plays but until this season I've never seen it called on running plays, well until this year that is.
    Im kind of confused also---but it seems that there is no---when you are double teaming a guy for one to be high and the other low.

But if you are one on one does it also mean that you cant use a cut block??? Is it ok in the box??? Out of the box??? Down field??? PL
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Im kind of confused also---but it seems that there is no---when you are double teaming a guy for one to be high and the other low.

But if you are one on one does it also mean that you cant use a cut block??? Is it ok in the box??? Out of the box??? Down field??? PL
    As far as I know cut blocks are still legal. My brother was at the Wyoming game and saw lots of cut blocks from the line. On the chop block yesterday the flag was thrown at hole, so I am completely confused then. I can see if it's away from the play, where the backside tackle is calling for a cut and that defensive player engages the guard at the same time he is cut. That one I can understand, but from what I saw yesterday the chop was called at the hole.

you can cut somebody, 1. if they aren't engaged with another player 2. if they are inside the "free blocking zone" ie inside the tackles
    NDSU Van Club

Lakesbison may be an idiot, but in the end he's our idiot.

Can we pretend that Jose Mohler passes are like shooting stars, cuz I would wish for a new O coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    As far as I know cut blocks are still legal. My brother was at the Wyoming game and saw lots of cut blocks from the line. On the chop block yesterday the flag was thrown at hole, so I am completely confused then. I can see if it's away from the play, where the backside tackle is calling for a cut and that defensive player engages the guard at the same time he is cut. That one I can understand, but from what I saw yesterday the chop was called at the hole.
    yeah, if one guy is engaging a player up high then one cannot cut him down low, one on one it is perfectly legal as long as the ballcarrier is not past you. That's a chop block... a cut block which is one on one is legal as long as the ball carrier is not past you, if he is it is illegal. But if a "cut" block is performed from behind then it's considered a "chop" block and is illegal.

I know it's confusing, but they should clarify this more. Basically, "chop" blocks are dirty and mean to injure a player. "Cut" blocks are clean and from in front of a player.

RunDMc you are absolutely right. If someone can figure out how these chop blocks are happening at the point of attack I would be very interested to know.

It should never happen. Our guys should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by A1pigskin View Post
    It should never happen. Our guys should know better.
    Sometimes things happen that are not intentional!
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant