Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: chop block

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default chop block

Question on the chop block rule.

Unless it has changed the chop block rule states you can not hit a person below the waste if he is engaged with another player. But I thought inside the tackles you could cut block someone.

If anyone knows for sure I would be interested. On that chop block call the tackle just cut the legs out of the D-tackle and he was not engaged by anyone. Is that a penalty???

Default Re: chop block

Does anyone know the rule?????? Thanks!!!!

Chop Block (Rule 2-3-3). The definition of the chop block has been simplified to assist in the understanding of this rule and to encourage more consistent officiating. A chop block is now defined as a high-low or low-high combination block by any two players against an opponent (other than the runner) anywhere on the field, with or without a delay between contacts. The “low” component is at the opponent’s thigh or below. A dangerous action that can lead to serious injury, the chop block is a personal foul that carries a 15-yard penalty.

Well I went and found my answer and we have to quit calling the player out on this because I have watched the play 10 times and in no way was this a chop block. All he did was cut him and he was not engaged or no other player was around.

The ref totally jobbed us on this call...it's not even questionable?? So let's back off the player as he did what he was coached to do on this play..

Bisonfan1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I do know Bohl would/could not comment on that penalty call, that sends a message to me loud and clear. Also the pass interferance call happened right in front of us, I failed to see pass interferance, I saw a very good defensive play. And no I am not saying the refs decided the game, the Bison did that on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    Question on the chop block rule.

Unless it has changed the chop block rule states you can not hit a person below the waste if he is engaged with another player. But I thought inside the tackles you could cut block someone.

If anyone knows for sure I would be interested. On that chop block call the tackle just cut the legs out of the D-tackle and he was not engaged by anyone. Is that a penalty???
    pretty sure you can't do this, even in the tacklebox

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
    pretty sure you can't do this, even in the tacklebox
    That would be correct.

But that was just one call, talk about referee confusion on the interference with an opportunity to make a fair catch. The ref said "the recieving team blocked the player into the player making the catch" What really happened, the kicking team pushed a member of the receiving team into the receiver...thus 15 yard penalty.

Idiot reference #2
    Where to place the ball after a kickoff out of bounds.

Idiot reference #3
    Not being in charge when you wear the white hat on the field.

the group of officials yesterday were definitely the most unorganized group I have ever witnessed and that included high school games

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    the group of officials yesterday were definitely the most unorganized group I have ever witnessed and that included high school games
    I agree! I would bet that 80% of the spectators knew the rule had changed on where to place the ball when a kickoff went out of bounds!

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    I agree! I would bet that 80% of the spectators knew the rule had changed on where to place the ball when a kickoff went out of bounds!

except for the moron behind me!!
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Road whats the official ruling on that??? I have to admit that I was unaware of the change and was confused yesterday. PL
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."