Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Field goals?

Default Re: Field goals?

Dammit! I wish Vartanian could pose as Bibeau for a couple of games this year! We will need FGs against UNI, WIU and SDSU for sure!!! Dig deep, Shawn!

Maybe he's still working on a technique tweak. Hallstrom commented on the postgame that the ball was coming off his foot different for FG's than XP's.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    Maybe he's still working on a technique tweak. Hallstrom commented on the postgame that the ball was coming off his foot different for FG's than XP's.

.....cus kickers kick fgs and x-points differently......x-points are kicked higher

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Is Bibeau a little too worried about getting those FG's blocked that he has changed his approach to get more air under the ball, but along with that the accuracy has gone downhill?? He's not driving through the ball like he used to and I'm guessing that coaches have stressed to get it up faster. Plus from what I saw yesterday SIU did a good job of getting alot of height at the line of scrimmage so if he kicked the way he used to I bet a couple of those get blocked yesterday.

Is he kicking from only 5 yds behind the line or the usual 7? I could have sworn that they are placing the ball only 5 yds back. I am also sure that there will be more blocked kicks coming as most of his kicks looked very close to the outstretched hands.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Why the heck would we be doing that?? I honestly don't know so I'll be watching this against WIU. Bibeau has had problems with blocked FGs all the way back to the first Gophs game, just because he drives through the ball and has never gotten much height on them. I personally thought there was more height then normal but it could have just been from where we were sitting up in row KK.

How many of you people have stood on the field 40+ yards from the goalposts and thought about kicking a fieldgoal? It's daunting! 45 yard FG's are NOT chipshots for any kicker at any level of play. IMO, it takes an exceptional kicker to hit 40+ yarders 75% of the time.

I tend to agree that coaches should go for first downs and touchdowns more often than long field goals. After all, it probably takes at least 4 field goal attempts to beat one touchdown.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Skill View Post
    I hate that quote.

The ability of the defense to stop SIU after they started every possession from the 40, was key to NDSU's win.
    I agree. If they are content with the other team starting on the 40 yard line by pooching the kick-offs why not just kick it out of bounds? There there is absolutely no way they are going to break a long return.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering Herd View Post
    Dammit! I wish Vartanian could pose as Bibeau for a couple of games this year! We will need FGs against UNI, WIU and SDSU for sure!!! Dig deep, Shawn!
    Vartanian yeah he was an amazing kicker 8-18 as a senior
    NDSU Van Club

Lakesbison may be an idiot, but in the end he's our idiot.

Can we pretend that Jose Mohler passes are like shooting stars, cuz I would wish for a new O coordinator.