Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GSB = Dumb

Default GSB = Dumb

Many of us have rehashed the problems with our football squad, but I feel it is necessary to discuss how dumb our band was yesterday. I have three instances:

1. The Bison are on offense going north from our own 20-yard line. The band decides it would be a good idea to start playing in the south concourse, which echos back to the field. Dumb.

2. Between the third and fourth quarter, the big screens are showing the "Be Herd" clip of the week. Of course, instead of allowing me to hear the music in the clip, the band plays on. Dumb.

3. The chanting towards the officials on a penalty or call that goes against the Bison. Not really dumb, but annoying.

I notice these things because I sit in section nine, so many of you will not notice or agree with me. However, they need to figure out that people are there to watch the game, not them. I sometimes wish that the halftime entertainment would be a dog and frisbee, as the song selection is still boring and repetitive.

Rant over - Flame away.
    Last edited by aces1180; 10-12-2008 at 06:23 PM.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

Default Re: GSB = Dumb

i hated it when the band played while the announcer was giving score updates... sorry, but i am an all-around college football fan... I want to know how Texas-Oklahoma game went and other MVFC teams are doing...

I'm confused. Usually my BS meter works when it comes the GSMB, but it must be on the fritz right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aces1180 View Post
    1. The Bison are on offense going north from our own 20-yard line. The band decides it would be a good idea to start playing in the south concourse, which echos back to the field.
    The band sits in the south endzone. Are we expected to switch sides every quarter? Members of certain sections of the band go out at various times to play. They're trying to have fun and entertain the crowd - be they in the stands or in the concourse. The band as a whole has no control over where/when these members play, short of banning this completely.

2. Between the third and fourth quarter, the big screens are showing the "Be Herd" clip of the week. Of course, instead of allowing me to hear the music in the clip, the band plays on.
    Excuse us for doing what we've done for the past several, several years. We try to change things that we do for everything new that happens, but sometimes we miss.

3. The chanting towards the officials on a penalty or call that goes against the Bison.
    You're right. Only the non-band students/fans should be allowed to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
    i hated it when the band played while the announcer was giving score updates... sorry, but i am an all-around college football fan... I want to know how Texas-Oklahoma game went and other MVFC teams are doing...
    I apologize for the band not knowing when the announcer is going to talk or what he's going to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by TbonZach View Post
    I'm confused. Usually my BS meter works when it comes the GSMB, but it must be on the fritz right now.

The band sits in the south endzone. Are we expected to switch sides every quarter? Members of certain sections of the band go out at various times to play. They're trying to have fun and entertain the crowd - be they in the stands or in the concourse. The band as a whole has no control over where/when these members play, short of banning this completely.

Excuse us for doing what we've done for the past several, several years. We try to change things that we do for everything new that happens, but sometimes we miss.

You're right. Only the non-band students/fans should be allowed to do that.
    Ok...I can understand your point for #3...However, the crowd should be entertained by the team (when they play well) and the band should NEVER make noise when the Bison are stepping to the line of scrimmage! Be more aware of the surroundings and the game, not yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
    The problem arises to the fact that they use the PA for that purpose instead of all the electronic boards that they have in the end zones. I emailed them on the problem of virtually no game scores being shown and they said they would do a better job. Well the last game I was at it wasnt any better and the scores they did post were a who cares.
    My guess is the reason they dont use the electronics is it is being used for advertisements---think $$$$$$. Its pretty sad when you are at a D1 football game and you dont get many other scores. First place Ive ever been where this is a problem. PL
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by TbonZach View Post
    I apologize for the band not knowing when the announcer is going to talk or what he's going to talk about.
    it was while he was talking.. how else would I know the announcer was giving score updates

Boo hoo hoo. Bison play like crap and this board starts ripping on anything related or unrelated to the game that they didn't like. Typical. Why didn't you go move to one of the couple thousand blue seats that were open? It's quieter up there. You knew the band was going to be there. This wasn't some amazing surprise when you sat down.
    On you Bison! Fight you Bison! Stampede and win this game!

I appreciate the entertainment that the band does bring to the scene-- I mean, I definitely notice that the trombone doesn't make the ascending arrpegio-like sound anymore after a kickoff! (Can you tell I am a musician?) However, I do think that when our team is on the offense, the band should not be playing.

Have you ever noticed that as the play clock ticks, the crowd gets quieter-- nearing a complete hush before the play? I believe this happens for two reasons: The anticipation of the crowd-- but more importantly, out of respect for the players on the field.

When the band is playing on the concourse, they have no idea what is going on on the field and therefore, are not able to show the same respect to the team. And, though I've only been to this year's and last year's games, Saturday was the first time that I ever heard them playing on the concourse at all. Is this a new idea?

Finally, sure, when the Bison lose or play badly, people complain. But as someone who isn't a quite a fanatic, I can say that the GSB was a distraction to my experience of the game on Saturday... and people have a right to complain about the band, too.
    ~~~You never make a lasting footprint when you are walking on your tip-toes.~~~

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeal View Post
    Boo hoo hoo. Bison play like crap and this board starts ripping on anything related or unrelated to the game that they didn't like. Typical. Why didn't you go move to one of the couple thousand blue seats that were open? It's quieter up there. You knew the band was going to be there. This wasn't some amazing surprise when you sat down.
    Well, I have been in section 9 as a season ticket holder longer than the band has been in the end zone, so I won't move. But I also respect the band's right to be there. Is it annoying sometimes? Yes. Can I do anything about it besides share my opinion on this board? No.

How about the band learns to RESPECT the FOOTBALL TEAM and the game, which everyone paid money to see...It's not about the GSB, its about Bison football. So go ahead and play your Sweet Caroline for the 10th time or walk around the concourse...Just don't do it when it interferes with the game.