Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Football vs. hunting

Default Re: Football vs. hunting

And....time...

We made it a whole 7 posts before this:

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    I find that to be really lame. You can hunt anytime but the game is only played once. Take some vacation time and hunt during the week!
    Not to bad really.

Whether you think hunting is lame or not it's a reality that football attendance is harmed by the dear opener. Period. End of story. Personally, hunting isn't my thing, but I don't begrudge anyone their hobbies. The Bison are off the weekend of the opener this year and on the road the next weekend. Whether they did that on purpose or it was just good scheduling karma it's a plus for the fans, the team, the athletic department and the University. Hunters, good luck. Use up those tags. NDSU fans, look forward to the smell of grilled venison sausages at the SDSU tailgate.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    NO you cant hunt just anytime. For certain seasons there are small windows of opportunity. For many the opening weekend is the only chance they get as vaction time is alloted to family etc. Plus Deer firearm in MN only lasts from Nov 8th and ends on the 16th. So ANYtime doesnt work for most. The FB season lasts from the end of Aug to the end of Nov.

I find it lame that you get upset that people have other interests in there life. PL

ps its just a game
    So is hunting PL........

It all comes down to priorities. The way I look at it people that love to hunt and go to Bison home games have 2 options:
    1. Go to all the home games and work the hunting in when they can.
    2. Skip one or two games to maximize hunting opportunities.

Between pheasant, duck, goose and deer seasons I usually hunt about 10 days a year yet I rarely take a vacation day. Between all those seasons I have about 100 days in which to choose when to hunt (yes, only 15 of those days are for deer). Compared to Bison football, there are only 11 games in a season and only 6 days in which there is a home game. In summary there is no reason that a Bison fan and hunter can't do both. Sure it takes a bit more planning, but if missing 17 to 33 percent of the home games is acceptable, then hunting must really be #1 to that Bison fan.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    And....time...

We made it a whole 7 posts before this:

Not to bad really.

Whether you think hunting is lame or not it's a reality that football attendance is harmed by the dear opener. Period. End of story. Personally, hunting isn't my thing, but I don't begrudge anyone their hobbies. The Bison are off the weekend of the opener this year and on the road the next weekend. Whether they did that on purpose or it was just good scheduling karma it's a plus for the fans, the team, the athletic department and the University. Hunters, good luck. Use up those tags. NDSU fans, look forward to the smell of grilled venison sausages at the SDSU tailgate.
    It is not just hunting that hurts attendance. Others in the FM and surrrounding area have to start looking at their priorities and decide if Bison football means enough to them. I mean, how many borderline fans are there out there that instead of planning just promise their Saturday to take on additional hours at work, do things with family, pick up stuff for a project, go shopping, drive to the lake, etc, rather than working around the 6 Bison home games each year? The thing is now that tickets for Bison football are in short supply some may be forced to rethink their priorities, or at least plan better. Won't be long and the only game with tickets available the week of the game will be during deer season, or against a no name / much lesser opponent. With growth in the fan base even those games may soon be a sellout too!

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    So is hunting PL........

It all comes down to priorities. The way I look at it people that love to hunt and go to Bison home games have 2 options:
    1. Go to all the home games and work the hunting in when they can.
    2. Skip one or two games to maximize hunting opportunities.

Between pheasant, duck, goose and deer seasons I usually hunt about 10 days a year yet I rarely take a vacation day. Between all those seasons I have about 100 days in which to choose when to hunt (yes, only 15 of those days are for deer). Compared to Bison football, there are only 11 games in a season and only 6 days in which there is a home game. In summary there is no reason that a Bison fan and hunter can't do both. Sure it takes a bit more planning, but if missing 17 to 33 percent of the home games is acceptable, then hunting must really be #1 to that Bison fan.
    You are correct that hunting is a game also.

I dont look at it as "" what is number 1 priority"" I enjoy both and dont try to quantify-or rationalize it to justify a certain label of which is more important. I travel great distances for both activities. So I find it amusing that some would deem others less a fan because of an interest in another activity. Especially if they dont understand the other activity.

PL
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    It is not just hunting that hurts attendance. Others in the FM and surrrounding area have to start looking at their priorities and decide if Bison football means enough to them. I mean, how many borderline fans are there out there that instead of planning just promise their Saturday to take on additional hours at work, do things with family, pick up stuff for a project, go shopping, drive to the lake, etc, rather than working around the 6 Bison home games each year? The thing is now that tickets for Bison football are in short supply some may be forced to rethink their priorities, or at least plan better. Won't be long and the only game with tickets available the week of the game will be during deer season, or against a no name / much lesser opponent. With growth in the fan base even those games may soon be a sellout too!

Lets not confuse tickets sales with attendance. Many people in the US buy season tickets but miss games.
    If the Bison games get to the point where they actually do sell out every game and do it over a period of time people will still be able to get tickets on the secondary market which really hasnt happened yet. When I see people walking around with signs that they need tickets and others waving tickets that they have to sell then that shows there is actually a market of Bison tickets.
    Granted ticket sales are up but not where they need to be. PL
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

stevdock is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

56Bison I agree with most of what you have to say. People make choices based on lots of decisions. I'm not a hunter, but can understand why people miss the game to do it. The only thing that would be nice is if those season-ticket holders could get someone in their seats if at all possible. Last year I believe the first home game after the Gophers game was Deer Opener and I believe it was against SUU too. I personally felt like it would have been really nice to show our student athletes how much we appreciated what they just accomplished by having a full house to welcome them back to. Last year was one example, but I know this has happened in the past too.

I'm just glad that these two major sports in this area don't coincide this year.

It's that stupid Trees bowl that should be a night game, that's usually the offender.

heckler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

NO you cant hunt just anytime. For certain seasons there are small windows of opportunity. For many the opening weekend is the only chance they get as vaction time is alloted to family etc. Plus Deer firearm in MN only lasts from Nov 8th and ends on the 16th. So ANYtime doesnt work for most. The FB season lasts from the end of Aug to the end of Nov.

I find it lame that you get upset that people have other interests in there life. PL

ps its just a game
    I am an avid hunter and I can't wait for bear hunting to start soon in Minnesota. I sometimes miss games because family from around the country come back to Minnesota to do some hunting. It's an awesome time with family that I would never miss out on. Family comes first (to me at least) and if missing a Bison game because of family makes me less of a fan (or lame) then so be it. I will wear the lame badge with honor. I would much rather go hunting with my family and watch the Bison game on a projector with them then miss out on my family who I might not see for the rest of the year.

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

ps its just a game
    True. Football is just a sport, as is deer hunting. It's all about priorities.

Jdubs21 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

this year we are playoff elligible, everygame is even more important now, there will not be the porr turnouts this year during hunting season