Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There comes a point --

Default There comes a point --

-- when the discussion about a potential recruit crosses the line of curiosity or interest -- and --

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________

-- being over-involved.

Collectively, we became over-involved. When there are nearly direct communications going with the potential recruit we have definitely crossed it. When a few comments about the wisdom of a recruit's choice are made, I have no problem -- but it wouldn't stop -- and the discussion kept rearing its head. The original thread was innocent enough, and it wasn't inappropriate, but as the discussion gained momentum and a life of its own, it became a problem.

Can't discuss potential recruits here? Wrong -- that is 'not' what I'm writing about.

There does come a point where boosters can actually hurt the process that coaches & administrators go through in dealing with young athletes. We came awfully close.

What I did last night was to file my protest concerning a conversation that I was involved in early on -- in fact -- I initiated a post a while back. So I was involved.

This isn't about censorship. It's about what our role should -- and should not be. We should not be involved in anything that relates to communications with a potential recruit, nor should we be indirectly communicating our disgust with said recruit, nor should we be smacking other schools that the recruit is looking at, nor should we be passing judgment on the recruit's choice.

The thread should have been closed when the above issues began to develop -- in fact, I believe that it should be entirely removed from the board. The discussion about the recruit could have become a 'real' pain for the university. If someone wanted to get dirty about this, it still could.

If I come off as being self-righteous -- or a fool -- 'whatever.' I could care less.

We crossed the line.

'Tis not the way of the Bison.
    Last edited by CaBisonFan; 05-15-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Default Re: There comes a point --

bla bla bla

met1990 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

What was your favorite "Potter to Bemidji State?" thread moment?

DORMIE is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A couple of years ago I printed a brochure for the Athletic Department called "A Guide To NCAA Regulations". I'll keep one in my car and give it to you Lakes the next time I see you. From reading your posts and comments from friends of mine, it appears that you have on occasion crossed the line.

but does lakes actually give to NDSU?
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    but does lakes actually give to NDSU?
    Yes, he is a Teammaker.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post
    bla bla bla
    You don't get it lakes. We are here to discuss the Bison program and to enjoy doing it. We should not be here to recruit players, or to try to involve ourselves in the work that the coaches do. The primary function of the Teammakers is to raise money and to cheer for the team. That's it. No more. To me, this website is an extension of the Teammakers. We are here to support the Bison, and to build unity within the fan base.

If you think that the NCAA doesn't scan these types of websites, think again.

But more realistically, if you were a USD booster and saw the Potter thread, what would your response be? And if you became angry enough, a quick email to the NCAA would be easy. We came awfully close to tampering lakes -- with the life of a young person -- and with the recruiting process, which the NCAA takes 'very' seriously.

You contribute some really good stuff here, but I'm 'asking' you to think about what I wrote. Your inside information is fine, but we went far beyond information.

Do you want to hurt the Bison lakes?

Quote Originally Posted by met1990 View Post
    What was your favorite "Potter to Bemidji State?" thread moment?
    When it was shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    You contribute some really good stuff here,
    CaBisonFan...you really had me going...great punchline...didn't see it coming!

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post
    bla bla bla

You are not a representative of the North Dakota State athletic department. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not amused.