Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Urban Plains Center

Default Re: Urban Plains Center

Quote Originally Posted by BigBison View Post
    AHL farm team would be sweet.
    I'd rather watch a high quality USHL team then an AHL team. At least with the USHL team you would get a "team" to follow. For the most part the team would stay the same throughout the year and these young men/kids could build a relationship with the communtiy. The AHL typically turns over the majority of their roster throughout the year and there best players are only around for part of the season, before getting sent up to the NHL.

While the USHL is a "developmental" league the goal is to win a championship. In the AHL the goal is to strickly develop players and get them to the NHL. In a lot of cases you'll see a player who is actually better than another one, but will not get the playing time because the NHL team doesn't have the $$$ invested in him.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by roper1313 View Post
    I'd rather watch a high quality USHL team then an AHL team. At least with the USHL team you would get a "team" to follow. For the most part the team would stay the same throughout the year and these young men/kids could build a relationship with the communtiy. The AHL typically turns over the majority of their roster throughout the year and there best players are only around for part of the season, before getting sent up to the NHL.

While the USHL is a "developmental" league the goal is to win a championship. In the AHL the goal is to strickly develop players and get them to the NHL. In a lot of cases you'll see a player who is actually better than another one, but will not get the playing time because the NHL team doesn't have the $$$ invested in him.

Just my opinion.
    I agree roper and will fully enjoy watching the force

Looks like the UPC got the International Ice Hockey Federation Under-18 Championship for 2009.

Fargo lands hockey championship to Urban Plains Center

Double good news: looks like the last of the financing is locked up. Hope this is the last of the bad press.

Metro Sports Foundation, consortium of banks agree to terms of financing package

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Double good news: looks like the last of the financing is locked up. Hope this is the last of the bad press.

Metro Sports Foundation, consortium of banks agree to terms of financing package
    Oh, the bad press will continue in the future if they are not able to fulfill the promise of 5 sheets of ice. The 5 sheets of ice being needed was way more important that 1 sheet with 5,000 seats.

It could happen, but I would not hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by d3boys View Post
    I agree roper and will fully enjoy watching the force
    Glad to hear some encouraging news about the UPC. You will really enjoy watching the USHL games. I split season tickets to watch the Sioux Falls Stampede and the league is pretty stable and competitive. Get a couple local boys on the roster and there should be decent support in the FM area. Even though Sioux Falls is not a hockey town, and the Arena sucks as a hockey venue, the Stampede manage to get about 2500 to 3000 fans for each game. During the playoffs and rivalry games with Sioux City they get close to 5000 in attendance. Believe me, Sioux Falls ia not a hockey town. The youth facilities are worse than what FM had 35 years ago. One 1970's steel shed and the part time winter use of the rodeo facility at the fairgrounds. Sioux Falls is in the dark ages. BTW, keep on supporting the UPC, and the Fargo FOrce. I know there are many at Bisonville that hate hockey, but just ignore them if they have no appreciation for the game. I still play in an adult hockey league with guys half my age and I love it.

Can't we get just one week without something threating the UP Center?

NDHSAA questions UP Center lease

Now, this will probably just result in some minor changes in the language of the lease, but still. (Lease allows alcohol to be served during HS events in areas seperate from those used for the event. NDHSAA wants no alcohol anywhere in the facility while HS events are going on.)

Now, this will probably just result in some minor changes in the language of the lease, but still. (Lease allows alcohol to be served during HS events in areas seperate from those used for the event. NDHSAA wants no alcohol anywhere in the facility while HS events are going on.)
    The NDHSAA is an inept organization. Has been since I was in high school (70's). An example: I think they only allow like 20 some HS hockey games for HS kids, but you can have 6th graders playing over 100 during the year. Maybe the rules have changed but it use to be that way.

Keep in mind that there are people that do not want the Fargodome used for high school events because there are "BEER SIGNS" that are visible, and can't be covered.