Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Urban Plains Center

Default Urban Plains Center

My understanding is that if the entire Urban Plains Center gets built that the hockey arena will seat something like 5000. I wonder if that will open up an avenue for NDSU to take another serious look at DI Hockey? I am no fan of NCAA hockey, but a lot of folks in F-M are, and it does make me wonder if there will start to be pressure to move in that direction. I could see it happening. If NDSU starts moving that direction, and I am not sure I am totally opposed to it, we have to make sure that our Basketball program is solid and stays that way. Basketball will always be a much more important sport than hockey.......

Default Re: Urban Plains Center

I dont' see Chapman and Gene wanting to go down that road. If they are going to take on a big financial burden it will be to move the football program to 1A status.

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN View Post
    My understanding is that if the entire Urban Plains Center gets built that the hockey arena will seat something like 5000. I wonder if that will open up an avenue for NDSU to take another serious look at DI Hockey? I am no fan of NCAA hockey, but a lot of folks in F-M are, and it does make me wonder if there will start to be pressure to move in that direction. I could see it happening. If NDSU starts moving that direction, and I am not sure I am totally opposed to it, we have to make sure that our Basketball program is solid and stays that way. Basketball will always be a much more important sport than hockey.......
    I do not think any thoughts about hockey at NDSU can be considered in the next 10 years at least.

WYO, i'm wondering what you had for breakfast this morning! I don't think there is anyone at NDSU even remotely thinking about looking at a hockey program now or anytime in the near future.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN View Post
    NEVER! In fact, when they approached NDSU about it before they locked up the USHL team, NDSU said no, but we'll consider it for basketball. Well we all know how that unfolded (Dome addition plan). So, Gene and Joe have no visions of hockey. As it stands now, the farce from the north has put all their eggs in the hockey basket and dare I say they dominate hockey. Great! No one Nationally cares about hockey and we dominate them now in both basketball and football, which is what EVERYONE cares about Nationally. People say, "NDSU huh?, Don't you guys have a U there?", to which I say, "Yeah, but all they do is play hockey. Thats why you haven't heard of them."

The question shouldn't be if NDSU hockey can play at the UP Center, the question should be if an AHL franchise could be viable there. Either as a farm team for the Wild, or a farm team for a new Winnipeg NHL franchise. If the USHL ends up being very successful, and if the NHL situation allows it, Fargo-Moorhead should take a look at the AHL.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    WYO, i'm wondering what you had for breakfast this morning! I don't think there is anyone at NDSU even remotely thinking about looking at a hockey program now or anytime in the near future.
    I just think that there will be pressure on them to look that direction once that arena is there. I would rather see resources in other programs than hockey, like getting a BB program for the men and women that has potential to make it to the Dance year in and out. But, there are a lot of hockey fans in the area that may push for it at NDSU......

As for breakfast.....I am heading to Guatemala on Saturday and plan on having rum and mango juice for breakfast every damn day! I will try to get to a PC after I am juiced and give you guys some real wild thoughts!!

I've never been a "hockey hater". I actually enjoy watching the college game from time to time. I've never supported the idea of college hockey at NDSU for various reasons.

I have to say that the hockey people in the FM area have taken a hit with the UP fiasco. They have lost a great deal of credibility in my eyes. Any ideas NDSU might have for a hockey program will not be met with ambivalence from me, it will be met with opposition. Disclaimer, I understand that my personal opinion probably won't be a huge roadblock to the decision makers. I understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I have to say that the hockey people in the FM area have taken a hit with the UP fiasco.

The UPC has been very interesting to watch from afar. To me the whole deal seems fishy, and it also seems that in the end the developers will wind up with bucks from the public coffers.......

BigBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    The question shouldn't be if NDSU hockey can play at the UP Center, the question should be if an AHL franchise could be viable there. Either as a farm team for the Wild, or a farm team for a new Winnipeg NHL franchise. If the USHL ends up being very successful, and if the NHL situation allows it, Fargo-Moorhead should take a look at the AHL.
    AHL farm team would be sweet.