Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: President's residence

Default President's residence

Just wondering about the progress of the much needed new residence. All I know is what was in the FF a few weeks ago about Chapman taking up residence in South Fargo while the project proceeds. I am all in favor of this, not just because I think Chapman rocks, but the University needed it big time. Hopefully it will be NICER than anyone expects. I'm sure it will be, but with the architectural school located at NDSU, the pressure is on!!

Default Re: President's residence

I think they are in the process of hiring an architect for the project.

533 In a row

DORMIE is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Talked recently with a member of the building committee. They just went through a walk through. Said it was apauling. Couldn't figure how anyone could live in the place. Are looking between 2 archiatect firms. Would have liked to put up more of a facility that would be able to entertain more, but might have to scale that back because UND put the $900,000 limit on building a house. Up there they will have a new alumni center next door and might not need that as much. Our Alumni Center is across the street and is a little more inconvient.

Quote Originally Posted by DORMIE View Post
    Talked recently with a member of the building committee. They just went through a walk through. Said it was apauling. Couldn't figure how anyone could live in the place. Are looking between 2 archiatect firms. Would have liked to put up more of a facility that would be able to entertain more, but might have to scale that back because UND put the $900,000 limit on building a house. Up there they will have a new alumni center next door and might not need that as much. Our Alumni Center is across the street and is a little more inconvient.
    An interview this week actually said they may still be looking at keeping the old house along with building new as a way to reduce come of the cost.

I wish there was some way of buying out the three Greek houses on the same block as the Alumni Center and building the new house there. I hate the idea of continuing to block off the SE corner of campus from further academic building development. I realize the costs of buying out the Greeks would be far too high, but I still wish it could be done.

if alumni/friends want to build a $10 million house they should be able to.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I wish there was some way of buying out the three Greek houses on the same block as the Alumni Center and building the new house there. I hate the idea of continuing to block off the SE corner of campus from further academic building development. I realize the costs of buying out the Greeks would be far too high, but I still wish it could be done.
    Ummmm, not going to happen, I can say with certainty at least two of them are not for sale. Next idea please.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Ummmm, not going to happen, I can say with certainty at least two of them are not for sale. Next idea please.
    There's also no non-Greek properties on Fraternity Row that would be willing to sell either, if Theta Chi and Alpha Tau wanted to rebuild. Anyway, I've always thought that Theta Chi and Alpha Tau were the two nicest looking Greek houses on campus, with the red brick and ivy growing on the sides. Sigma Nu looks real nice as well, but that's on the other side of the block.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Of those 4 greek properties on the block of the alumni center, I think 2 could be bought rather easy. You got Kappa Delta to the north and on the east side of the block you got Sigma Chi, defunct Phi Mu house (I can't remember who is there now but they just moved in there a couple of years ago) and Kappa Alpha Theta. I don't see either of the sororities selling but Sigma Chi butts right up against the alumni center and NDSU has been wanting to buy that ever since that building went up and could have it if they ever sweetened the deal. I know b/c I am an old Sigma Chi. And I'm sure the guys next door would sell for the right price. It's not like they have alot of history in that building. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to put the presidents house there. You got a parking lot right there. You could do some cool intergration of the back of the Alumni Center with the backyard of the presidents house.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Of those 4 greek properties on the block of the alumni center, I think 2 could be bought rather easy. You got Kappa Delta to the north and on the east side of the block you got Sigma Chi, defunct Phi Mu house (I can't remember who is there now but they just moved in there a couple of years ago) and Kappa Alpha Theta.

Apologies for going off topic. What greek houses are still active on the campus? I am asking because you referenced the Phi Mu house being defunct, and I remember the Alpha Gamma Delta and the Kappa Kappa Gammas being on that block also. I could not find a reference on the NDSU site.
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin