Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cities who have it all (quality sports venues)

Default Cities who have it all (quality sports venues)

Assuming the hockey arena gets done and also assuming we build a new basketball arena onto the dome, I'm thinking Fargo will have some quality sports venues, espcially when you consider it's size. What other towns out there have some nice facilities all around? And it doesn't have to be limited to towns of Fargo's size. I think Denver has to be one of the best when it comes to large markets. Pepsi Center (basketball/hockey), Coors Field (baseball) and Invesco Field @ mile high. 3 of the nicest stadiums for their respective sports all w/in short distance of each other. If the twin cities would build a new football stadium they would rank near the top in a couple of years. Target Center (aging but I've always loved it's location) Xcel Energy, New Gopher stadium, New twins stadium

Default Re: Cities who have it all (quality sports venues)

How about Columbus, OH.
    The Big Horseshoe, The Shottstein Center (sp?) for OSU hoops and hockey, and Countrywide Arena for the Bluejackets. No baseball, but those three are very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by roper1313 View Post
    How about Columbus, OH.
    The Big Horseshoe, The Shottstein Center (sp?) for OSU hoops and hockey, and Countrywide Arena for the Bluejackets. No baseball, but those three are very nice.
    They have the Clippers there, a AAA baseball club, which used to be the affiliate for the Yankees...I have heard good things about their ballpark.

Pittsburgh is probably one that may go under the radar but Heintz Field and PNC Park are among the best venues in Football and Baseball respectively, they've got a new Hockey arena coming for the Penguins (37 sellouts in a row at the Igloo), and the University has an awesome basketball facility as well.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Pittsburgs a good one. Chicago, except everything is so spread out. Soldier Field is impressive, even if it looks like a spaceship crashed into it. United Center is fairly new and they have the best of both worlds for baseball. A classic cozy park in Wrigley and a new modern facility in Cellular Field.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    Pittsburgs a good one. Chicago, except everything is so spread out. Soldier Field is impressive, even if it looks like a spaceship crashed into it. United Center is fairly new and they have the best of both worlds for baseball. A classic cozy park in Wrigley and a new modern facility in Cellular Field.
    I was at US Cellular 15 years ago (still New Comisky then) and it was,... ehh. But a hear that they've poored a ton of money into it since so it's probably worth another visit.

I love the new Soldier Field. It took some serious guts to go with that design. It's very non-traditional and as a result not everyone likes it but cheers to them for going out on a limb.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Seattle has some nice facilities for its pro teams, as well as for the U of Washington. Safeco Field is the nicest baseball stadium I have ever seen. The football stadium is even newer, and I believe the Sonics play is a newly remodeled arena.

533 In a row

I would even put Minneapolis on the list two years from now with the new 42,000-seat Twins Ballpark in the Warehouse District, new 52,000-seat TCF Bank Stadium for Gopher football on campus, the 19,000-seat Xcel Energy Center, one of the best arenas in the NHL, and the recently renovated Target Center, while not the best NBA arena, is still a decent venue.

The only team left out in the dark would be the Vikings.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Here's what Fargo-Moorhead may end up having in a few years:

Football - Fargodome (19,287) built in 1992 and always being renovated
    Hockey - Urban Plains Center (5,000) built in 2008, brand-spanking new and state of the art
    Basketball - Scheels Center (That is my fantasy name for it) Seating 6,011 expandable to 8-9,000 built in 2010-2011
    Baseball - Newman Outdoor Field (4,509) built in 1996, is a great, intimate, state-of-the-art place to watch baseball.

We'll have them all covered.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

heckler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

With the Red Sox winning the World Series and playing in one of oldest ballparks, Celtics dominating the NBA, the Boston Bruins (doing ok), and Gillette Stadium being only 28.3 miles away (thank you google maps), I would say Boston is a great place to be sports wise.