Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will be the players to watch next year?

99Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Who will be the players to watch next year?

Personally think this stretch the field because of a WR concern is a bit over reaching.

We didn't stretch the field because we didn't throw it down field, personally would rather have someone that has excellent hands and body control/positioning to go down the field than someone who is "much faster" on some speed clock.

If we want to control the game you can't throw balls down the field all game long as it is a low percentage attempt with many high risk/reward attributes. You also would start to look like the old Babich called offense - Run, Run, Bomb, Punt.

Now of course you want to throw it down the field a few times to take shots and keep the D honest. Beyond that you can't hedge your bets on those plays at all.

Keep in mind our qb next year has a cannon! They will open up the deep ball a bit more with his ability to throw it downfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    Keep in mind our qb next year has a cannon! They will open up the deep ball a bit more with his ability to throw it downfield.
    As Coach Bohl said on one of his last interviews on WDAY they will always consider a good quarterback when recruiting. Mertens needs to step, and prove he deserves the position.

As far as looking forward to Roehl, Paschal, and D J Mcnorton. Can you say a Diesel powered sports car.

Washington to me appeared to be hesitant, and I am sorry, I do not know how he was special teams player of the conference. Improvement is definitely needed.

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post

Washington to me appeared to be hesitant, and I am sorry, I do not know how he was special teams player of the conference. Improvement is definitely needed.
    I'm sure a lot of it was him leading in Kick return average and being in the top 3 for punt return average. He was the top return man stats wise for both punt/kick return TD's, and nobody in the conference really lit it up with return TD's.

bisonhusker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Yep, DJ McNorton will be the next great thing, even though he has yet to prove anything, but we should wait to pass judgement our 4th year Junior QB who was once player of the year in MN. Interesting.

better look out for the bang stick

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
    You are in for a surprise than. DJ can do things that none of our current RB's can do, including Pat. Pat is the closest to DJ's style, but just not quite as explosive IMO.
    Based on what? Practice, Highlight video, Ol' Ball Coach or Personal Opinion.

I would be very suprised if he broke into the top two next year. Blincoe is a nice back, but DJ could maybe pass him on the depth chart. Dont be suprised if he DJ doesnt get many carries next year he will only be a freshman and with Roehl and Paschall back not enugh carries to go around.

I saw DJ in a couple of scrimmage games this fall. The one thing I couldn't tell was how fast he was. If anyone has any information on that I would be interested in that. But I can say that he definately has the moves to be playing next year. He was doing things that I haven't seen from any of our current backs. Likewise Roehl and Paschall do things others can't as well. I think of it this way.

Roehl is the power guy
    Paschall is the speed guy
    DJ is the shifty guy

Not that there isn't some of these attributes in all of them of course. I think next years carries will depend on the following:

Roehl: Can the guy continue to stay healthy with the way he runs. (Man I like to watch him run over people!) Will he continue to get faster in the offseason assuming his off season training has been modified for tailback.

Paschall: How much bulk can he put on in the off season. I think this is the thing that holds him back in our style of offense. He needs to get a little thicker to run inside and break that first tackle.

DJ: How fast is he and how much bulk can he put on.

Also, don't forget that Brower is back for his senior season and Matt V. will be a freshman as well. Plus Blincoe is solid. We are in good shape at tailback.

The battle for next years playing time takes place in the weight room. There is enough talent in all of these guys. We'll see who wants it more in the off season.

If im not mistaken dont we have Ramon Humber one more year.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBohl View Post
    If im not mistaken dont we have Ramon Humber one more year.
    One more year with Humber and Maresh. Henry will replace Mays to complete the LB core.