Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More good news out of gopher land

99Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: More good news out of gopher land

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirHinn
    Classy or not, Brewster is still landing big recruit after big recruit. The list continues to grow on the big name players he is adding. He must be doing something right, otherwise he wouldn't be landing those type of players. The Gophers are bad, this is something we already knew before the season.

Wasn't this originally a joke - that JD missed?

Quote Originally Posted by SirHinn View Post
    Classy or not, Brewster is still landing big recruit after big recruit. The list continues to grow on the big name players he is adding. He must be doing something right, otherwise he wouldn't be landing those type of players. The Gophers are bad, this is something we already knew before the season.
    Your joking right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan View Post
    Your joking right?
    The Gophers are landing big time recruits, 100% dead serious. They'll end up with a top 20 recruiting class which is absolutely unheard of at Minnesota. People talk about how horrible it was that they couldn't even land a local kid in Michael Floyd, but since they lost him they went out and landed 3 big time wide receievers. He's landed a couple of big time linebackers and cornerbacks. The scary thing is, he still could land his son who is a stud safety, Willie Mobley, and a stud QB. As bad as the Gophers were this year, Brewster is going out and doing exactly what he's known for. Could Minnesota be like Illinois in a couple of years? If he keeps getting freakish athletes like he is, they very well could be.

Brewster recruited by throwing the program under the bus.

Come to Minnesota, you can start right out of the gate because Joe our starter and Jack our backup suck!

The proof will be in the pudding-can Brewster win?

The answer is likely no. He went 1-11 when he should have gone 4-8 at worst. Mason would have made it to another bowl game, imo.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    Brewster recruited by throwing the program under the bus.

Come to Minnesota, you can start right out of the gate because Joe our starter and Jack our backup suck!

The proof will be in the pudding-can Brewster win?

The answer is likely no. He went 1-11 when he should have gone 4-8 at worst. Mason would have made it to another bowl game, imo.
    Congrats, maybe Glen Mason would have gone 6 and 6 and barely made a bad bowl game like every other year there. He couldn't put the team over the top and bring them to the next level so they wanted to make a change before the new stadium was built. After the debacle against Texas Tech and Michigan, tough to blame them.
    Obviously you don't even consider the fact that they lost 6 of those games by a combined 23 points. So your right, come to Minnesota and start because Glen Mason couldn't recruit and had a bunch of sucks on his team. Do you judge all coaches after 1 year? If so, your definately not a great college football mind.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Brewster proved last year that he sucks as an on-the-field coach. Unless he consciously threw his team under the bus and tried to go 1-11 (in which case he is a complete ass), I am waiting to see some sign, any sign, that he is a good sideline coach.

A good coach gets the most from his talent, not the least. It was painful to watch the gophers near the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    Brewster proved last year that he sucks as an on-the-field coach. Unless he consciously threw his team under the bus and tried to go 1-11 (in which case he is a complete ass), I am waiting to see some sign, any sign, that he is a good sideline coach.

A good coach gets the most from his talent, not the least. It was painful to watch the gophers near the end of the season.
    Your right, the last 2 games Minnesota lost by a combined 12 points against Iowa and Wisconsin. The same Wisconsin team that dominated Michigan the week prior. Clearly you didn't watch them play outside of the Bison game the 2nd half of the season. Try actually watching a game of Gopher football instead of strictly looking at win losses. Try looking at statistics from the first half of the season compared to the 2nd half of the season and tell me they weren't greatly improved.
    I hate to see Bohl leave because the next guy coming in will get absolutely ridiculed. If he doesn't go undefeated or make the playoffs, you'll ask for his head after one season.

Hate to say it, but Minnesota was a lot better than there 1-11 record, and like Hihn said, they finished the season strong against Iowa/Wisconsin.

With that being said, they will be a mid level Big 10 team at best. They won't be able to compete with Wisconsin/OSU/MICH/PSU on a yearly basis, and Zook's doing a great job building Illinois. They could have some good marquee wins against 1 or 2 in any given year as long as the program progresses under Boobster and doesn't regress, but I don't ever see them being on that kind of elite level.

Quote Originally Posted by SirHinn View Post
    The Gophers are landing big time recruits, 100% dead serious. They'll end up with a top 20 recruiting class which is absolutely unheard of at Minnesota. People talk about how horrible it was that they couldn't even land a local kid in Michael Floyd, but since they lost him they went out and landed 3 big time wide receievers. He's landed a couple of big time linebackers and cornerbacks. The scary thing is, he still could land his son who is a stud safety, Willie Mobley, and a stud QB. As bad as the Gophers were this year, Brewster is going out and doing exactly what he's known for. Could Minnesota be like Illinois in a couple of years? If he keeps getting freakish athletes like he is, they very well could be.
    I still don't believe that these kids are that good. So what if they have 3 or 4 stars by their name. We played against these star players at MN and CM and I didn't see too many of them standing out. I see lots of problems ahead for Brewster. Did anyone see how good Missouri is doing this year? I bet they have never had a top anything recruiting class.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan View Post
    I still don't believe that these kids are that good. So what if they have 3 or 4 stars by their name. We played against these star players at MN and CM and I didn't see too many of them standing out. I see lots of problems ahead for Brewster. Did anyone see how good Missouri is doing this year? I bet they have never had a top anything recruiting class.
    Well coaching plays a big part as well, and Brewster needs to be better at that. He wasn't this year, but that doesn't mean he won't get better.

Recruiting is very important, but what's more important is getting the right kids in to play your system and developing them.