Default Re: Gateway name change??

SWEET!!
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

I like the logo++++
    Proud sponsor of SAMBINIS ATHLETICS TFA and SAMBOS TRACK CLUB

DIBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Awesome news!! NDSU & SDSU are now associated with the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Don't underestimate a name, brand and logo!!

Very cool news. What do you think the chances are that we someday get into the Valley basketball converence? If so, would it be in the near future, 5 years out, etc?
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Very cool news. What do you think the chances are that we someday get into the Valley basketball converence? If so, would it be in the near future, 5 years out, etc?
    Overall, I think the chances are still quite low, but improving. I doubt there is any chance it could happen within the next 7 years, a small chance it could happen in 7-15 years, and almost anything could happen after 15 years. The next step is on Tuesday. If Mike Williams is defeated(the worse the better), the arena will almost certainly get commission approval without a needing a city-wide vote. After that, the next test will be if Chapman/Taylor/NDSU can get an acceptable amount for the naming rights. We should know the answer to that by late August, hopefully earlier. A BSA renovation that includes the basketball practice addition will also be a prerequisite to MVC consideration, as well as continued improvement in coaching salaries and attendance. That's the stuff NDSU can completely control.

Then there's the stuff under partial NDSU control. That consists mainly of on-court performance. I doubt the MVC would take a hard look at NDSU without at least three MBB tournament appearances and at least one win. In fact, I'm betting a sweet sixteen appearance will be required to really get the non-football schools' attention. NDSU's MBB RPI will have to stay between 100-150 most of the time, with brief stints below 100.

The worst is the stuff that's completely outside NDSU's control. It's my belief that if NDSU is to make a run at MVC membership, SDSU absolutely must be right there beside us. They have, or will have, good facilities(Frost will need some minor work), but their MBB team has a long way to go. They will also need to find a way to continue and increase their football success, including attendance. It would also help if Wichita State could add football and if Indiana State could completely turn their program around.

There are tons of other things that need to happen, but most are years away. All NDSU(us included) can do is the stuff within our control. For fans, that means showing up to the games, donating to Team Makers and the building funds, and trying to turn your friends into Bison fans. Joe, Gene, Craig, Saul, Carolyn, and Luck will have to take care of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Overall, I think the chances are still quite low, but improving. I doubt there is any chance it could happen within the next 7 years, a small chance it could happen in 7-15 years, and almost anything could happen after 15 years. The next step is on Tuesday. If Mike Williams is defeated(the worse the better), the arena will almost certainly get commission approval without a needing a city-wide vote. After that, the next test will be if Chapman/Taylor/NDSU can get an acceptable amount for the naming rights. We should know the answer to that by late August, hopefully earlier. A BSA renovation that includes the basketball practice addition will also be a prerequisite to MVC consideration, as well as continued improvement in coaching salaries and attendance. That's the stuff NDSU can completely control.

Then there's the stuff under partial NDSU control. That consists mainly of on-court performance. I doubt the MVC would take a hard look at NDSU without at least three MBB tournament appearances and at least one win. In fact, I'm betting a sweet sixteen appearance will be required to really get the non-football schools' attention. NDSU's MBB RPI will have to stay between 100-150 most of the time, with brief stints below 100.

The worst is the stuff that's completely outside NDSU's control. It's my belief that if NDSU is to make a run at MVC membership, SDSU absolutely must be right there beside us. They have, or will have, good facilities(Frost will need some minor work), but their MBB team has a long way to go. They will also need to find a way to continue and increase their football success, including attendance. It would also help if Wichita State could add football and if Indiana State could completely turn their program around.

There are tons of other things that need to happen, but most are years away. All NDSU(us included) can do is the stuff within our control. For fans, that means showing up to the games, donating to Team Makers and the building funds, and trying to turn your friends into Bison fans. Joe, Gene, Craig, Saul, Carolyn, and Luck will have to take care of the rest.
    I agree with you 100%, but there is also many things that could cause an all MVC invite earlier than we would think, not going to get into a big speel but with all the possible conference changes being entertained in the next 5 years, its going to make the commish from these want to secure stability, by adding teams, Indiana St. made big steps to improve their FB program this offseason with a new Head Coach and some pretty good recruits he brought in, also put some money into New uniforms and color schemes so thats a bonus, Wichita St. probably has about the same chance of bringing back football as we do of adding Hockey, but I could be wrong and maybe there have been behind the scene talks that the name change to the MVFC will try to get them back, as Youngstown St. would most likely bolt if they added another team.
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post

Do all of the existing MVC programs have a sweet sixteen appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Do all of the existing MVC programs have a sweet sixteen appearance?
    No. As far as I can tell, seven of the ten MVC schools have had S16 appearances; four of them in the last decade. Within the last eleven years, every current MVC member has made the tourney, for a total of 23 slots. Within that span, only Drake, Evensville and Northern Iowa haven't won at least one game. Bradley, Missouri State, Southern Illinois and Wichita State all made it to the S16, but none advanced further. Historically, Bradley, Drake, Indiana State and Wichita State all have made Final Four appearances, with Bradley and ISU(with Larry Bird) making it to the championship(both lost).

Great info Hammer. That really puts that conference in perspective. They've definetly had some success. Let's just hope that someday....