Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About the attendance...

Default About the attendance...

Considering where this team was at the beginning of this decade, 15,796 for the least-attended game of the year is nothing short of remarkable.

5 years ago, this would've been a game with 7,000 in attendance. I remember attending a certain game in mid-November 2003 against Concordia-St. Paul where the attendance was 7,045. I said, THE ATTENDANCE WAS 7,045. I saw chunks of open seats in the lower half of sec. 1, the most primo seats in the house. I could've just taken a seat right there. Almost the entire north end zone was bare empty. It was embarrassing.

We almost had 16,000 today. This is our low point for the year. Today's crowd is a testament to how huge our fan base has become in the past 5 years.

Yeah, the student section was thin and quiet, I chalk that up to a lot of students deciding to sleep in and not go to what was probably the 2nd-least important game of the year. Hell, even I almost decided to sleep in myself, and I consider myself one of the hardcores. Today, we were playing a team that NOBODY cared about. I heard people in the student section talking about how sorry they felt for this Southern Utah team.

We now average 18,148 per game. if you told me back in 2003 that our 2007 average would be over 18,000 per game and that we would sell out 5 of 6 home games in late 2006-2007, I would have said you were on something, then I would ask for a little of that myself.

Also, did you know that we are almost in the top-100 in average attendance nationwide regardless of division?? We were something like #107 last week. this team has good support. Don't get down on the fans, PLEASE.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Default Re: About the attendance...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    Considering where this team was at the beginning of this decade, 15,796 for the least-attended game of the year is nothing short of remarkable.

5 years ago, this would've been a game with 7,000 in attendance. I remember attending a certain game in mid-November 2003 against Concordia-St. Paul where the attendance was 7,045. I said, THE ATTENDANCE WAS 7,045. I saw chunks of open seats in the lower half of sec. 1, the most primo seats in the house. I could've just taken a seat right there. Almost the entire north end zone was bare empty. It was embarrassing.

We almost had 16,000 today. This is our low point for the year. Today's crowd is a testament to how huge our fan base has become in the past 5 years.

Yeah, the student section was thin and quiet, I chalk that up to a lot of students deciding to sleep in and not go to what was probably the 2nd-least important game of the year. Hell, even I almost decided to sleep in myself, and I consider myself one of the hardcores. Today, we were playing a team that NOBODY cared about. I heard people in the student section talking about how sorry they felt for this Southern Utah team.

We now average 18,148 per game. if you told me back in 2003 that our 2007 average would be over 18,000 per game and that we would sell out 5 of 6 home games in late 2006-2007, I would have said you were on something, then I would ask for a little of that myself.

Also, did you know that we are almost in the top-100 in average attendance nationwide regardless of division?? We were something like #107 last week. this team has good support. Don't get down on the fans, PLEASE.

Right on bro! The bar has been raised. It was quiet but it wasn't dead quiet. Just not as exciting as the last 3 games, including the Gophers which was on a whole nother level. Plus that was a CRAPPY ASS GAME! 0-7 Southern Utah that we've never lost to? Yeah, I'm freakin' psyched! (sarcasm)

The key is how we respond to Illinois State! This is our future Gateway opponent and it's on TV so let's put on a kick ass show! Let's drink an extra beer or 2 (or as Peyton Manning likes to say, "Liquored up!") so your not too shy to cheer. Let's go out and bring that extra roudy guy that just got released. If your in the front row, STAND UP so everyone behind you has to stand up. JUst showoing up is not good enough anymore. And if you don't have a gold/yellow shirt go out and buy one. GO buy a Bison horn.

99Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Agree with this years successes on attendance, but 5 years ago this would have not been 7000. If we were undefeated, it would have been around 12k.

Right on...and add factors like an afternoon game on an autumn day, farm work, hunting, etc. A game like this back at Dakota Field would have been pretttttty quiet.

And in terms of energy, the team 'and' the fans were bound to have a letdown after last weekend. Things turned out fine for the Bison, but they came out slightly flat. It was an obvious 'off' weekend. Totally predictable.

We're getting a little spoiled...but that's a good thing I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    Right on...and add factors like an afternoon game on an autumn day, farm work, hunting, etc. A game like this back at Dakota Field would have been pretttttty quiet.

And in terms of energy, the team 'and' the fans were bound to have a letdown after last weekend. Things turned out fine for the Bison, but they came out slightly flat. It was an obvious 'off' weekend. Totally predictable.

We're getting a little spoiled...but that's a good thing I guess.
    ++++++++++++++++++++
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I heard people in the student section talking about how sorry they felt for this Southern Utah team.
    Perhaps you were sitting by me cause I actually said that myself.

As I have posted before-- It all about developing a fan base to have sellouts. You will ALWAYS have some empty seats. Thats a given. People have conflicts in scheduling, and other responsibilities in life. People have to get over the fact that some will miss a game here and there.
    When NDSU has a consistent fan base which leads to consistent sellouts then the future speculation of where NDSU is going will fall into place. PL
    Last edited by 56BISON73; 10-28-2007 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
    Perhaps you were sitting by me cause I actually said that myself.
    I was in row P (16th row) section 16. Were you near there??
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

BisonBabe is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I was surprised with the smaller crowd. But then again it was to be expected with playoff games for high school football going on as well as the other things mentioned. Most thought it would be a sure win. SUU may be a winless team but they are not a terrible team by any means.

Well-behaved women seldom make history. ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

For me, the most disappointing thing about the small attendance and less than enthusiastic crowd was that those kids deserved a much better reception than what we gave them after last weeks historic win. I was hoping the reception they received when they came onto the field would be deafening and go on so long the game would be delayed. No such luck.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck