Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Gold Star Marching Band

Default Re: Gold Star Marching Band

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    I think that the band has done an outstanding job over the past D1 years. The sound is really good and the uniform upgrade did wonders.

The GSMB has its share of good times and glory because of the playoffs and trips to Frisco...

... but the demands placed on the band have been significant. It's a double-edged sword.

North Dakota is not a marching band state for high schoolers. South Dakota is. Kids that join the GSMB could be experiencing their first on-field marching. Not true in most of the MVFC states.

A modified Big Ten style of marching is the tradition. I don't see a corp-style band being feasible at NDSU. It's too sterile without tremendous numbers.

My hat is off to the band and its director.
    I can vouch for SD being a marching band state; I drive school bus for a school in SE SD. I haul the marching band to various communities for marching competition once every two weeks in the fall. It's quite the big deal. Some of these class B school bands that compete aren't big in terms of numbers.

North Dakota and Minnesota have very few field marching bands which makes GSMB all the more impressive considering very few members have EVER done a field marching show before, and many have never done any Marching band whatsoever! However, University of Minnesota Marching band faces very similar problems. I have had many former students march there (who have never done field shows) and said that MOST members have not done field shows before. That being said, I'm sure they have a longer camp to get acclimated to the program.

I would say that Sig's legacy is pretty much tripling the membership (EXCELLENT) and I have observed that the overall musicianship has increased over the last 15 years as well, not sure how much this coincides with the school of music opening at NDSU. When they do the sections trounce around by themselves in the tailgate lot (trumpets, low brass etc) Its very clear that many of them are very talented musicians!

Given the circumstances, GSMB is punching way above its weight, but make no mistake, there is alot that can be done to improve, even within the limitations, and I am excited to see them as they push forward with the new director, whoever that ends up being
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

My old band teacher was an ndsu alum and had us north dakota kids march in the memorial day parade every year. They also played at all the high-school sporting events. That was 25 years ago. They don't do any of that now at the high-school. Played trombone eh.

Lardsin must go!

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    North Dakota and Minnesota have very few field marching bands which makes GSMB all the more impressive considering very few members have EVER done a field marching show before, and many have never done any Marching band whatsoever! However, University of Minnesota Marching band faces very similar problems. I have had many former students march there (who have never done field shows) and said that MOST members have not done field shows before. That being said, I'm sure they have a longer camp to get acclimated to the program.

I would say that Sig's legacy is pretty much tripling the membership (EXCELLENT) and I have observed that the overall musicianship has increased over the last 15 years as well, not sure how much this coincides with the school of music opening at NDSU. When they do the sections trounce around by themselves in the tailgate lot (trumpets, low brass etc) Its very clear that many of them are very talented musicians!

Given the circumstances, GSMB is punching way above its weight, but make no mistake, there is alot that can be done to improve, even within the limitations, and I am excited to see them as they push forward with the new director, whoever that ends up being
    U of M marching band training camp is 12 days, 12 hours a day. Most of the membership marched in high school. They're a substantial step above the GSMB as is to be expected for the resources they've poured into it.

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    My old band teacher was an ndsu alum and had us north dakota kids march in the memorial day parade every year. They also played at all the high-school sporting events. That was 25 years ago. They don't do any of that now at the high-school. Played trombone eh.
    I figured you would play the skin flute.

Quote Originally Posted by totoinfl View Post
    I figured you would play the skin flute.
    I was so pissed when I got made to join the band. Hated it. Then I got into junior high and realized that there was only like 5 boys in band and about 40 girls. It wasn't so bad after that.

Lardsin must go!

Southern Minnesota and the Twin Cities actually have quite a few field show bands. They also have several large parade bands. U of M doesn't have to train their members to march. NDSU does.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

DORMIE is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I heard that Sig's replacement is a former GSMB member and the
    son of Bob and Sheila Challey, whom the School of Music is
    funded by.

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    I was so pissed when I got made to join the band. Hated it. Then I got into junior high and realized that there was only like 5 boys in band and about 40 girls. It wasn't so bad after that.
    Using that logic, I assume you were a cheerleader too?

Quote Originally Posted by totoinfl View Post
    Using that logic, I assume you were a cheerleader too?
    I talked to some people about wearing the thundar outfit. No shit.

Lardsin must go!