Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Major trouble at Oral Roberts

Default Re: Major trouble at Oral Roberts

I always thought it should be ANAL roberts!

What a travesty!

Our good friend Ned Flanders went to ORU.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Richard Roberts and his wife appeared on Larry King last night. Here is a link to the article at CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/10/10...uit/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    This will have no long term effects on Oral Roberts. The school certainly will not drop its athletic program because of one mans actions... Thinking that is borderline ridiculous.

The students and alumni of the school would certainly not allow that.
    What alumni? They've been around for less than 40 years, it's not like there are 4 generation ORU families out there. If the evangelical community, who are the ones supporting this university and others like it, 'lose faith' in the leadership at Oral Roberts it could literally be 'game over' for the entire institution let alone the athletic department. Now, that's probably not going to happen but certainly isn't a ridiculous notion. The money and the power in that block move as one, think as one, act as one. If it gets bad enough, again not likely, they'll just shut off the lights. More likely he'll repent on national TV, he and his wife and kids will cry their alligator tears and the money will come pouring back in.
    Last edited by bisonaudit; 06-10-2015 at 08:15 PM.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

KC Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

There could be 3 generations of students from the school. There is plenty of oil money associated with the school but the school has had it's financial ups and downs. I think Richard and Oral can still go on TV, make an appeal, and his supports will keep the money "pooring" in. In my trips to Tulsa, I've seen their television station on cable and it appears to have plenty of support.

bisoneer is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Looks like some dirt there right?

On top of everything else, the school is $55 million in debt.

Regents Chairman Says ORU $55M in Debt

The university reported nearly $76 million in revenue in 2005, according to the Internal Revenue Service, and one former regent said its endowment once approached $60 million. Its endowment today exceeds $34 million, a university spokesman said. Its operating budget for 2007-2008 was more than $82 million.
    I don't think we have to worry about them closing up shop in the next couple of years, but you do have to wonder about the long-term health of the university with Oral Roberts almost 90 and Richard Roberts facing disgrace.

DORMIE is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Biggest challenge for UND and USD is that they won't get a look for about 4 years. By then, the schools in The Summit League will figure out that they won't want to add 2 more schools from up in this area because of the travel expenses. They will find partners that are closer.

Quote Originally Posted by DORMIE View Post
    Biggest challenge for UND and USD is that they won't get a look for about 4 years. By then, the schools in The Summit League will figure out that they won't want to add 2 more schools from up in this area because of the travel expenses. They will find partners that are closer.
    MI to UT, ND to LA. As long as they stay out of the Pacific time zone and the American League East...

Southern Utah has been in the league for 10 years so I think the geography case against us or against a fruther expansion Northwest is pretty weak, especially if there are viable travel partners involved.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

the link in the opening post has disbanded. what happened at oru?
    Ho! A cheer for Green and Yellow!