Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Senior Leadership....

Default Senior Leadership....

Who are going to be the captains next year....I say it should be Mossey....Oh wait he left the program....And he was captain as a freshman too!!! Good call!!!! Or we could just hand the reigns over to Gavin Hofer and Ryan Langlais and watch them blossom into leaders....I would also consider throwing Bushland in with this group simply because he throws the most awesome parties ever!!!

Default Re: Senior Leadership....

Quote Originally Posted by GetSerious View Post
    Who are going to be the captains next year....I say it should be Mossey....Oh wait he left the program....And he was captain as a freshman too!!! Good call!!!! Or we could just hand the reigns over to Gavin Hofer and Ryan Langlais and watch them blossom into leaders....I would also consider throwing Bushland in with this group simply because he throws the most awesome parties ever!!!
    First of all, that last sentence has NO business on this message board. Second of all, the baseball program has never designated captains or voted on captains or had captains appointed by the coaching staff. True team captains develop from their own leadership abilities. If a freshman (who happens to be the short stop which is considered the captain of the infield anyway) steps up to be the vocal leader of the team, then whats wrong with that. Steve Walker has been the team leader since he steped on the field as a freshman and the same can be said for Ben Woodside. Those guys were never appointed ahead of time by their coaches as captains or leaders. Their play and competative makeup made them leaders on their own.

jeffdaryl3rd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

How about Kole Zimmerman? (yep, according to the roster for next year, he will be back for year #6). Langlais, Hofer, okay I can live with that. If you need Shane Bushland to give you senior leadership you are in deep trouble.

the program will never be able to recover from losing Greg Plecki.

You hit it right on the head Boss man....And bisonpride get your facts straight before you start spouting off at the mouth....Get a clue my firend!!!! Mossey was named the captain by the coach along with kole zimmerman....And that did not go over very well at all with a big group of the team!!!! He was named the captain before playing a single game....If that is perfectly fine with you then great but it wasn't with other people in the program... Just ask a couple honest people from the last 2-3 years!!!!

Mossey was a fit as "captain", coach selected or otherwise because he was not only one of the best players on the team he actually played with some fire and seeemed to care about the crappy on field performance of the team as a whole. Having said that, I would really hate to see what this program looked like the last 3 years without Kole Zimmerman. It would not be pretty.

Wags guess what....Kole Zimmerman could care less about this stuff so you do not have to hang from his sac!!!! I have a problem with giving a Freshman who has not stepped on the field a captain spot when you have players like Chuck Magz, Matt Erzar, Terry "lil cuzin' Tchida, and last but not least one of the toughest players to ever suit up in a Bison jersey in Nate "the great" Thomas.....Wags you are a smart kid and you know for a fact that naming Mossey a captain tore that team up!!!!!

I think what tore that team up was the inability of our pitchers to throw strikes, our fielders to catch the ball, and all but a few of our hitters to have anything close to consistent at bats. Mossey was the best player on that team and to suggest that he was one of the problems that year is ridiculous. By the way, I don't remember naming captains at any point during my time in the program.

Wags you are lost my friend....Mitch strolled out and named Mossey and Zimmerman captains by the coaches in practice....Now did that mess up people's pitching and hitting....probably not!!! But team chemistry can take you along way and naming a sophmore and freshman as the captains of a pretty senior laden team is not a strong move IMO....Look at the NCC champs and tell me that team did not have a strong group of senior leaders who led a team to a fairly successful season.....Stop checkin' out pics of Lambert and start checkin' some of the facts!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GetSerious View Post
    Wags you are lost my friend....Mitch strolled out and named Mossey and Zimmerman captains by the coaches in practice....Now did that mess up people's pitching and hitting....probably not!!! But team chemistry can take you along way and naming a sophmore and freshman as the captains of a pretty senior laden team is not a strong move IMO....Look at the NCC champs and tell me that team did not have a strong group of senior leaders who led a team to a fairly successful season.....Stop checkin' out pics of Lambert and start checkin' some of the facts!!!!
    FALSE! Mossey and Zimmerman were NEVER named captains of the team! That is a FACT! In 2004, there was NEVER a captain named for that team. BOSS and Piepkorn were the vocal captains but were never ever named as "captains". Captains were never appointed by the coaches as that was McLeod's philosophy to allow the true leaders of the team to emerge and to allow several guys on the team the ability to step up and either lead by example or vocally. As far as the 05' team being senior laden?? What are you talking about? Tchida, Thomas, Erickson, Ford, and Goltz. Since when does 5 seniors on a baseball team make it senior laden? Then to supposedly name "captains" among that group. Tchida (possible but not very outspoken), Thomas (never played til senior year and never talked ever, but damn could he get his uni dirty in BP), Erickson (wasnt even with the team until the last semester), Ford (relief pitchers usually arent captains), Goltz (quiet guy that went about his business). Thus another reason why captains were never named!

FACT-The program will never be able to recover without Greg Plecki.