Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great West inteview.

Default Re: Great West inteview.

NOW, UND WANTS TO REACH THE SUMMIT
    http://www.grandforksherald.com/arti...section=sports

“Clearly, for us, our No. 1 logical choice of preference would be with The Summit League,” UND athletic director Tom Buning said. “If you put together a matrix of all things considered, they come out on the positive side of many, many things.

What happened to the Big Sky Conference wanting UND so badly that it denied NDSU and SDSU to wait on UND?

With NDSU and SDSU leaving and being replaced by first-year Division I schools, how much will the level of competition drop in 2008?
    Looking at the success North Dakota State has had, and South Dakota State, in their move from Division II to Division I, I think there's a benchmark there. If you look at both of the programs, USD and UND right now, I think you may see that they have been better-quality programs than those two schools when they made the move. So I don't see much of a dropoff.
    Do you mean when the programs entered Division I?
    Yes.

At least they clarified it although the UND interviewer believes UND has a better program than NDSU currently does.
    Hail The Bison! The March Is Still On!

I will admit, UND is doing better in its last DII year than NDSU was in its last DII year (and that horrible year before), so they got a point there, but it remains to be seen how that will be translated into DI success. The circumstances at UND and NDSU are almost night and day.

Still, I expect UND will have success in the GWFC.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Nothing against Grom but he seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder now that the SUs have moved on... which the spin doctors in el Forko Grande are all to willing to exploit.

I can kind of understand the chip. I definitely understand the spin. What I don't understand is the continuing departure from reality among teh university faithful.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    I will admit, UND is doing better in its last DII year than NDSU was in its last DII year (and that horrible year before), so they got a point there, but it remains to be seen how that will be translated into DI success. The circumstances at UND and NDSU are almost night and day.

I won't admit that, both UND and USD are playing in a crippled NCC and UND's football schedule is not in the ballpark as ours was. You can't compare the two schools. However, I agree completely with the later. I think all the USD and UND people saying we were their guniea pigs are out of their minds. Both the XDU's are entering DI in what is a very different environment.
    Last edited by NDSUstudent; 08-26-2007 at 10:43 PM.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post

NDSU literally built the Great West from the ground up. UND is stepping in to fill the void left by us moving on to better pastures. That said, I'd bet the farm, (and I really do have a farm), that this is the last break UND gets for a long, long time.

tcbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by KC_Hats View Post
    NOW, UND WANTS TO REACH THE SUMMIT
    http://www.grandforksherald.com/arti...section=sports
    For an article written about UND they sure talked about NDSU a lot.

17 Times Football National Champions
    BISON PRIDE!

Just for clarification, these conferences they are wanting to join are the same ones that they felt provided no significant increase in competative action then DII?
    Last edited by bisonmike2; 08-27-2007 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    Just for clarification, these conferances they are wanting to join are the same ones that they felt provided no significant competative action then DII?
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

When one looks at the DI moritorium, it ought to scare the hell out of the UND folks. All the DI movement in conferences created opportunities for the xDSUs to get into the Summit and the Gateway. Now that movement is gone due to the moritorium on DI moves. I think UND is going to be frozen out for a long time. The last thing UND wants is a situation with no moves from conference to conference in all of DI.

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN View Post
    When one looks at the DI moritorium, it ought to scare the hell out of the UND folks. All the DI movement in conferences created opportunities for the xDSUs to get into the Summit and the Gateway. Now that movement is gone due to the moritorium on DI moves. I think UND is going to be frozen out for a long time. The last thing UND wants is a situation with no moves from conference to conference in all of DI.
    Another thing the moratorium does to UND is it stops the pool of teams in transition from being refilled. Some of the schools that made the move to D1 earlier will settle into a conference somewhere in the country and won't be desperate enough to play UND, and no new schools are moving up, so who do they play? The more I think about it, the more it looks like the moratorium is going to really bite UND, even though they made it in under the wire.