Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bison Pride

Default Re: Bison Pride

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    The non call on the illegal block in the back was a joke. That rule is designed to protect a defenseless player. The fumble by Shamen? Who knows, they only want to use their fancy replay boards when it is beneficial to SDSU.
    Wow. Where do I start. Regarding the replay, it is standard operating procedure most places NOT to show up the referees on any play. In this case it's an order from the conference. There's that whole credibility of the referee calls thing to consider.

Note that we didn't replay the possible pass interference on Wagner either. So if it's an officiating question, we don't show the replay. If you're doing it at the FFD, you're probably violating conference policy.

As for the alleged block in the back, let's go to the video (and images) for that one. You can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sIR60Ho608

It's at the 2:04 mark.

Better yet, you can review stills here:

http://www.letsgorabbits.com/block/

You'll note that in the first couple of images, the two players are running along and might even be touching each other. By image three, about five yards from Aanonson, there's daylight. By image five, your guy is running upright and there's about a yard separating him from our player. Then about image 7 your player starts to trip over his own feet and falls into Aanonson.

Can we put that one to rest now?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjack View Post
    Wow. Where do I start. Regarding the replay, it is standard operating procedure most places NOT to show up the referees on any play. In this case it's an order from the conference. There's that whole credibility of the referee calls thing to consider.

?
    I don't know about that. Most places, especially if it favors the home team, will show a replay of a ref's bad call over and over again. NDSU does it. We even slow it down on the replays. I've been there many times when they've played a bad call and the whole crowd starts booing. I've seen it many times on tv as well. I don't think SDSU was shying away from replaying some plays. I just think that whoever was running the replay booth didn't know what they were doing. Everything seemed inconsistent and ackward.

The not showing of controversial calls isnt a nation wide rule. It has been more of a suggestion. WHY. Because of idiot fans behavior and death threats against referees. Sad but true. PL

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    I don't know about that. Most places, especially if it favors the home team, will show a replay of a ref's bad call over and over again. NDSU does it. We even slow it down on the replays. I've been there many times when they've played a bad call and the whole crowd starts booing. I've seen it many times on tv as well. I don't think SDSU was shying away from replaying some plays. I just think that whoever was running the replay booth didn't know what they were doing. Everything seemed inconsistent and ackward.
    They know what they're doing. Keyframe, a division of Daktronics that also handles productions at places like Florida, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Clemson, and many others (not to mention most NFL stadiums) produces the games and operates the cameras and board at SDSU.

I guess you've never been anywhere other than NDSU. Also standard procedure not to show controversial plays at other places where I've worked: Iowa, Purdue, Oklahoma. Apparently at most places, the integrity of the refereeing is more important than fans' desire to see ref's possible mistakes replayed in the stadium.

Policy? SOP? Order? If it's such an important issue that it gets three names, then the policy / SOP / order must be available in written form someplace. The rationale behind the 'policy' isn't relevant if its actual existence is at issue. Produce the 'policy' and then we can turn to the wisdom of challenging the credibility of the refs.
    Gay-Communist-Bully-TAB

Quote Originally Posted by UND Thundering Herd View Post
    I'll take your changing the subject as an admission that it's just the way SDSU operates and nothing else. That's their problem and I hope that they work things out before our next visit.
    You need to get out more. A quick Google search turns up all kinds of references to conference and league (collegiate and professional) policies/rules against teams showing controversial plays on stadium big screens. Obviously, it's fair game to show them on TV. It sure doesn't seem too far fetched to me that the video board operators at CAS we just following GWFC policy.

Need examples? Here are a few:

The Ohio State University & the Big 10
    One situation, though, Smith and his crew will never show: "Controversial calls. The Big Ten prohibits us from replaying them, with good reason."

"Fans can boo all they want," Smith continued, "but we're not going to replay a controversial call; it's just not fair to the referees." Seven people have "sign-off" on a replay before it can air. "If anybody says 'hold it,' we don't run it."

The NHL:
    The NHL has a policy regarding not showing "potentially controversial calls" on the jumbotron. Some franchises choose to do this anyways, and just pay the fine that comes with it.

The Mountain West Conference:
    The Mountain West Conference has the most-restrictive replay policy in the NCAA, according to the Information Display Entertainment Association. It was designed that way.

The conference handbook says replays in basketball can only be seen once, and they can't be played in slow motion. It might as well be in fast-motion for all the good it does. And it certainly isn't any fun.

The league established the conservative policy to prevent misuse in situations where video coordinators might incite a crowd into a dither over calls. They wanted to protect the decorum of officials and not have them shown up on the big screen.

Major League Baseball:
    "Baseball has written policies against showing controversial plays. They're also not supposed to show any play over and over — anything that might ignite the crowd. Never a controversial play."

They know what they're doing. Keyframe, a division of Daktronics that also handles productions at places like Florida, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Clemson, and many others (not to mention most NFL stadiums) produces the games and operates the cameras and board at SDSU.

I guess you've never been anywhere other than NDSU. Also standard procedure not to show controversial plays at other places where I've worked: Iowa, Purdue, Oklahoma. Apparently at most places, the integrity of the refereeing is more important than fans' desire to see ref's possible mistakes replayed in the stadium.
    Sorry I thought that the SDSU replay people didn't know what they are doing. I guess I'm just used to a higher standard a video replay when I go to a football game. Every college game I've been to that has video replay has never hesitated to show controversial plays. NDSU, Minnesota, Nebraska. I'm sure they did it at the USD game I went to with their lite brite scoreboard. Plus I've been to 2 different pro-football stadiums and both played controversial plays over and over. What's the big deal in admiting that maybe your guys fudged it up?

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    Sorry I thought that the SDSU replay people didn't know what they are doing. I guess I'm just used to a higher standard a video replay when I go to a football game. Every college game I've been to that has video replay has never hesitated to show controversial plays. NDSU, Minnesota, Nebraska. I'm sure they did it at the USD game I went to with their lite brite scoreboard. Plus I've been to 2 different pro-football stadiums and both played controversial plays over and over. What's the big deal in admiting that maybe your guys fudged it up?
    Sorry for trying to put facts in the way of your theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksfaninne View Post
    You need to get out more. A quick Google search turns up all kinds of references to conference and league (collegiate and professional) policies/rules against teams showing controversial plays on stadium big screens. Obviously, it's fair game to show them on TV. It sure doesn't seem too far fetched to me that the video board operators at CAS we just following GWFC policy.

Need examples? Here are a few:
    I'm sure that putting those examples together was a lot of work and I apologize for not being impressed. I am asking about the specific policy that you say SDSU is following. Applying SDSU's actions to what they do in the NHL is like appealing a US federal court case to the Supreme Court of Canada (ie, irrelevant). I am not going to go crawling around, looking for the rule that you cite. It's your allegation = your burden of proof. If you find the policy and post it to this thread, I will then apologize to you for ever questioning your authority and STFU.
    Gay-Communist-Bully-TAB

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksfaninne View Post
    Sorry for trying to put facts in the way of your theory.
    Well you did try however I'm still waiting for your facts.