PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Recruits

99Bison
07-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Bison get commitment from receiver

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=172760

Hakeem Bourne-McFarland, a 6-foot-2, 200-pound receiver who will be a senior at Bloomington Kennedy

sambini
07-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Same high school as Wacker in the Hall.

KC_Hats
07-25-2007, 02:28 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=172760 (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=172760)

The first verbal committment of 2008 is a big receiver from Minneapolis. Great recruiting by Coach Bohl to get such an early verbal. :)> :bow:

Bisonguy
07-25-2007, 02:37 AM
His HS coach (Dave Frisell) stated he was the best WR he ever coached.

FWIW, Frisell used to coach at St. Francis where some kid named Travis White went to school.
Some of you may have heard of him.

tcbison
07-25-2007, 02:45 AM
His HS coach (Dave Frisell) stated he was the best WR he ever coached.

FWIW, Frisell used to coach at St. Francis where some kid named Travis White went to school.
Some of you may have heard of him.

Nice find! Thanks for posting this. :)

Bisonguy
07-25-2007, 02:47 AM
Nice find! Thanks for posting this. :)

I have to credit the FOX 9:00 Sports. :blush:

TheDoctor
07-25-2007, 04:31 AM
Nice pick up coaching staff! ;)

sambini
07-25-2007, 05:46 AM
Nice start to the season++++

Bison_Pride
07-25-2007, 07:42 AM
His coach said he is the best receiver he has ever coached. Big and strong

tony
07-25-2007, 01:20 PM
It sure is nice to get that first commitment out of the way. The earliest one I remember before this was when Roehl and Wurzbacher committed right after the Montana win in mid-September back in 2003.

Note: I tried to merge two threads about this commitment. Hopefully I didn't screw anything up.

Bison bison
07-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Same coach as Travis White.....

man did he have an awesome last game as a Bison.

Can't wait to see Hakeem take the field in the yellow and gold. Appears to be a true talent (he's superior intelligence is demonstrated by his choice of school).

Mr_Meanor
07-25-2007, 02:26 PM
I have heard that he might have some issues with academics....hopefully the coaches have looked into that and feel he can make the grades up here

lakesbison
07-25-2007, 03:49 PM
Kennedy is a tough school academically!!

thats VERY hard to believe, but I'll bite.

tcbison
07-25-2007, 04:10 PM
I have heard that he might have some issues with academics....hopefully the coaches have looked into that and feel he can make the grades up here

Any word on his injured hip? The Forum said: Bourne-McFarland caught 67 passes for 803 yards as a junior. He played in only eight games because of a hip injury.

I like his stats, over 8 catches/game and 100 yards/game.

tony
07-25-2007, 04:12 PM
He ran track this spring so I think the hip is OK.

SDbison
07-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Can you provide more details without having to name your source? Do you know a coach, administrator, teacher or classmate of Hakeem's that would provide reliable information?

Mr_Meanor
07-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Can you provide more details without having to name your source? Do you know a coach, administrator, teacher or classmate of Hakeem's that would provide reliable information?

I will just say that I have a relative that teachers in the Bloomington area and that person has heard rumors that he is struggleing academically. From what I was told he was a pretty good student and his grades slipped all of a sudden. But I also was told that he was working really hard with teachers to get the grades back up. Take it for what its worth.

imabison
07-25-2007, 05:40 PM
WDAY reported this the other night, and Kolpack says he will be in Fargo on the 29th. During the report Josh Campion, who is the brother of Pete Campion, said that Pete has helped him so much with his career. He attended the Gopher Football camp and thats how they found out about him. WDAY said that should NDSU make an offer he would seriously consider NDSU over the Gophers.

http://www.twincities.com/walters/ci_6181525

The Gophers have offered football tenders to three incoming high school juniors - Ra'Shede Hageman, a 6-foot-6, 235-pound tight end/defensive end from Minneapolis Washburn; Josh Campion, a 6-4, 260-pounder from Fergus Falls, and wide receiver/defensive back Fritz Rock of Wayzata. They would be college freshmen in 2009.

Bison bison
07-25-2007, 06:11 PM
I wish all recruits the best of luck in their decision.

[must be a heck ova a lot more difficult to pick a university/football program than just a university....]

Tatanka
07-25-2007, 07:09 PM
WDAY reported this the other night, and Kolpack says he will be in Fargo on the 29th. During the report Josh Campion, who is the brother of Pete Campion, said that Pete has helped him so much with his career. He attended the Gopher Football camp and thats how they found out about him. WDAY said that should NDSU make an offer he would seriously consider NDSU over the Gophers.

Do NOT rule this out... :innocent: :nod:

onbison09
07-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Good to get the jump on recruiting early. I'm a little dissapointing in Coach Bohl he didn't recruit a 13 year old like Tim Floyd at USC. Just kidding. My goodness the recruiting obsession has started already. Sounds like a big kid, hopefully he's as good as White was in the Dakota Marker game.

Bisonguy
07-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Hallstrom has some comments about Hakeem over on the Bisonzone blog- http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=10877

Top ten MN senior on rivals.com, and the top seven have all verballed to Big 10 teams...

Dum Diddy
07-26-2007, 03:38 AM
I'm curious to find out "how good" Brewster is as recruiter... If Campion picks the Bison over Minnesota, then something tells me he's not a super star recruiter... I had a chance to watch the new Bison's verbal Hakeem play last year (against my brother at Lakeville South)... He didn't stand out, but mostly because he had no help around him... I'm looking forward to seeing how he performs in his senior season with the verbal behind him... But don't you think if a bigger school comes calling to play receiver, he might change his mind? I'm always a little skeptical of kids who commit this early...

SirHinn
07-26-2007, 06:55 AM
I'm curious to find out "how good" Brewster is as recruiter... If Campion picks the Bison over Minnesota, then something tells me he's not a super star recruiter... I had a chance to watch the new Bison's verbal Hakeem play last year (against my brother at Lakeville South)... He didn't stand out, but mostly because he had no help around him... I'm looking forward to seeing how he performs in his senior season with the verbal behind him... But don't you think if a bigger school comes calling to play receiver, he might change his mind? I'm always a little skeptical of kids who commit this early...

Part of you has to wonder though if Craig Bohl is actually the superstar recruiter. It's certainly way too early to judge on Brewster but some of the players Bohl has gotten to come to NDSU and play no doubt could be solid players on Big Ten teams without question. How players like Mr. Walker, Drago, Humber, Joe Mays, Nate Safe, and so forth slipped through the cracks I have no idea. You have to give Craig Bohl credit though when credit is due because that man is a heck of recruiter.

TransAmBison
07-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Part of you has to wonder though if Craig Bohl is actually the superstar recruiter. It's certainly way too early to judge on Brewster but some of the players Bohl has gotten to come to NDSU and play no doubt could be solid players on Big Ten teams without question. How players like Mr. Walker, Drago, Humber, Joe Mays, Nate Safe, and so forth slipped through the cracks I have no idea. You have to give Craig Bohl credit though when credit is due because that man is a heck of recruiter.
I've got a good source who said all the BCS schools signed an agreement to not offer Joe Mays a scholarship so nobody would have to play against him. He hits too hard. They didn't want so many medical hardships handed out.

roadwarrior
07-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Walker, Drago, Mays, Safe, Majeski and the other 5th year seniors were recruited by Babich, and signed with the Bison before Bohl was hired.

Bison Dan
07-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Walker, Drago, Mays, Safe, Majeski and the other 5th year seniors were recruited by Babich, and signed with the Bison before Bohl was hired.

Coach Babich had a hell of a recruiting year that year.

tony
07-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Coach Babich had a hell of a recruiting year that year.

Amen to that.

ChamplinParkBison
07-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Since recruiting is not an exact sience there are many players that get over-looked by the bigger schools who tend to be biased towards the top 250 or so standout athletes (i.e. OSU, USC, Texas etc...) Which is great for the smaller schools, when we can find the so-called diamonds in the rough. I really don't know much about Hakeem, but with his size and being put into the right offesense there is no reason why he can't come in and make an impact in the passing game.. I heard a rumor that Iowa St. was interested and were waiting to see how his senior year played out, before they offered. It's nice to see the coaching staff getting the early commiment, hope to see a few more in the next couple of weeks...

Goldy93
07-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Congrats on Hakeem. He should work out well for NDSU and he sounds like a good kid. He could develop into a very good player. The biggest knock on Hakeem is his speed/quickness. He was too slow at the football camp held back in June (at UofM) and was clearly out classed by receivers such as Michael Floyd, Brandon Green and Bryce McNeal (2009 class) and could not get separation in one-on-one drills. His receiving skills are not in question, but his speed/athleticism are. Good luck to Hakeem and I hope he does well!

Bison Dan
07-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Just wait until the MN game with 15-20 thousand BISON FANS at the MetroDome and Hakeem on the sidelines with the team. He'll be sold for sure and proud to be a Bison.

NDSUstudent
07-27-2007, 04:29 AM
This sounds like another good get by Coach Bohl. Of course now that the first recruit has verballed I am really dying for some football. I don't know if I can make it all the way til the SHSU game(sisters wedding the day of the SFA game).

nelly
07-29-2007, 06:55 PM
The kid who is being recruited by NDSU is named Hakeem Bourne-McFarlane not McFarland. He has passed his ACT already and his grades are not bad like have been reported on here.....I know a person who is very involved in the program at Bloomington Kennedy and he will be eligible right away. He will have a chance to be a starter from day one when he gets there....he is that talented.

SDbison
07-29-2007, 08:30 PM
This sounds like another good get by Coach Bohl. Of course now that the first recruit has verballed I am really dying for some football. I don't know if I can make it all the way til the SHSU game(sisters wedding the day of the SFA game).
Well, at least your sister didn't arrange for her wedding on the same day as the Gopher game. I would gladly give up a home game for a chance to be at the Gopher game. As you might know my daughters wedding is on October 20th. :ranting:
At this point I too can't wait for the start of the season. :hungry:
Tailgating with friends, beer, grilled food, more beer, more food, jagbombs, more beer, then Bison football. Doesn't get any better than that! :nod:
Just watched the entire 2006 Gopher - Bison game last night. Must be the 10th time I watched that game, but it still seems like the first time. Things have really started to slow down since I am now thinking football every waking hour. :banghead:

BisonNeil
07-29-2007, 09:24 PM
I've got a good source who said all the BCS schools signed an agreement to not offer Joe Mays a scholarship so nobody would have to play against him. He hits too hard. They didn't want so many medical hardships handed out.

Okay, I'll bite. That's BS about BCS teams signing an agreement to not offer an athlete a scholarship.

Where do some of you get this crap...

X-Factor
07-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Okay, I'll bite. That's BS about BCS teams signing an agreement to not offer an athlete a scholarship.

hehe, I think you need to take a look at http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9920 for an explanation, all is well in Bisonville! I have a sneaking suspicion that TransAm was merely joking. :)

TransAmBison
07-30-2007, 12:14 AM

I have sources!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOURCES!!! They all signed an agreement!! They all met in the bathroom of the Loaf n Jug in Grand Forks. All the BCS presidents, athletic directors and coaches. In one bathroom. They signed the deal in their own blood.

:rofl: :rofl:

*I can't believe somebody took me seriously. That's awesome.

Tatanka
07-30-2007, 01:16 AM
I have sources!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOURCES!!! They all signed an agreement!! They all met in the bathroom of the Loaf n Jug in Grand Forks. All the BCS presidents, athletic directors and coaches. In one bathroom. They signed the deal in their own blood.

*I can't believe somebody took me seriously. That's awesome.
Yes, well done, TransAm! Looks like you snagged on on the ol' unbaited hook.

roadwarrior
07-30-2007, 02:15 AM
Are you sure the deal wasnt made in Hillsboro?

X-Factor
07-30-2007, 02:47 AM
I heard UND invited them all to the Red Pepper for a grinder and they ran out of taco meat. Brewster then proceeded to steal the Coke sign out front and to this day requires his team to do 50 pushups with it strapped to their back anytime someone mentions the name Joe Mays.

sambini
07-30-2007, 06:43 AM

*I can't believe somebody took me seriously. That's awesome. Well done TransAM+++

TransAmBison
07-30-2007, 11:48 AM
I heard UND invited them all to the Red Pepper for a grinder and they ran out of taco meat. Brewster then proceeded to steal the Coke sign out front and to this day requires his team to do 50 pushups with it strapped to their back anytime someone mentions the name Joe Mays.
I have heard these rumblings as well. I had yet to confirm that source yet! :D

TransAmBison
07-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Are you sure the deal wasnt made in Hillsboro?
I believe that bathroom was already booked. It was a secret meeting so I could not tell you the parties involved. :confused:

tcbison
07-30-2007, 03:15 PM
The kid who is being recruited by NDSU is named Hakeem Bourne-McFarlane not McFarland. He has passed his ACT already and his grades are not bad like have been reported on here.....I know a person who is very involved in the program at Bloomington Kennedy and he will be eligible right away. He will have a chance to be a starter from day one when he gets there....he is that talented.

Thanks for the correct spelling! It sure opens up a lot more results on a Google search. :)

sambini
07-31-2007, 04:05 AM
I would like to commend the staff on great job in bringing these young men to visit NDSU. ++++

NDSUFREAK
08-04-2007, 03:28 AM
Two new commitments!!

A LB from Sioux Falls and a DT from Roseville, MN. Can't remember the names right now but will come back with more info on it!

Bisonguy
08-04-2007, 03:43 AM
Two new commitments!!

A LB from Sioux Falls and a DT from Roseville, MN. Can't remember the names right now but will come back with more info on it!

Source???????

NDSUFREAK
08-04-2007, 03:47 AM
Source???????
WDAY Sports at 10

NDSUFREAK
08-04-2007, 03:49 AM
Preston Evans, Sioux Falls, SD, LB, 5'11, 215lbs

Dan Offerman, Roseville, MN, DT, 6'3, 265lbs

Bisonguy
08-04-2007, 03:51 AM
Wow.

Three verbals over a month before the start of the season.

Wow.

NDSUFREAK
08-04-2007, 03:54 AM
Wow.

Three verbals over a month before the start of the season.

Wow.
tell me about it. this is nuts and awesome!!

Bisonguy
08-04-2007, 04:08 AM
What if everyone verbals before the end of this season?:confused:

What will we talk about after the season and before signing day? :eeek:

Cripes, there's already a minimum of eight games on the schedule for next year, possibly ten with Montana State and Georgia Southern. What WILL we talk about after the season?

NDSUFREAK
08-04-2007, 04:23 AM
What if everyone verbals before the end of this season?:confused:

What will we talk about after the season and before signing day? :eeek:

Cripes, there's already a minimum of eight games on the schedule for next year, possibly ten with Montana State and Georgia Southern. What WILL we talk about after the season?

probably will be just like AGS this upcoming offseason (except the offseason really isn't until may....:confused: ) ha

Bisonguy
08-04-2007, 04:36 AM
January and February are supposed to be the recruiting talk months. :nod:

March is to talk about the recruits that signd LOI's.

April and May are for whining about why the schedule isn't done yet.

Ten minutes to Wapner. We're definitely locked in this box with no TV.

tcbison
08-04-2007, 04:38 PM
January and February are supposed to be the recruiting talk months. :nod:

March is to talk about the recruits that signd LOI's.

April and May are for whining about why the schedule isn't done yet.

Ten minutes to Wapner. We're definitely locked in this box with no TV.

We can talk about playoffs, the new Gateway conference, and the chance of winning a national championship! :)

Kermit
08-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Preston Evans, Sioux Falls, SD, LB, 5'11, 215lbs

Here's a profile:
http://www.ksfypigskinpreview.com/ptpersevans07.html

NDSUFREAK
08-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Here's a profile:

Preston's reputation precedes him as the hardest hitting linebacker in the state. Evans helped Roosevelt capture their first state championship in 2006. Preston made 6.5 tackles for a loss and forced three fumbles in just 9 games in 2006. He'll be a third year starter for the Riders in 2007.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Think we have a future replacement to Mr. Mays (not that he will be easy to replace)

BisonNeil
08-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Here's a profile:

The profile says 6' 225 lbs, the post said 5'11", 215 lbs. Any idea which it correct?

NDSUFREAK
08-04-2007, 10:10 PM
The profile says 6' 225 lbs, the post said 5'11", 215 lbs. Any idea which it correct?
WDAY had 5'11 so i don't know which to go by

Tatanka
08-05-2007, 01:33 AM
He's going to be a BISON which means he'll play like he's 6' 9" and deliver 635 lbs of whoopass, regardless of his actual size.

NDSUFREAK
08-05-2007, 02:05 AM
He's going to be a BISON which means he'll play like he's 6' 9" and deliver 635 lbs of whoopass, regardless of his actual size.
amen, tank

X-Factor
08-05-2007, 03:28 AM
NDSU = Linebacker U

I thought it was good to see a DT recruit with some good size. If he is really 265 with still a whole year of high school, no doubt he could have at least 35+ lbs of muscle before he ever steps onto the Fargodome turf for gameday. 3 recruits and it's barely August, this is nutz. Do other FCS schools get commits this early?

sambini
08-06-2007, 04:13 AM
If he can make plays and hit who cares how tall he is?