PDA

View Full Version : Top FBS to FCS transfers for 2007

X-Factor
07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/blog.cfm

12. OT Paul Backowski ~ Colorado to North Dakota State (Soph) -- This athletic 6 ' 5", 300 pound tackle from the state of Minnesota has a chance to be a very special player for the Bisons, who have produced some solid N.F.L. prospects on the O-line in recent years.

This guy has already started some games for Colorado as a freshman. Might be someone to watch with the potential to work into a starting spot at RT.

Yo
07-19-2007, 11:04 PM
The obvious question is...why is he transfering?

roadwarrior
07-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Well its obvious, he likes flat land over mountains!

X-Factor
07-20-2007, 01:06 AM
More obvious than that, have ya seen Colorado's football program?! Paul probably sees it as a step up and a legitimate chance to play for a national title without having to sit out a year. lol Maybe someone can dig up the old forum article on this, but I believe this was exactly the reason.

Hammersmith
07-20-2007, 02:20 AM
More obvious than that, have ya seen Colorado's football program?! Paul probably sees it as a step up and a legitimate chance to play for a national title without having to sit out a year. lol Maybe someone can dig up the old forum article on this, but I believe this was exactly the reason.
You do not want to know how hard it was to dig this thing up.

Colorado tackle to transfer to NDSU (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=166167)

Published reports had Backowski considering Minnesota, Indiana and Wyoming out of high school, where he was a first team all-state selection. Vigen said Backowski committed to Indiana not long after NDSU talked to him.

But a coaching change with the Hoosiers sent Backowski looking elsewhere. At Colorado, he went through another coaching change when Gary Barnett was fired and Dan Hawkins was hired.

“That’s why things didn’t meet his expectations,” Vigen said. “He wants to be closer to home and win.”

lakesbison
07-20-2007, 02:05 PM
perles said "STUD"!!! so watch out!

56BISON73
07-20-2007, 07:27 PM
You do not want to know how hard it was to dig this thing up.

Colorado tackle to transfer to NDSU (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=166167)

I can REALLy relate to what that kid is going through. PL

BisonNeil
07-21-2007, 03:04 PM
The obvious question is...why is he transfering?

I was in Denver this week and having a beer at the New Belgium Hub waiting for my plane to Fargo. The guy next to me was reading the Big 12 edition of Althon college football guide. I asked him who his college team was and he said the Buffs.

To make a long conversation about college football short, he told me, and the section on Colorado in the guide supports this, that the Hawk and the strength coach have spent the last year getting rid of athletes who they don't think work hard enough on strength and conditioning. The implication for our transfer from there is obvious.

I am not saying that a poor work ethic is why he came to NDSU, but undoubtedly there is significant culture shock between Barnett and Hawkins, so much so that unless you grew up adoring the Buffaloes, as a player you probably would go shopping for another school. Given that he wouldn't have to sit out another year if he went FCS, NDSU was an obvious choice.

WildBill
07-21-2007, 03:11 PM
The guy is kind of a flake. My nephew played against him in HS

Flintstone
07-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Flake or not, I hope he can come in and compete for a starting spot.

Yo
07-21-2007, 08:11 PM
[quote=BisonNeil;132439]
To make a long conversation about college football short, he told me, and the section on Colorado in the guide supports this, that the Hawk and the strength coach have spent the last year getting rid of athletes who they don't think work hard enough on strength and conditioning. The implication for our transfer from there is obvious.

I am sure our coaches know what they are getting into, our strength & conditioning program is no slouch program. It also takes a big commitment from the student athlete.

Scooter1
07-22-2007, 03:49 AM
I'm glad that this kid decided to come and give NDSU a shot. He must not have been much of a "flake" (as mentioned earlier by a fellow poster- via some rumblings of a nephew or something) since more than one 1A program was willing to offer him a schollie. I tend to take these type of comments with a grain of NaCl. I think that we will be happy with the pick up.

Undeniable football rule--- You can never have enough good offensive linemen.

X-Factor
07-22-2007, 04:31 AM
Undeniable football rule--- You can never have enough good offensive linemen.

So true. Coach Bohl recruits this position every year regardless for a reason. We've seen Bohl bring in solid guys for 4+ years now and the results are in....the NDSU o-Line is DEEP and HUGE. I'm sure Steve Walker and the RB's appreciate this philosophy.

TheDoctor
07-22-2007, 04:52 AM
So true. Coach Bohl recruits this position every year irregardless for a reason. We've seen Bohl bring in solid guys for 4+ years now and the results are in....the NDSU o-Line is DEEP and HUGE. I'm sure Steve Walker and the RB's appreciate this philosophy.

Very true! Ebel and Buckman are HUGE by the way! ;)

sambini
07-22-2007, 05:49 AM
Buckman is the starter at right tackle.

BisonNeil
07-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Buckman is the starter at right tackle.

I thought that when the two deep roster came out after spring practice that Buckman and Ebel were tied, both starters, no clear separation between them? Is my normally flawless memory failing me?

TheDoctor
07-22-2007, 06:38 PM
I heard the same thing. BUT, maybe Sambini's connections have told him the decision was made and Buckman won out. Is that true Sambini? Have your sources divulged secret inside info to you? Did it come out on your trek across ND with Vigen? ;)

X-Factor
07-22-2007, 07:00 PM
when the depth chart was released, Ebel was #1, but those two guys are so close it is really meaningless untill fall camp. maybe Sambini has the inside scoop!

BisonNeil, I don't really trust your information that Backowski has a bad work ethic. If that was so, how did he start for a Big12 football program as a freshman? If he really does have a bad work ethic, he must have some insane talent to be able to do that which I kind of doubt.

Whatever Colorado is doing they are most definitely grasping at straws to find something that works. Being the basement of the Big12 year after year is no fun and If I was one of the few quality athletes that they do have what is there to convince you to stick around?

TheDoctor
07-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Well said X-factor. ;)

BisonNeil
07-22-2007, 11:34 PM
when the depth chart was released, Ebel was #1, but those two guys are so close it is really meaningless untill fall camp. maybe Sambini has the inside scoop!

BisonNeil, I don't really trust your information that Backowski has a bad work ethic. If that was so, how did he start for a Big12 football program as a freshman? If he really does have a bad work ethic, he must have some insane talent to be able to do that which I kind of doubt.

Whatever Colorado is doing they are most definitely grasping at straws to find something that works. Being the basement of the Big12 year after year is no fun and If I was one of the few quality athletes that they do have what is there to convince you to stick around?

He only started one game, due to an injury of the guy in front of him.

And, I didn't say he had a bad work ethic, only that the implication was there. Athlon said in their Big 12 review, in addition to my conversation with a Buff fan, that the coaching staff has publicly said they got rid of players who did not work hard enough on strength and conditioning. I actually said the culture shock change was also a likely reason he left.

There is no question a lot of good players will leave any program after a coaching change and there is no question that coaches like to retain only those players that buy into their program. Paul was a casualty of a coaching change, plain and simple.