PDA

View Full Version : Bohl Show may move to KVLY

WYOBISONMAN
07-18-2007, 11:21 AM
From the Forum.........

The “Craig Bohl Football Show” will probably be seen on another local television station this fall.

The North Dakota State athletic department will begin negotiations with KVLY later this week, according to Troy Goergen......

More here:

Forum
Article (http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/172134)

TransAmBison
07-18-2007, 11:42 AM
That's crazy. The station that is the least pro-Bison is the one that might get the bid? And WDAY not even submitting a bid? What's up with that?

BisBison
07-18-2007, 12:32 PM
I wonder what the bid criteria were? Only one station out of three submit bids? Seems kinda funny doesn't it? I hope they don't forget about us out west. We get the show now, I hope the new station finds a way to broadcast it in our neighborhood.

cbline
07-18-2007, 12:35 PM
This one disappoints me too. Looks like KVLY has the chance to ride some coat tails and pick up Coach Bohl's show as the Bison are becoming an even bigger show in town. KVLY hardly ever gave NDSU stories the time of day before. The lack of a WDAY bid confuses me, and I hope more comes to light to explain that one.

lakesbison
07-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Total BS! wday wouldnt bid cuz they already have radio and OWN the personality rites. . phil h, etc. KVLY bidding is a PR move by thier new owners and it will flop sales\ad wise cuz thier sales team is lazy and wont care bout a sunday nite show. kx4 simulcasts 10pm news sundays of kvly, so will they do the same with bohl show? KVRR owners dont want to do anything ever . . so there u go . . . SAD HUH? KVLY the home of ndsu bohl show = CRAP! !

BisonCountry
07-18-2007, 01:17 PM
This might not be the worst thing for the Bison. If I'm not mistaken, only people in the Fargo/WDAY viewing area can view the show. Hoak Media owns several stations across the state and there may be a chance the show will be seen in Bismarck, Minot, Williston, etc....

badger04
07-18-2007, 01:28 PM
My feeling is that the show would be state -wide and give the Bison the best possible coverage.

NDSUstudent
07-18-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't think this bad at all, nothing wrong with another station stepping up and giving NDSU more coverage. And maybe this will lead to more tv games as well.

badger04
07-18-2007, 02:52 PM
change is good

RedRiver
07-18-2007, 02:56 PM
I agree, this could be a very positive change if the logistics get worked out. I just wonder why WDAY did not submit a bid, what was the reason?

NDSUguy
07-18-2007, 02:58 PM
I agree. This isn't the worst thing in the world. WDAY will continue to pimp NDSU athletics and now KVLY will be forced to give NDSU love. I think that the folks over at KVLY have realized that NDSU = Good Business and they want in on the game. That doesn't really hurt anybody and only give NDSU the best possible exposure. Think of all the KVLY viewers who would never seen NDSU highlights or stories prior.

WYOBISONMAN
07-18-2007, 03:05 PM
I think it may be a good move to increase exposure and TV games for the Bison. Let's see how it goes for a year...........

We were not awash in TV games last year. Maybe this will improve it.

Ivy
07-18-2007, 03:18 PM
I think this is a great thing. I think KVLY is a great news station. I think it's unfair to say they are anti-Bison. They report many of the same stories, especially the big stuff. They do have a larger coverage area including GF and Fargo so of course they need to be less "homer" like compared to a station that has their own sister station (WDAZ) up in Grand Forks. It's just good business sense.
I applaud them for going after the bid. Hopefully they can make the show state-wide. Won't Phil Hansen remain the host?...I thought his affiliation was with NDSU, not WDAY.

TheDoctor
07-18-2007, 03:18 PM
I would love to see WDAY lose the Bohl show. As far as reception and photo quality, 11 is 100% better than 6. ;)

SirHinn
07-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Total BS! wday wouldnt bid cuz they already have radio and OWN the personality rites. . phil h, etc. KVLY bidding is a PR move by thier new owners and it will flop sales\ad wise cuz thier sales team is lazy and wont care bout a sunday nite show. kx4 simulcasts 10pm news sundays of kvly, so will they do the same with bohl show? KVRR owners dont want to do anything ever . . so there u go . . . SAD HUH? KVLY the home of ndsu bohl show = CRAP! !

Actually they don't own Phil's rights. He would continue to host the show when it jumps ship.

No_Skill
07-18-2007, 05:21 PM
This might not be the worst thing for the Bison. If I'm not mistaken, only people in the Fargo/WDAY viewing area can view the show. Hoak Media owns several stations across the state and there may be a chance the show will be seen in Bismarck, Minot, Williston, etc....

In Bismarck the show was aired on Wednesdays. I hope they continue to air it.

Bisonguy
07-18-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm not getting worked up either way until the ink dries.

Remember, NDSU was not supposed to be on WDAY-AM last season.

lakesbison
07-18-2007, 08:41 PM
facts are KVLY and their SPORTS STAFF are NOT NDSU grads, and they go out of their way NOT to show NDSU stuff, thats a fact. theres a thread on here if you want me to revive it.

NDSUguy
07-18-2007, 08:46 PM
facts are KVLY and their SPORTS STAFF are NOT NDSU grads, and they go out of their way NOT to show NDSU stuff, thats a fact. theres a thread on here if you want me to revive it.

It will be tought in my opinion to not show "NDSU stuff" with a weekly show for football and basketball.... That would result in a hell of a lot of dead air.

Greenie
07-18-2007, 08:52 PM
As long as the Bison coaches' shows are broadcast to the most people at the best time...does it really matter what station they are on?????? Especially if that station is then able to get more games televised.

Bisonguy
07-18-2007, 09:04 PM
As long as the Bison coaches' shows are broadcast to the most people at the best time...does it really matter what station they are on?????? Especially if that station is then able to get more games televised.

That is huge.

roadwarrior
07-18-2007, 09:33 PM
I think that it's good that KVLY is starting to show an interest in Bison sports.

BisonNeil
07-18-2007, 09:47 PM
I wonder what the bid criteria were? Only one station out of three submit bids? Seems kinda funny doesn't it? I hope they don't forget about us out west. We get the show now, I hope the new station finds a way to broadcast it in our neighborhood.

I think that WDAY lost interest in the Bohl show because they don't have any creative input, they don't use their guys, they don't get the advertising, they just get paid for air time.

And let's face it, the production quality last year stunk and I think WDAY has more pride than to put poorly produced crap on the air. The coaches shows were very good when old Eddy produced them, still good with Dana et al. But, the current show sucks and given that KVLY sucks, this is probably a marriage made in heaven.

Yo
07-18-2007, 11:06 PM
I have to agree that KVLY is not very pro-Bison but if the show does end up there and the coverage increases that can be nothing but a good thing. My gut feeling is that WDAY will step up at the last minute and keep the show.

Bisonguy
07-18-2007, 11:26 PM
LLLOOONNNNNNGGGG explanation about this on the WDAY 6:00 sports.

Basically, NDSU rejected WDAY TV's proposal for TV rights for 2007-2010, but accepted the radio portion of the bid back in 2006. WDAY chose not to resubmit the bid when NDSU recently asked for TV bids.

Ivy
07-18-2007, 11:27 PM
I was watching KVLY and Charlie Johnson reported that KVLY/KX4 is working on the final deal. The deal would include 2 TV games!

heymch86
07-19-2007, 12:20 AM
I think this is good. This way, WDAY won't have a monopoly on NDSU media coverage. I do think WDAY will seriously regret this decision once we start collecting our National Championships and NCAA Tourney bids in all sports.

87Bisonfan
07-19-2007, 04:13 AM
Visited with a reliable source at President Chapman's "Conversations across the Land" today and it was reported that there will be four TV games this year -- Minn. and SDSU on Fox regionally, and 2 home games on KVLY which will be broadcast state wide on the NBC affiliates. They also hope to have about 10 radio affiliates across the state announced in the near future.

MinotBison
07-19-2007, 04:29 AM
Maybe I missed it somewhere along the line, but what about radio coverage? What stations will be carrying the games this year, or do we know yet?

Last year, (in Minot) I had to sit out in the driveway to try and pick up a station from Williston or Bismarck which didn't always come in. Rather ridiculous, I think.

sambini
07-19-2007, 06:02 AM
Well said Greenie. Whats best for the program is what counts++++

badger04
07-19-2007, 12:16 PM
A little history my friends. Back in the 60's and early 70's the Bison were on Channel 4. Bison and UND game and may be some other games where also on Channel 4. No body else wanted the games. But when Eddie Schultz went to WDAY then everything went to channel 6. It was what Eddie wanted Eddie got. Some people have to understand that we are in different times. The Bison took everything in house with the media (TV Radio). The Bison are will get statewide coverage which it needs. So if KVLY does not coverage EVERYTHING Bison athletics does at least the BISON will get state wide exposure that the SUE will not have. Relax!!!!! It is only a game

tcbison
07-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Visited with a reliable source at President Chapman's "Conversations across the Land" today and it was reported that there will be four TV games this year -- Minn. and SDSU on Fox regionally, and 2 home games on KVLY which will be broadcast state wide on the NBC affiliates. They also hope to have about 10 radio affiliates across the state announced in the near future.

This sounds great. Covering ND is very important. Now how about getting some coverage into Minnesota? Especially the Twin Cities area. I would love it if they could start showing some games at Sensor's or Park Tavern. The place would be packed.

badger04
07-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Maybe, NDSU could put the Bohl show on FSN !! I would watch it

tcbison
07-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Maybe, NDSU could put the Bohl show on FSN !! I would watch it

I love the idea! Now we need to make it happen. LAKES can you help?

Bisonguy
07-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Maybe I missed it somewhere along the line, but what about radio coverage? What stations will be carrying the games this year, or do we know yet?

Last year, (in Minot) I had to sit out in the driveway to try and pick up a station from Williston or Bismarck which didn't always come in. Rather ridiculous, I think.

WDAY-AM has the official contract through 2010. Don't know as far as other affiliates.

TheBisonator
07-20-2007, 02:30 AM

That's AWESOME!!! Four games kicks ass!!! And the Marker game will be on FSN, too!!

I bet the radio ffiliates will be F-M, GF, Bis/Man, Minot, Willison, Jamestown, Dickinson, Devils Lake, and maybe Bemidji and Detroit Lakes, possibly?? Or does anyone think that new superstation that's opening up will carry the games??

TheBisonator
07-20-2007, 02:34 AM
BTW, I'm personally for the coaches show being on KVLY, as opposed to WDAY. As much as people bitch about KVLY/KXJB being "anti-Bison", the fact is that WDAY/Forum Comm. TV has the WORST production out of any station I have ever seen. (alongside WDAZ, which is even worse, if you can believe it) The picture is always grainy, and the voices in the studio and on the scene are always muffled. And that "Livestar" thing they have looks like what the public access cable channel in the western Twin Cities suburbs have. Truth of the matter is that KVLY/Hoak Media has a terrific production quality. I look forward seeing the Craig Bohl Football Show on KVLY with Phil Hansen not talking like he's in a dark cave.

KC_Hats
07-20-2007, 02:59 AM
Now that NDSU owns the rights to Bison athletics they can negotiate with radio and TV stations all over to purchase air time. There is no station with the rights to Bison athletics, NDSU owns them. NDSU can put the games on any station they buy time from.:ranting:

Hammersmith
07-20-2007, 03:41 AM
Now that NDSU owns the rights to Bison athletics they can negotiate with radio and TV stations all over to purchase air time. There is no station with the rights to Bison athletics, NDSU owns them. NDSU can put the games on any station they buy time from.:ranting:
True, but NDSU is committed to buying radio airtime from WDAY for the next three years. I wonder if there's some sort of non-compete clause included in that contract to prevent NDSU from selling FB or BB games to any radio station in the Fargo area(or anywhere that a ForumComm radio station covers).

87Bisonfan
07-20-2007, 04:50 AM
Question on how the radio affiliate thing works -- does NDSU pay these radio affiliates for the right to broadcast on their channel or do the local radio affiliates pay NDSU for being able to broadcast the games? Are the local radio affiliates responsible for finding sponsors and advertisers for the games or does NDSU media cover all the sponsors/ads for the game breaks?

Honest questions since I don't know much of how the whole media/affiliate thing works.

lakesbison
07-20-2007, 04:58 AM
Lakes Is On Da Fsn Trail. . . . how bout FIVE games on tv! ! thats what im hearing. . plus radio with 9 stations in minny, 5 in nodak. . . WOW! GOBISON! !

Hammersmith
07-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Question on how the radio affiliate thing works -- does NDSU pay these radio affiliates for the right to broadcast on their channel or do the local radio affiliates pay NDSU for being able to broadcast the games? Are the local radio affiliates responsible for finding sponsors and advertisers for the games or does NDSU media cover all the sponsors/ads for the game breaks?

Honest questions since I don't know much of how the whole media/affiliate thing works.
You've described both the old way and the new way at NDSU. Prior to this coming season, a radio station(WDAY for many years) would buy the rights from NDSU to air Bison FB and BB games. The radio station would then have the responsibility to both produce the games as well as sell enough advertising to make a profit on the deal. Starting this season, NDSU has decided to move to a more DI-style deal and do all the production and advertising in-house. NDSU will pay WDAY to use their talent(Scotty Miller, Steve Hallstrom, etc.) and (possibly)some of their equipment. NDSU will then pay WDAY for blocks of airtime to air the games. NDSU will pay for all of this(hopefully) by selling advertising to area businesses just like WDAY used to do. Also, up till this year the TV and radio contracts were combined. Currently, WDAY and NDSU have a three year deal in place for radio but no TV contract exists; that's what these negotiations with KVLY are for. Without knowing the specifics of the current radio deal, it's hard to say what will happen with western ND radio coverage. I don't know if some sort of non-compete clause was worked into the deal. It's possible that NDSU cannot buy airtime on any station that overlaps a ForumComm station. It's also possible that NDSU can buy airtime anyplace they want. Personally, I suspect a combo approach: WDAY alone will air the games in the eastern half/third of the state, while NDSU will make seperate agreements with individual stations in both western ND and northwestern MN. That's only a guess, though.

87Bisonfan
07-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the info. So if I understand this correctly, NDSU could go to a small local radio station and pay them some $$ to use their signal and broadcast the games. The local radio station would have no responsibility to sell advertising, it is just a matter if the $$ NDSU offers is adequate for the amount of time being used.

I have heard that NDSU was not able to contract some preferred radio stations in western ND due to a contract the stations have with another school and are unable to get out of. It has left NDSU scrambling in a few locations to get radio coverage.

Herd
07-20-2007, 10:21 PM

That is awesome, my vote for statewide TV games would be C. Mich, Ill. State, Sam Houston, UC Davis . . . in that order. So my top 2 being C. Mich and Ill St.

BisBison
07-21-2007, 02:57 AM
That is awesome, my vote for statewide TV games would be C. Mich, Ill. State, Sam Houston, UC Davis . . . in that order. So my top 2 being C. Mich and Ill St.

those would be my top two as well:hungry:

NDSUstudent
07-24-2007, 03:19 AM

My Tv Line-up.....

Cal Poly
CMU
SHSU

87Bisonfan
07-24-2007, 02:37 PM
I think one of the televised home games will be the home opener with Stephen F. Austin. Not sure what the other home game will be.

Tatanka
07-24-2007, 03:09 PM
I think one of the televised home games will be the home opener with Stephen F. Austin. Not sure what the other home game will be.
Well, not the best for a fan that can't make all the road games in person, but certainly the best from a marketing perspective for NDSU. There will be a big loud crowd--people watching from their living rooms will want to be part of the action, which should help attendance figures later in the season. Also putting the Bison on TV right away in the fall establishes them (further) as the team to watch.

SDbison
07-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Remember, not all NDSU fans live in ND. Many live in the bordering states. Also, for NDSU to continually worry about broadcasting only to ND seems so DII. How about working out a deal to expand coverage to the Midwest region so existing and new fans can enjoy the tradition of Bison football. What really sucks is UND gets better Midwest coverage than NDSU with the TV deals they have. Who at NDSU is in charge of promoting NDSU as an exciting FCS team that should get a few games for football and a few games for basketball on FSN North each year? That would be much more appropriate for a DI team like NDSU.

lakesbison
07-24-2007, 05:58 PM
I HAVE TALKED WITH FSN. NDSU has talked with FSN.

See my FSN thread under football.
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=132766#post132766

Swat_Team10
07-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Lakes...I agree...some anyways.

I would think the Bison should be looking to expand their exposure more EAST into MN with Radio and TV. From a buisness stand point....more population, more pockets to dig into. I agree they should go west too, BUT they are working way to hard if what I am reading is right. I do not know what population of our alums and current students are from MN. But it appears to be some great "TALK" made in MN (Not just the MPLS area) about Bison Athletics after the big Basketball wins, and more or less beating the gophers in football.

Swat_Team10
07-24-2007, 08:01 PM
oops...i agree with SDposter before lakes. FSN is where they need to be.

87Bisonfan
07-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Lakes...I agree...some anyways.

I would think the Bison should be looking to expand their exposure more EAST into MN with Radio and TV. From a buisness stand point....more population, more pockets to dig into. I agree they should go west too, BUT they are working way to hard if what I am reading is right. I do not know what population of our alums and current students are from MN. But it appears to be some great "TALK" made in MN (Not just the MPLS area) about Bison Athletics after the big Basketball wins, and more or less beating the gophers in football.

The Director of Admissions told me that the last freshman class at NDSU had more students from MN than from ND. Based on that stat., it would be smart marketing to promote NDSU athletics east into MN also.

Hammersmith
07-25-2007, 03:21 AM
The Director of Admissions told me that the last freshman class at NDSU had more students from MN than from ND. Based on that stat., it would be smart marketing to promote NDSU athletics east into MN also.
This fall should be the first year that students from ND do not make up the majority of NDSU's total enrollment. Last year they made up 52%(6,399 of 12,258).

sambini
07-25-2007, 05:47 AM
my oh my I am looking forward to the Craig Bohl Football Show.

aces1180
07-27-2007, 01:14 AM
McFeely has some good points about the possible change of television stations.

http://www.areavoices.com/mcfeely/?blog=10929

I think I would have to set my DVR to record the show at 10:30 am Sunday mornings.

I like to sleep off my Saturday night escapades, er, I mean go to church.

heymch86
07-27-2007, 01:33 AM
Wow, I actually agree with McFeely. Phil Hansen at first, did not like hosting the show at all, then it grew on him. I can't imagine him, being put on the spot every Sunday morning LIVE, will make him love the job. Coach Bohl too, is going to like being on live television at 10:30 am, the morning after a game? The show should be at 10:30 pm on Sunday nights or Monday or Tuesday nights at 6:30 pm.

A lot of casual fans will not be tuning in/waking up/staying home from church, to watch the Craig Bohl Show on Sunday mornings

99Bison
07-27-2007, 02:29 AM
Wow, I actually agree with McFeely. Phil Hansen at first, did not like hosting the show at all, then it grew on him. I can't imagine him, being put on the spot every Sunday morning LIVE, will make him love the job. Coach Bohl too, is going to like being on live television at 10:30 am, the morning after a game? The show should be at 10:30 pm on Sunday nights or Monday or Tuesday nights at 6:30 pm.

A lot of casual fans will not be tuning in/waking up/staying home from church, to watch the Craig Bohl Show on Sunday mornings

Why not both 10:30 am and 10:30 pm? On KVLY one time and KX4 the next... then FSN whenever they can get it on.

I do understand the NFL part of it, I think I would like that part personally.

The weirdest part to me was kx4...

Greenie
07-27-2007, 03:29 PM
It really makes sense to put it right before the NFL pregame show on CBS, if they would also rerun it after the late news on CBS...or on NBC after Sunday Night Football and the news.

I'm not quite sure about the "live" format...I would stick with the taped version.

RedRiver
07-27-2007, 03:44 PM
It really makes sense to put it right before the NFL pregame show on CBS, if they would also rerun it after the late news on CBS...or on NBC after Sunday Night Football and the news.

I'm not quite sure about the "live" format...I would stick with the taped version.

Yes, football fans would like to show before the NFL pregame stuff, but not the causal sports fans. Sunday morning at 10:30 is a very bad time for a Majority of interested viewers. You don't wan't to lose viewers because conflicts with church and family activities.

If the show is live at that time, then there must be a rerun during some evening time slot.

SDbison
07-27-2007, 03:59 PM

Why not make the taped shows available at no cost to fans from out of town. The All Access shows are a joke. Many people who try to view them have problems with the video playback. My guess is only those with high speed cable modems get OK video. I have ADSL and have issues with All Access that I have not been able to resolve. No problems viewing content from YouTube, music video sites, and other on line sources.
My point is, why doesn't NDSU start pumping out all sorts of stuff to make NDSU well known in the region, not just to people in Fargo and ND? How come NDSU, WDAY or whoever doesn't produce a half hour preseason show like Sam Houston did? I know things are supposed to be getting better, but all I see is changes in ownership of media. Time for NDSU to leave the DII mindset behind and start marketing like a big time school. Trying to bring in a few thousand dollars charging for access to view content is narrow minded. Time to start thinking outside the box........

roadwarrior
07-27-2007, 04:18 PM
All of the reasons you outlined SDBison, are why the NDSU athletic department recently hired Jeremy Jorgenson.

sambini
07-30-2007, 07:00 AM
And he will get it done+++

Ivy
08-03-2007, 04:50 PM
And he will get it done+++

KVLY had some nice coverage of the new TV deal they made with the Bison and lead off with the story at 6:00 pm last night. I could tell Scott Peters (and the rest of the news staff) is pumped about the news. They were talking it up on the last section of the 10 pm news. I think they are more pro-Bison than people think -- they just do a great job of not being homers.
I did watch the WDAY sports, too, and they didn't even mention that there would be two televison games on KVLY. I know they are competitors, but they did mention the FSN game and really made a big deal that they are the flagship station for radio.