PDA

View Full Version : Your Insider Tips To Fargo

tony
07-17-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm back in Fargo for a couple days. This has got me thinking we should create a sticky post with tips for visitors. So I'm looking for input here.

Example:

Candlewood Suites - excellent place to stay at for NDSU games. Not only can you walk 100 yards and be in the tailgating lot, but the rooms are reasonable (about $90) and have a kitchenette with a full size refrigerator. They have broadband internet but hotels often have a hard time coming through on that. I got 600+ kpps download speeds which is good enough. It's designed as a extended stay so it really should have everything you need. Apparently, there is even a gas grill on the premises (I haven't tried it out myself).

56BISON73
07-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Micro-tel is 54.00. Free wirelless internet and free long distance calls. Ive stayed at a bunch of them and never had any problems. PL

Yo
07-17-2007, 11:58 PM
I believe that the Candlewood is "run" by students in the NDSU Hotel/Motel Mgmt program. I also believe that when the owner has recuped his original investment he will turn it over to NDSU. I think that the NDSU facility people are in charge of the operational up keep on the building. I might be completely wrong on all of this and if I am I apologize but that is my understanding.

sambini
07-18-2007, 03:53 AM
Russ Maring an NDSU alum was behind the Candlewood project. He has done a lot of great things for the university. Applebees is across 19th ave up there also. Nice to see some more places to eat and have a few BUDWEISER SELECTS.

TheDoctor
07-20-2007, 03:43 AM
I'm back in Fargo for a couple days. This has got me thinking we should create a sticky post with tips for visitors. So I'm looking for input here.

Example:

Candlewood Suites - excellent place to stay at for NDSU games. Not only can you walk 100 yards and be in the tailgating lot, but the rooms are reasonable (about $90) and have a kitchenette with a full size refrigerator. They have broadband internet but hotels often have a hard time coming through on that. I got 600+ kpps download speeds which is good enough. It's designed as a extended stay so it really should have everything you need. Apparently, there is even a gas grill on the premises (I haven't tried it out myself).

Hope to see you at a game someday Tony! ;)

SDbison
07-20-2007, 06:25 PM
There is also a Homewood Suites across 19th Ave to the North of the dome. Right behind the new Applebees. The Homewood is not even a year old and it is much nicer than the Candlewood. I have stayed at both places several times. The Candlewood has no pool and no King beds. The Homewood rooms are much quieter, more spacous, better decorated and the beds are super comfortable. Rates are $89 to $109 per night at the Homewood. Even though I get a discount at the Candlewood (for having a child attending NDSU) I still prefer to stay at the Homewood. The Homewood also has a VOD system (LodgeNet of course, where I work). In addition, there is complimentary breakfast included with sausage, eggs toast, juices, cereals, yogurt, rolls, coffee, etc. I don't think there is even a continental breakfast at the Candlewood.
NOTE: The son of the guy who ran the Varsity Mart in the 70's through the 90's (I know his name, but can't remember right now) is the Manager over at the Homewood.

WYOBISONMAN
07-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Didn't Dick Kasper run the Varsity Mart during those years?

Hammersmith
07-20-2007, 07:53 PM
NOTE: The son of the guy who ran the Varsity Mart in the 70's through the 90's (I know his name, but can't remember right now) is the Manager over at the Homewood.
Tangent here: I ran across info a while ago that the Varsity Mart is changing its name to the NDSU Bookstore once its new pad is finished.

87Bisonfan
07-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Yes, I believe it was Dick Kasper that ran the VM. He was a Butte, ND native. Didn't he pass away a couple of years ago?

I stayed at the Homewood Suites earlier this summer. Excellent hotel with a great continental breakfast and they even have a evening meal available on ocassion. Made my reservations there for homecoming weekend already. I think they are getting close to full. It is an excellent value.

sambini
07-21-2007, 12:47 AM
Dick Kasper did pass away a few years ago. Always sang the yellow and the green at the HALL OF FAME BANQUET.

TheDoctor
07-21-2007, 01:09 AM
He sang (and very well) at our church. His son Tim is in the Blenders. ;)

gwfan
07-21-2007, 03:31 AM
Dick was a great guy and his wife Sally is a terrific person. I believe one of the other sons is the General Manager of Gem Car in Fargo.

TheDoctor
07-22-2007, 04:57 AM
AND son Patrick was the afternoon DJ on Lite Rock 105 until recently when he moved to Vegas. ;)

sambini
07-22-2007, 05:29 AM
Caspers were friend of my in-laws also. Dick was an avid model railroad collector.

cabis
07-26-2007, 07:01 PM
There is also a Homewood Suites across 19th Ave to the North of the dome. Right behind the new Applebees. The Homewood is not even a year old and it is much nicer than the Candlewood. I have stayed at both places several times. The Candlewood has no pool and no King beds. The Homewood rooms are much quieter, more spacous, better decorated and the beds are super comfortable. Rates are $89 to $109 per night at the Homewood. Even though I get a discount at the Candlewood (for having a child attending NDSU) I still prefer to stay at the Homewood. The Homewood also has a VOD system (LodgeNet of course, where I work). In addition, there is complimentary breakfast included with sausage, eggs toast, juices, cereals, yogurt, rolls, coffee, etc. I don't think there is even a continental breakfast at the Candlewood.
Agree completely. The two properties are very similar regarding price, location, kitchens etc but the Homewood has all the added features SDBison mentioned. The full hot beakfast does it for me!