PDA

View Full Version : 3 final candidates

lakesbison
06-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Iowa CC coach
Phoenix CC
Bowling Green.

what I hear is ..... Pheonix coach in the lead!! would be better choice for recruiting purposes!!!

roadwarrior
06-23-2007, 02:06 AM
Are those your 3?

lakesbison
06-23-2007, 03:18 AM
I Got The Info This Afternoon, Was On Tv At 6.9pm

sambini
06-23-2007, 03:29 AM
Lakes your the man+++++ Saw it on FOX SPORTS also+++

Bisonguy
06-23-2007, 03:30 AM
Interviews for the three finalists on Monday and Tuesday.

lakesbison
06-23-2007, 03:58 AM
do you guys agree with me that the Phoenix CC guy deserves it?

I mean, that phoenix CC school is a jumping board to Arizona State, USC, UCLA and many other schools in the southwest.

If this guy could have some recruiting inroads at that CC, area, that HAS to be an asset for NDSU.

Now, getting a kid from California to come to Fargo and play baseball in APRIL? well, thats a diff story.

Iowa CC is a solid midwest CC baseball school, but nothing that really impresses me to the point of "HIRE HIM"

Bowling Green Asst? 22-32 team vs a bunch of no name teams? hmm sorry!

bisonpride2k
06-23-2007, 05:34 AM
Mike Rooney-

http://www.pc.maricopa.edu/athletic.php?page=5&mod=staff&staffID=2381

Looks rather impressive!

bisonpride2k
06-23-2007, 05:56 AM

I mean, that phoenix CC school is a jumping board to Arizona State, USC, UCLA and many other schools in the southwest.

If this guy could have some recruiting inroads at that CC, area, that HAS to be an asset for NDSU.

Now, getting a kid from California to come to Fargo and play baseball in APRIL? well, thats a diff story.

Iowa CC is a solid midwest CC baseball school, but nothing that really impresses me to the point of "HIRE HIM"

Agree entirely! His 6 years at ASU helping begin their resurgance is impressive. Including a trip to Omaha in '05. As far as California kids, look at the roster the past few years, and at softballs roster. They dont mind going to a change of climate and it is a chance to experience a different part of the country. He can find the Arizona baseball player that is getting passed over by the big schools and the draft but is without a doubt a DI player. There are lots of them out there just need to have the right connections you can trust for evaluation.

Rima, not bad. But NIAC is ICCAC DII not NCAA DI and Northern Iowa is not that impressive as they have been pretty much middle to bottom of the Valley. They have been fortuante in the recruiting battle that they have been an established DI as Hille probably would have gone to NDSU out of high school as would have Aaron Jenkins their top LHP from Champlin Park.
http://www.niacc.edu/athletics/baseball/2006coachingstaff.html

Brown. Probably second on the list behind Rooney. Has some interesting things in his bio. But not as impressive as Rooney.
http://bgsufalcons.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/brown_tod00.html

sambini
06-23-2007, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the links on the candidates. I like Rooney of the 3++++

sambini
06-26-2007, 03:19 AM
Anyone know who is on the search committee?

SDbison
06-26-2007, 04:14 AM

Good call Lakes! Any many on this board think you are always full of B.S. Thanks for the info and your observations / opinions. You are truly a Bison fan. Maybe too vocal for some, but I do like your enthusiam.......

lakesbison
06-26-2007, 05:04 AM
sambini
Bisonville Hall of Fame Join Date: Jun 2004

Re: 3 final candidates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know who is on the search committee?

PLEASE GOD NOT LYNN DORN!!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Lynn: So, If you would get the job at NDSU, would you mind if we cut your budget down to 3 scholorships, cut the spring break trip by 5 days and require your players mother's to do their laundry??

Coach: ah, ISN"T THIS SUPPOSED TO BE DIVISION 1 ??

Lynn: well, I just cant have the BASEBALL team have more resources than my precious girls softball team.

Coach: Baseball, 4000 seat amazing stadium, World Series Revenue via conference.. HELLO!!!

Bisonguy
06-27-2007, 02:30 AM
Why hasn't Lakes posted this already?

Rima interviewed on campus today, Rooney was on campus yesterday. Brown will interview on campus sometime next week. All this on FOX SPORTS @9!!!!!

sambini
06-27-2007, 02:49 AM
Lakes I also like the Arizona coach+++

lakesbison
06-27-2007, 03:26 AM
I was out fishing !!!! DAM I CANT BE EVERYWHERE!!!

sambini
06-27-2007, 04:14 AM
Take the laptop with you Lakes+++

TheDoctor
06-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Wheres Lakes "scoop" Bison when you need him? Fishing?They don't call him Lakes for nothing! ;)

sambini
06-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Did you get any walleyes Lakes?

lakesbison
07-02-2007, 02:18 AM
4 Eyes on Ottertail, thank you very much. i wish I knew how to add pics on here!!! cant we get a "browse" button?

Greenie
07-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Head Baseball Coach is no longer posted under Employment on the gobison website. Announcement should be coming soon...

FYI: All 3 finalists are still listed on their former teams' websites -- so unfortunately no leeds there

sambini
07-03-2007, 02:19 AM
I think Gene is going on vacation. So it must be decided?

lakesbison
07-03-2007, 03:35 AM
actually I think Gene is holding off the decision til next week, thats what I WAS TOLD..

89rabbit
07-03-2007, 11:21 PM
http://www.thesummitleague.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3900&ATCLID=1064673

North Dakota State Names Tod Brown Head Baseball Coach

FARGO, N.D. -- Bowling Green assistant Tod Brown has been named head baseball coach at North Dakota State. That announcement came today from NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor.

"We’re extremely excited Tod has accepted this opportunity," Taylor said. "We had outstanding candidates to choose from and Tod rose to the top. We were pleased with the resumes we received, and we were very impressed with those we spoke to personally."

Brown, the pitching coach and recruiting coordinator for the past eight seasons at Bowling Green, replaces Mitch McLeod, who resigned in May. He will inherit a team that was 16-31 as a Division I independent last year and will begin play in The Summit League next spring.

"We look forward to Tod taking our baseball team and preparing them to be potential Summit League champions," Taylor said.

Go State! :D

Bisonguy
07-03-2007, 11:27 PM
89-Thanks for scooping all the Bison fans!!

Just saw this on the WDAY sports.

Ivy
07-04-2007, 12:46 AM
I saw this on GoBison.com (http://www.gobison.com) this afternoon.

Hopefully this guy will be a good fit for the Bison.

sambini
07-04-2007, 04:11 AM
Lakes you were off a week. Welcome Coach Brown to NDSU.

TransAmBison
07-07-2007, 04:13 AM
actually I think Gene is holding off the decision til next week, thats what I WAS TOLD..
Might need to get a new source! :nod:

Bisonguy
07-16-2007, 11:25 PM
From WDAY tonight, Brown will make $52k and have six scholarships to work with.

bisonpride2k
07-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Where did Gene find an extra $32K laying around?!?!?!

I'm sorry but it is absolute BS the program has suffered as long as it has apparently. The coaching staff suffered for so long with VERY VERY little pay, extremely limited budget, yet expected to win like the other fully funded programs and now since Mitch resigned Gene all of a sudden found an extra $30,000 laying around somewhere. What a joke!

Before the 06 season the assistants made a combined $10,000 and McLeod made around $20,000 from baseball and $20,000 from teaching. He was forced by Gene to continue teaching because he would not make it a full time position so he could focus on baseball only and recruiting. Wonder why the program struggled when all your assistants have to do other jobs to even pay the rent as well as your head coach. Not to mention the miniscule $2,000 recruiting budget. Now we see this. What a joke! Absolutely pathetic!

lakesbison
07-17-2007, 03:22 PM
HEAR HEAR!! its a complete joke and a SAD one at that.

NDSU with Newman Stadium and all the talent in Minnesota High School's should EASILY have a good solid program, but with NO MONEY, what the HECK can you do nowadays????

embarassing..

Greenie
07-17-2007, 03:28 PM
2 ways to approach men's sports funding through the transition to DI...
1. Proportionate increases each year for sports across the board
2. Priority -- NDSU has chosen this route. Early emphasis on football and basketball (revenue/marquee sports), then ramp everything else up later in the transition. Not everyone will agree with this method, but this appears to be what is being done. By the end of the transition, adequate funding will be in place for all sports to be successful.

The majority of the women's sports are fully funded (or close to it). NDSU needs to show committment to women's sports to avoid getting in trouble with the Title IX police.

Hammersmith
07-17-2007, 06:38 PM
++

(I've always wanted to do that.)

bisonpride2k
07-18-2007, 04:02 AM
2 ways to approach men's sports funding through the transition to DI...
1. Proportionate increases each year for sports across the board
2. Priority -- NDSU has chosen this route. Early emphasis on football and basketball (revenue/marquee sports), then ramp everything else up later in the transition. Not everyone will agree with this method, but this appears to be what is being done. By the end of the transition, adequate funding will be in place for all sports to be successful.

The majority of the women's sports are fully funded (or close to it). NDSU needs to show committment to women's sports to avoid getting in trouble with the Title IX police.

Greenie-

I have no problem with the thought process of the funding approach. You have to keep the title IX people happy and football and basketball are your bread and butter. No doubt. But what really ticks me off is where did an extra $30K all of a sudden come from? Do they have Lyle laundering some money in off shore accounts besides keeping the towels and uniforms clean in the BSA??? I am kidding of course. But 2 years ago the budget was so tight that not every player even got a brand new pair of cleats for a team discount of $40 a pair and now magically this large amount of cash appears out of thin air and not budgeted at all. 32 player roster-25 new cleats. Couldnt find $300 3 years ago but now we find $30,000. Makes no sense at all! Good luck on convincing Gene to travel to play lesser opponents like his interview stated. It wasnt by choice to play that tough of a schedule but by necesity because of location and guarantee money.

bisonpride2k
07-18-2007, 04:03 AM
++

(I've always wanted to do that.)

About time the public knows what baseball has had to deal with.

Hammersmith
07-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Sorry bp2k, you misunderstand me. I was agreeing with Greenie's explanation. I think the situation has been handled reasonably well by Taylor and the athletic department. I'm sure there have been small missteps from time to time, but the overall plan and method were correct. Think of one of those champagne glass towers; as the top glass overfills, the overflow begins to fill the next level. Well, the funding order at NDSU has been something like: 1. FB/MBB/WBB 2. VB/Soc/SB 3. WR 4. WT&F/WG 5. BB/MT&F/MG*. Now that we're nearing the end of the transition, we've gotten down to improving the funding of the final levels. Does it suck for those sports on the bottom rungs? Sure, and I sympathize, but I don't think it should've been handled differently to any great degree. Why is money available now when it wasn't two years ago? Because two years ago, NDSU was on level 3 or 4; today it's on level 5.

BTW, one guess of where the additional money came from could be MBB. I doubt they're paying Saul as much as they had set aside for Tim for this coming year. I don't have any info to back it up, but I'd bet that Saul is making just a bit less than Tim was before his raise after the UNC-W job offer. Just a thought.

*I don't know the priority list for certain, but this is a good guess.

Bison Dan
07-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Greenie-

I have no problem with the thought process of the funding approach. You have to keep the title IX people happy and football and basketball are your bread and butter. No doubt. But what really ticks me off is where did an extra $30K all of a sudden come from? Do they have Lyle laundering some money in off shore accounts besides keeping the towels and uniforms clean in the BSA??? I am kidding of course. But 2 years ago the budget was so tight that not every player even got a brand new pair of cleats for a team discount of $40 a pair and now magically this large amount of cash appears out of thin air and not budgeted at all. 32 player roster-25 new cleats. Couldnt find $300 3 years ago but now we find $30,000. Makes no sense at all! Good luck on convincing Gene to travel to play lesser opponents like his interview stated. It wasnt by choice to play that tough of a schedule but by necesity because of location and guarantee money.

The money probably came from the fact that fb and mbb are doing great, we have conferences, and only 1 more year left in the transition. I'm sure this takes a lot of pressure off Gene and with increased monies from ticket sales and Teammakers there's more cash to spread around. Look at the coaching hires Gene has made since our move and compare them to what Buning is hiring over at und. His last coaching hire (softball) is only 3 years out of college (Dakota Wesleyan) and has a .370 win record.

Greenie
07-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Excellent posts Hammersmith and Bison Dan...very much agreed

The revenue/success of the most notable sports are helping raise the tide for all boats.

Geez, I also saw that softball hire at UND, how unimpressive is that? They really seem to not care about any sports besides men's hockey, football, and women's basketball.

roadwarrior
07-18-2007, 09:38 PM
I don't think that Gene found an extra $30,000 just laying around somewhere to increase the baseball coach's salary. He was forced into it with the departure of Mitch. With Mitch's combination of teaching and coaching, the state picked up the teaching portion of it. Advertising to replace the head coach as a part time position was out of the question, so Gene obviously upgraded the pay and position to attract quality applicants. Its too bad that certain sports are toward the bottom of the totem pole, but that's the way it is. There is not an unlimited amount of money available as some may think.

bisonpride2k
07-19-2007, 05:16 AM
First... Saul got Tims contract. Yeah, no joke, really.

Second... The budgets for 2007-08 are set in April for the upcomming season. Everyone saying oh its finally baseballs turn, blah blah blah has no merit on what I am talking about at all. What I am talking about is the fact that the budget was set with no pay raise for Mitch nor an option from Gene to turn his position into full time. His budgeted salary for 2008 was alittle over $20,000. All of a sudden in the small budget world of baseball where every nickel and dime is fought for there all of a sudden arises $30,000. Now am I the only one seeing a double standard in all of this??? Who's budget got cut back??? When time got his and his assistants pay raise baseball lost 10K and softball 20K from their already approved budgets.

As far as talking about the gradual increase I made that point and that baseball hasnt been screaming for equality. But in the grand scheme of budgeting isnt an extra $250 to give every player a new pair of cleats kind of important instead of making them wear the same ones from the year before. Meanwhile basketball gets 3 pairs + at the time. Being the budget is zero based, in a way that extra amount is already budgeted for because of the need to budget high to make sure you are under. But to no avail to get those extra 6 pair. They were even forced to turn in their cleats and incomming freshman got old cleats someone else wore for fall practice. No lie!

bisonpride2k
07-19-2007, 05:19 AM
Excellent posts Hammersmith and Bison Dan...very much agreed

The revenue/success of the most notable sports are helping raise the tide for all boats.

Geez, I also saw that softball hire at UND, how unimpressive is that? They really seem to not care about any sports besides men's hockey, football, and women's basketball.

The softball coach they hired had won 26 or so games in three seasons there. The school had won a combined 5 games in the previous 5 years before she arived. Rather considerable turnaround when your budget is pretty much zero at a school that size.

Bison Dan
07-19-2007, 12:02 PM
The softball coach they hired had won 26 or so games in three seasons there. The school had won a combined 5 games in the previous 5 years before she arived. Rather considerable turnaround when your budget is pretty much zero at a school that size.

So what! She's not DI material IMO.

bisonpride2k
07-20-2007, 02:48 PM
So what! She's not DI material IMO.

I agree she may not be DI calibur yet. But we have no idea who even applied to sit through a 5 year transition with a program that has had no success and really no field to play on that they can call their own. I was just stating info that I am sure many did not see. Considering everything, that is a pretty good job of starting to turn the other program around. Without a stop at a DII though already is probably a reach.