PDA

View Full Version : Lennon to Mt. St.?

extremerouge
06-06-2007, 08:38 PM
from the bison media blog by kolpack, it looks like dale lennon is interviewing for the head coaching gig at montana state...

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

imabison
06-06-2007, 09:01 PM
from the bison media blog by kolpack, it looks like dale lennon is interviewing for the head coaching gig at montana state...

This thread is active in News About Other Schools.

TheDoctor
06-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Which is where it belongs. ;)

CaBisonFan
06-07-2007, 01:32 AM

I don't blame him. Bozeman is one beautiful town. He's also probably wondering where the conference is...the one that Sioux supporters said 'would' be in place before moving up. It ain't easy bein' just green.

NDSU1980
06-09-2007, 11:34 AM
It's being reported on the Bison Media blog that Lennon was offered the position at Montanta St. and will think it over during the weekend. It will be most interesting to see if he pulls the trigger and leaves. My guess is he takes it. I doubt he would have let the process go this far and then turn it down after it's offered.

Gully
06-09-2007, 01:06 PM
It's being reported on the Bison Media blog that Lennon was offered the position at Montanta St. and will think it over during the weekend. It will be most interesting to see if he pulls the trigger and leaves. My guess is he takes it. I doubt he would have let the process go this far and then turn it down after it's offered.

He would be crazy not to take it...not that UND is a terrible job but this would be a nice step up for him. It's not going to be easy sledding for UND as they try to catch up.

IowaBisonToo
06-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Even with the problems Mt St is having after Kramer got the boot, I think for Lennon and his career, it would be unwise to turn this down. Mt St is one of the premier programs in the country at this level. To be able to go in and at the very least keep it where it's been in the past and probably improve the program would be a huge feather in his cap. The only person who truly knows what Lennons career goals are is him. If he ever has plans on continuing up through the ranks of coaching positions to a higher level, this is the next step he has to take, IMHO. Personally, I think he's moving to Bozeman.

KC_Hats
06-09-2007, 03:01 PM
I didn't realize Lennon was already 45 years old. He is 5 years away from playoffs at UND so that would be 50. If he wants to move up even further he can't wait that long. If he takes the Montana State job it is because he is trying to move up and prepare to one day take over at Minnesota or another BCS school.

NDSUguy
06-09-2007, 08:24 PM
I didn't realize Lennon was already 45 years old. He is 5 years away from playoffs at UND so that would be 50. If he wants to move up even further he can't wait that long. If he takes the Montana State job it is because he is trying to move up and prepare to one day take over at Minnesota or another BCS school.

I'm pretty certain that Lennon will never be coach at Minnesota or another bigtime BCS school. That being said... I think that he will probably make the move because he thinks that he has a better chance at winning at Montana State. Being the coach at UND right now isn't exactly a great thing... Transition and unsettled school leadership makes the job very undesireable.

roadwarrior
06-09-2007, 09:06 PM
The rumor is that Lennon turned down the offer. This has been expressed on the bobcat bulletin board.

Gully
06-09-2007, 10:13 PM
The rumor is that Lennon turned down the offer. This has been expressed on the bobcat bulletin board.

WOW. If he stays at UND he will regret it. In coaching sometimes you can stay too long. Things got rough for Rocky after a time and I predict the same for Lennon.

Hammersmith
06-09-2007, 10:34 PM
On top of everything else, Montana State has scheduled a press conference for Monday morning(11am) to announce their new coach. Is Lennon's RB coach wrong about him staying or did MSU move to Ash or Kerr and they accepted? Is there any chance that Lennon is turning this job down in the hopes that he'll be a top candidate for Montana if that job opens up next year? I guess we'll have at least some answers by Monday noon.

tcbison
06-09-2007, 10:35 PM
This is what one person wrote at bobcatnation: Apparently when offered the job Lennon said he was going to think it over the weekend and went back the UND and supposedly told UND he would stay if he got certain things. Not sure what those things were.

In other words, MSU got used so Lennon could bargain for what he wanted. You could say it was a good move for Lennon but for MSU that really sucks. I believe Lennon did this before with Sacramento State as well.

Hammersmith
06-09-2007, 10:44 PM
I wonder if it was personal stuff, like money or a contract extention, if it was professional, like scheduling authority and recruiting and scholarship promises, or whether it was some combination of the two. I suppose we'll never know unless someone blabs more than they already have.

IowaBisonToo
06-09-2007, 10:59 PM
You know, sometimes you live in a place and you really like it. In my current position, I had applied and been offered a position at a company in St Louis. I had also applied for a position about 45 miles away from where I live but had not had an interview at that point. I used my offer somewhat as leverage with the local company and even though I had to interview, was basically told by the R&D Manager that as long as I was a good fit "people-wise", I would probably have a job. The job in St Louis was good but not exactly what I wanted. Low and behold, I was offered a position with the local company just yesterday.

My family and I like where we live. If Lennon enjoys living in GF and can get what he wants financially and authority wise, I guess I don't necessarily blame him. Like I said previously, only Dale and his family know exactly what Dale wants for his career. There are people that are content with where they are in life. The two best examples I can think of like this are Concordia's old coach (Christensen???) and the coach at St Johns (name escapes me at the moment). Nothing wrong with that. It's all about being happy.

Stromer
06-09-2007, 11:16 PM
It was confirmed on the news that he is staying. While it probably will hinder future job opportunities, program loyalty must have won out.

4mcruenomore
06-10-2007, 12:28 AM
Figures, a UND person being a snake. I mean, using MSU to get more money or to whine about whatever, wow. This doesn't surprise me at all.

4mcruenomore
06-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Actually, not going to edit my other post, but going to post again. This is actually good, this way we can hang 50 on a coach who once beat us and thinks he can do it again, thanks for staying.

BraxtonT
06-10-2007, 02:06 AM
Figures, a UND person being a snake. I mean, using MSU to get more money or to whine about whatever, wow. This doesn't surprise me at all.

You're not actually feeling sorry for Montana State, are you? Remember, this is the same school that hosed us out of a home football game. I think it's funny that they got 'used'.

Dale Lennon is the only high profile coach at UND that this Bison fan has a hard time not liking. His tactics were no different than what Tim Miles did last year in regards to the UNC-Wilimington job, are they?

If you were being sarcastic in your previous comments, it was lost on me. I apologize in advance.

KC_Hats
06-10-2007, 03:52 AM
Lennon is probably holding out for the NDSU job when Coach Bohl moves on.:innocent:

I wonder if he tried to get UND to pay him more than Coach Bohl is getting.:confused:

fightinbison
06-10-2007, 04:04 AM
This is what one person wrote at bobcatnation: Apparently when offered the job Lennon said he was going to think it over the weekend and went back the UND and supposedly told UND he would stay if he got certain things. Not sure what those things were.

In other words, MSU got used so Lennon could bargain for what he wanted. You could say it was a good move for Lennon but for MSU that really sucks. I believe Lennon did this before with Sacramento State as well.

Dale will be getting no pay raise, no new promises of a practice facility, no new offices, or contract extensions....

He choose to stay at UND, because his heart is there and it is a special place to him....

Something to remember...Both Sac State and MSU contacted him....!!

He is just a "Class Guy" why is that hard to understand...?

KC_Hats
06-10-2007, 04:29 AM
If he didn't plan on leaving because his heart was with UND why interview? Just trying to get the UND fans excited about UND football again?:bow:

4mcruenomore
06-10-2007, 04:35 AM
Exactly, why interview, why go thru all the hassle.
He completely did it for the money. He used MSU to get more money from his beloved UND. Makes me laugh actually, lol. What a joke
I hope he is still coaching 2 years from now when we play him again.
He didn't exactly "turn" Mary's program around either, like is said in the papers. He barely had a winning record over 2 years, barely.

SirHinn
06-10-2007, 05:53 AM
If he didn't plan on leaving because his heart was with UND why interview? Just trying to get the UND fans excited about UND football again?:bow:

Who's to say he wouldn't get blown away by everyone and his heart would possibly change? I'd say he'd be crazy not to go through the process. It's a common occurrence nowadays sadly for coaches to use other universities as bargaining chips as well though.

tony
06-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Hehe, I didn't want to jinx anything by posting too early. Now I can admit it: I wanted Coach Lennon to stay at UND. I could see two possibilities at Montana State. He could make them more formidable than they are now -or- he could run into problems. I didn't like either scenario.

NDSU's goal is to win as many national championships as possible. I don't think UND poses any serious threat to that goal no matter who their coach is. Seriously, who stands in the way: UND or App State, Montana, Delaware, Youngstown State, etc?

Now, sure, I can see why some folks would want Lennon to leave UND because it would screw UND over a bit and might help NDSU win some recruiting battles.

If you wanted Coach Lennon to leave UND, there is still something positive to take away from this. When I did a sweep of the boards to see what info was out there, I kept reading that Montana State is a "Top 15" or "Top 10" FCS job. If so, what does that make the NDSU job? I gotta say, NDSU's position seems stronger in every way except possibly one (base salary).

semobison
06-10-2007, 12:32 PM
I cant understand the way some of you people think. You always interview for a job and then decide if you want it or not. You LEARN about the position in the interview. Who you will be working with etc... etc...Two out of the final four canidates have now said they dont want the position. Maybe something smells at Bobcat nation. As far as going back to UND and getting a COUNTER offer. That is the American way. Not any different then what Miles did last year. Lennon is a smart guy, and a good football coach.

WYOBISONMAN
06-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Some of those MSU folks are ridiculous thinking Lennon was "unethical" in deciding to stay at UND......Silly as hell.

X-Factor
06-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Hehe, I didn't want to jinx anything by posting too early. Now I can admit it: I wanted Coach Lennon to stay at UND. I could see two possibilities at Montana State. He could make them more formidable than they are now -or- he could run into problems. I didn't like either scenario.

NDSU's goal is to win as many national championships as possible. I don't think UND poses any serious threat to that goal no matter who their coach is. Seriously, who stands in the way: UND or App State, Montana, Delaware, Youngstown State, etc?

Now, sure, I can see why some folks would want Lennon to leave UND because it would screw UND over a bit and might help NDSU win some recruiting battles.

If you wanted Coach Lennon to leave UND, there is still something positive to take away from this. When I did a sweep of the boards to see what info was out there, I kept reading that Montana State is a "Top 15" or "Top 10" FCS job. If so, what does that make the NDSU job? I gotta say, NDSU's position seems stronger in every way except possibly one (base salary).

Craig Bohl makes 134k plus incentives from the last reports. Living in Fargo, ND I would say that's one of the highest paying FCS jobs. In comparison, Montana's coach Bobby Hauck is in the area of 125k + incentives while former MSU coach Kramer was being payed a similar figure. The housing market in Missoula or Bozeman isn't exactly cheap. The top dogs in the gateway are UNI's coach at around 150k and Jerry Kill from SIU at around 165k. I wouldn't think Lennon is making anything close to 134k, but it's gotta be a nice paying job especially for a DII team with probably plenty of room to grow.

sambini
06-10-2007, 03:06 PM
He is very loyal to UND. And thats a reason he is staying in Grand Forks.

fightinbison
06-10-2007, 04:27 PM
He is very loyal to UND. And thats a reason he is staying in Grand Forks.

You are very wise...Sambini

Yo
06-10-2007, 06:41 PM
I understand & respect his loyality. But the bottom line is his team is going no where for the next 5 years.

TheBisonator
06-10-2007, 06:59 PM
I understand & respect his loyality. But the bottom line is his team is going no where for the next 5 years.

I agree 100 percent.

KC_Hats
06-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Who is to say that the only reason the two coaches withdrew was they didn't get offered the job? It saves them face by saying they decided against taking the position when the position could quite possibly been offered to one of the other 4 candidates. That is a likely scenario as well.:nod:

fightinbison
06-10-2007, 08:58 PM

They can still buy imaginary "Rings"....

Yo
06-10-2007, 10:17 PM
They can still buy imaginary "Rings"....

Good one.:rofl: :rofl:

bincitysioux
06-11-2007, 03:17 AM

Is that what Bohl was thinking when he took the NDSU job prior to the 2003 season? That NDSU football was going nowhere for 5 years?

You obviously must not think much of what Bohl has done with that 2-8 transitional team that he had to work with when he took the job. Lennon is heading into the transiton with a 10-2 National Championship-caliber squad.

KC_Hats
06-11-2007, 03:43 AM
Coach Bohl wasn't a head coach when the Bison hired him. He had just been fired by Nebraska. His choice was between being a defensive coordinator at Stanford or another school and going to work at the top football program in terms of support and facilities in division II with the transition to division I-AA looming a year later. Coach Bohl had worked at NDSU as an assistant also.

You said it yourself that Lennon was interviewing to leave a division II championship caliber team, why would he do that?

WYOBISONMAN
06-11-2007, 05:35 AM
Is that what Bohl was thinking when he took the NDSU job prior to the 2003 season? That NDSU football was going nowhere for 5 years?

You obviously must not think much of what Bohl has done with that 2-8 transitional team that he had to work with when he took the job. Lennon is heading into the transiton with a 10-2 National Championship-caliber squad.

I agree with Bin on that.....

TheDoctor
06-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Coach Bohl wasn't a head coach when the Bison hired him. He had just been fired by Nebraska. His choice was between being a defensive coordinator at Stanford or another school and going to work at the top football program in terms of support and facilities in division II with the transition to division I-AA looming a year later. Coach Bohl had worked at NDSU as an assistant also.

You said it yourself that Lennon was interviewing to leave a division II championship caliber team, why would he do that?

Good call KC. ;)

IowaBisonToo
06-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Have any of you even taken into consideration how his family played a role in this? How many of you have had to take your families thoughts and feelings of a move this significant into something like this? How many of you have or would make this big a decision without your families input? If you have a job you really enjoy going to work at everyday, your kids love their schools, your wife enjoys her place in the community (whether that be a job she has or otherwise) and you have no wants or needs in terms of money, how easy would it be for you to just up an leave? I'd dare to bet less than 25% of you would leave for a job like this under these conditions - especially if in 5-10 years it would be considered a lateral move anyway and you'd be no further ahead in life.

I think a lot of people on this board who are saying Lennon is stupid for turning it down or a tool for using MSU the way he did don't get it and maybe never will. If Lennon is this loyal to UND, all the better for them - probably not for NDSU but so be it. I can completely understand why Lennon would do this and respect him all the more for doing so.

imabison
06-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Well, maybe Lennon just got a free fishing trip to Montana. I know someone who used to love to the companies take him and his family skiing all over the country to try to buy his business. He played the game for about 5 free winter vacations.

TransAmBison
06-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Well, maybe Lennon just got a free fishing trip to Montana. I know someone who used to love to the companies take him and his family skiing all over the country to try to buy his business. He played the game for about 5 free winter vacations.
Free fishing trip, free sheep, something like that! :D

Ricky Bobby
06-12-2007, 02:55 AM
I heard from a very good source that he is getting $175,000 (combination of state money and a couple of large boosters), plus he has been promised new football coaching facilities to compete with NDSU (heard Betty is coughing up 3-5 million)

IowaBisonToo
06-12-2007, 02:12 PM
If this rumor is true, I guess it would be hard to give something like that up when you have sugar-daddies throwing out money like they do up north. Oh well, you still have to deal with all the feces that goes along with it, don't you?

Bison Dan
06-12-2007, 03:08 PM
If this rumor is true, I guess it would be hard to give something like that up when you have sugar-daddies throwing out money like they do up north. Oh well, you still have to deal with all the feces that goes along with it, don't you?

If true I think und opened up a big can of worms - I wonder what the other coaches think?

Stromer
06-12-2007, 07:02 PM
If true I think und opened up a big can of worms - I wonder what the other coaches think?

I don't think the other coaches will be that upset. If it is just about salary, Hakstol's contract is up after this year. With his previous results, he will be getting a huge raise. Since the MBB coach is new, he doesn't really figure into the equation yet. As for Roebuck, he might be the only one with an issue. However, it is to be expected that the football and hockey coaches would be better compensated then he is. But being as this is just a rumor, it may not be true. 175 sounds like a lot. I mean what is the average for FCS coaches?

Tatanka
06-12-2007, 09:05 PM
with all this talk about sugar daddies, coaches salary jackpots and the like, i'm wondering if us taxpayers are still footing the bill for women's hockey via tuition waivers?

if so, aren't we all sugar daddies for the university? hmmmmmmmm.

---

In other news, regardless of the actual deal, congratulations to coach Lennon. he is (almost enough to make you mad) a class act. there's more class in one of his used kleenexes than in all the other douchenozzles up there combined.

buffalobilljr
06-12-2007, 09:14 PM
I like Tatanka's picture of Dean Wermer!!!!!!!!

sambini
06-13-2007, 12:31 AM
I think the one big reason he stayed was FAMILY.

Bisonguy
06-13-2007, 01:33 AM
I don't think the other coaches will be that upset. If it is just about salary, Hakstol's contract is up after this year. With his previous results, he will be getting a huge raise. Since the MBB coach is new, he doesn't really figure into the equation yet. As for Roebuck, he might be the only one with an issue. However, it is to be expected that the football and hockey coaches would be better compensated then he is. But being as this is just a rumor, it may not be true. 175 sounds like a lot. I mean what is the average for FCS coaches?

Not $175k. The average is probably more in the $100-120k range. Southern University's coach suppposedly brings in $200k now, but some HBCU numbers can be a little 'suspect'.

Here's an older (2005) feature on FCS salaries-http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=89098

fightinbison
06-13-2007, 01:49 AM
I think the one big reason he stayed was FAMILY.

Dale did not get a raise, contract extension, new office, or anything.....

He stayed because of family, friends, players, and his heart is at UND...

BISON Thunder
06-13-2007, 12:46 PM

That is why I wonder why he even interviewed...

WYOBISONMAN
06-13-2007, 01:15 PM

All good reasons to make a decision.....and I respect that.

roadwarrior
06-13-2007, 02:44 PM
He interviewed because MSU had asked him to apply.

fightinbison
06-13-2007, 05:36 PM
That is why I wonder why he even interviewed...

Because of what "roadwarrior" says...

and I'm sure there was some interest, "is this right for me" kind of thinking..

also I believe he wanted to view where MSU is right now and where UND needs to go.....very similar to a young man on a recruiting trip why visit all 5 schools if you know where you want to be.....there are always questions....