PDA

View Full Version : Perfect number of schools in the Summit League...

NDSUstudent
06-02-2007, 06:21 PM
What number of schools do you prefer?

Blue
06-02-2007, 06:24 PM
10, the soon to be new number of teams in the Summit League works for me.:nod:

NDSUstudent
06-02-2007, 06:37 PM
I like the number 10 but with the history of the conference being filled with schools coming and going maybe 12 wouldn't be so bad. It would also allow for a divisional setup to be used to cut down on travel. My only concern would be who to add, UND and USD would be solid choices and would make the Summit a better conference for NDSU long term. Oklahoma City U and SIU-E would bring in big markets but that doesn't always mean alot(just take a look at the Big Sky), that said travel would be eaiser to OKC and SIU-E for most schools. Denver would also be an interesting option as well and we all know that UVSC has a solid basketball program and adding them would give SUU a partner.

SDbison
06-02-2007, 07:29 PM
I voted for 10. No reason to be at 12. 12 means a split and I don't won't to get stuck in the side of the division with mostly NCC teams. Will be more interesting to play other schools home and away for 5 years or so. UND and USD can wallow in independent hell for 10 years just because they deserve it.

Bison bison
06-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Splitting makes sense for conferences that sponsor football-the Summit League doesn't.

Blue
06-02-2007, 08:06 PM
I like the number 10 but with the history of the conference being filled with schools coming and going maybe 12 wouldn't be so bad. It would also allow for a divisional setup to be used to cut down on travel. My only concern would be who to add, UND and USD would be solid choices and would make the Summit a better conference for NDSU long term. Oklahoma City U and SIU-E would bring in big markets but that doesn't always mean alot(just take a look at the Big Sky), that said travel would be eaiser to OKC and SIU-E for most schools. Denver would also be an interesting option as well and we all know that UVSC has a solid basketball program and adding them would give SUU a partner.
A little birdie told me SIU-E and UND have the better odds of getting in the Summit league, USD is the odd man out for the way their fans treat other teams and fans, along reasons I can't divulge, and OKC U from what I have been told is looking at a southern conference.

roadwarrior
06-02-2007, 09:12 PM
I dont like the idea of a split league. People are then always talking, "well team A didnt play team B and if they would have....."

A round robin schedule is the only way to go.

sambini
06-03-2007, 01:22 AM
10 is just perfect++++

Bisonguy
06-03-2007, 01:25 AM
10 is perfect IMO.

Round robin play is much better than split divisions

Hammersmith
06-03-2007, 01:38 AM
I'll go the greedy route and say that the NCAA tourney money is better split 10 ways than 12 or more.

Also, our half of a split division could easily end up being us, SDSU, UND, USD, SUU and UMKC. Fun :smh:

Bisonguy
06-03-2007, 01:41 AM
Two very good points.

Paulie
06-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Yeah, although we cried foul when other conferences didn't want to expand now that we are in let's slam the door on others! Membership has it's arrogance!

tony
06-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Yeah, although we cried foul when other conferences didn't want to expand now that we are in let's slam the door on others! Membership has it's arrogance!

Hehe, well, it's not necessarily arrogance, but there is definitely self-interest. Before NDSU got into a conference, we needed instability to create opportunities for us. Now that NDSU is in a conference, we have a big stake in keeping things stable because the absolute worst thing that could happen is for the Summit to lose any teams because *bam* there goes the autobid. Adding teams on the geographic fringes would put pressure on schools to find homes elsewhere. We already have Southern Utah wanting the Big Sky while Centenary has never sounded very happy to me and UMKC is apparently not doing so well financially.

If the Summit does add teams, it better be a unaminous vote.

BisBison
06-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Exactly Tony, this is not arrogance, just self interest. Which if it comes off as arrogance to some up north, so be it. A:) little of their own medicine may not taste so good now.:)

IowaBisonToo
06-06-2007, 01:21 PM
I voted for Bo Derek. Just the right number.

Bisonguy
06-06-2007, 08:37 PM
10 is what the metric system is based on, and we'll all be using it soon enough. Might as well use it in the conference, as well. :nod:

TransAmBison
06-06-2007, 09:25 PM
10 is what the metric system is based on, and we'll all be using it soon enough. Might as well use it in the conference, as well. :nod:
I've been hearing we'll all be using the metric system since I was in elementary. I'll believe it when I see it!

Bisonguy
06-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I've been hearing we'll all be using the metric system since I was in elementary. I'll believe it when I see it!

A little tongue-in-cheek on my part. :D

I remember a couple elementary teachers telling us we better get used to the metric system, as we would all be using it in a couple years. Two decades later.....

KC_Hats
06-07-2007, 01:26 AM
We did use it for a while in the transportation design fields (engineering). The problem was the suppliers never changed what they shipped just put a different name on the same thing and the Contractors all converted the plans back to English units (US Customary). For that reason we are back to designing in US Customary units.:bow:

TheDoctor
06-27-2007, 05:33 AM
I like the ACC better when there were 9 and everyone played everyone twice. Now it rotates who you play twice, except NC and Duke have to play twice every year and so on. I think 10 is good. A split would suck. ;)

sambini
06-27-2007, 11:01 AM
10 is perfect +++++

TheDoctor
08-20-2007, 05:42 AM
Any # is perfect that keeps UND OUT! ;)

NDSU1980
08-22-2007, 04:04 AM
Ask the NSIC in a couple years about letting everyone and their dog in and having a split division. I predict that they will regret going to 14 teams. I say 10 is plenty for any conference.

Bison bison
08-22-2007, 01:07 PM
big difference with NSIC they are letting in significant higher quality schools than existing members.

it would be like two or more missouri valley teams wanting in the summit, Douple would be happier than a puppy with two peepers.

NDSUguy
08-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Interesting article in the Grand Forks Herald today....

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=48179&section=homepage

A few thoughts:

- It's pretty interesting to read Ed Grom's responses to the questions regarding the Summit League. When asked about expansion he definitely side-steps the question. He then goes on to say that there may be a new president to the league which pushes expansion. I think that in a round about way he indicates that there really is no desire to expand at this point.
- Grom also states that they are in discussion with a few teams to join the Great West. He said that 2008 is ruled out and 2009 is also likely ruled out.
- The D1 moratorium on moving up will may have a negative impact on the GWFC.

NDSU1980
08-28-2007, 02:03 PM
The most telling thing in the Herald story was when asked when UND would move up to the Summit League, the commish said "I have no idea". To me, that said it all. I'd say UND can forget the Summit any time soon, probably not even in 5 years.

TheBisonator
08-28-2007, 10:54 PM
I found this question to be very insulting:

Do you think The Summit League teams are a little concerned about the quality of South Dakota State and North Dakota State athletic programs?

At least Grom answered diplomatically.

I think they're anxious to see how they compete. They've seen the facilities and met the coaches, and I think they'd like to see how successful they can be when, night in and night out, they have to play in a (Division I) conference game. . . . Oakland University came in the first year in 1999 in men's baskeball and won the regular-season title. That kind of opened some eyes.

Any time the UND Herald can get their jabs in. Any time.

TheDoctor
09-06-2007, 06:58 AM
The most telling thing in the Herald story was when asked when UND would move up to the Summit League, the commish said "I have no idea". To me, that said it all. I'd say UND can forget the Summit any time soon, probably not even in 5 years.

Ahmen!!!!!!!!!! ;)

JJ Penn
09-12-2007, 01:59 PM
10 as a number is perfect, but I voted for 12 and a split because I would like to see the $$$ dedicated to travel budgets being able to be redirected to things like recruiting budgets and other upgrades (facilities, etc.) that will only make us a more competitive DI athletic program, 10 is perfect only when the league makes way more geographical sense. . .btw - the NSIC is admitting three former members, and the upgrade isn't nearly as significant as it would have been 10 years ago - why rip them in this thread?