06-02-2007, 03:22 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=216396

lakesbison
06-02-2007, 03:31 PM
I DONT THINK WE GIVE A RATS POOP.

sorry mr 1st post.

4mcruenomore
06-02-2007, 03:50 PM
I think it's funny. Most if not all UND fans think their football program is on par if not better than most FCS programs out there, yet their coach is willing to jump ship to a program in FCS that is in such turmoil. HMMM, maybe UND football isn't currently on the same level then now is it.

KC_Hats
06-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Lennon would be a fool to turn the job down if offered. UND is 7 (maybe 6 year, they start the exploratory year next year wasting another year in division II falling further behind NDSU and SDSU) years away from being eligible for the playoffs and doesn't have a conference with an autobid. He does have good competition for the job and might lose out to the Carroll College coach.

dmksioux
06-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Perhaps (hopefully) he's testing the market to "see what he's worth" when it's time for contract renewal. UND football may not be on Par with upper echelon FCS teams, but I don't see this job as being that much of a move up. Unfortunately there are some rumors (hopefully untrue) about some differences of opinions between Administration and coaching staff. I would agree a little with Playoff eligible reasoning but I would not go as far as saying he would be a fool to turn the job down.

KC_Hats
06-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Unlike Sacremento State, Montana State funds its football program. Montana State has nice facilities and has recently been in the FCS playoffs. UND is a long ways from being playoff eligible and Lennon isn't getting any younger. Dale Lennon has to be a tad bit upset that Brian Kelly from Grand Valley State is already two notches above him and is now coaching at Cincinnatti an FBS school. I believe Lennon is jealous of the position NDSU is in and probably feels like UND would be right there if the administration hadn't rejected NDSU and SDSU's overatures at moving to division I. The only thing UND has over Montana State is Lennon is an alumnus. Playoff eligibility is a big deal and that opportunity allows coaches a better opportunity to move up to an FBS school. All good coaches want to coach at the highest level they can.

Bison bison
06-02-2007, 06:02 PM
(there have also been very tight purse strings up at UND the past two years)

NDSUstudent
06-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Would Lennon be a fool to say no to MSU? The MSU football program is in rough shape but it does still have its perks. Football is king there and he would be eligable for the playoffs right away. No waiting and he also would have that autobid that goes along with Big Sky membership. Lennon does have a good thing going at UND though and he also finally got his DI prayers answered. I am sure if offered the job Lennon will be facing a difficult decision.

Bison bison
06-02-2007, 06:08 PM
I think Lennon will take the job if offered.

dmksioux
06-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Unlike Sacremento State, Montana State funds its football program. Montana State has nice facilities and has recently been in the FCS playoffs. UND is a long ways from being playoff eligible and Lennon isn't getting any younger. Dale Lennon has to be a tad bit upset that Brian Kelly from Grand Valley State is already two notches above him and is now coaching at Cincinnatti an FBS school. I believe Lennon is jealous of the position NDSU is in and probably feels like UND would be right there if the administration hadn't rejected NDSU and SDSU's overatures at moving to division I. The only thing UND has over Montana State is Lennon is an alumnus. Playoff eligibility is a big deal and that opportunity allows coaches a better opportunity to move up to an FBS school. All good coaches want to coach at the highest level they can.

I agree with what you've posted. However, Lennon had the opportunity to coach at Sac. St (lower level FCS program, playoff eligible) and turned it down. Had he gone there, made his mark, and brought the program to the "next level" he possibly could have been a candidate for some open FBS coaching positions (ala Brian Kelley). His loyalty to UND played a big role in him staying. Fast forward a few years, I believe the only thing that has really changed is the relationship between administration and Coaches. Hopefully those things can/will be ironed out.

99Bison
06-02-2007, 06:31 PM
I agree with what you've posted. However, Lennon had the opportunity to coach at Sac. St (lower level FBS program, playoff eligible) and turned it down. Had he gone there, made his mark, and brought the program to the "next level" he possibly could have been a candidate for some open FBS coaching positions (ala Brian Kelley). His loyalty to UND played a big role in him staying. Fast forward a few years, I believe the only thing that has really changed is the relationship between administration and Coaches. Hopefully those things can/will be ironed out.

I Agree with both these last two posts +++

Shawn-O
06-02-2007, 07:53 PM
I agree with what you've posted. However, Lennon had the opportunity to coach at Sac. St (lower level FBS program, playoff eligible) and turned it down. Had he gone there, made his mark, and brought the program to the "next level" he possibly could have been a candidate for some open FBS coaching positions (ala Brian Kelley). His loyalty to UND played a big role in him staying. Fast forward a few years, I believe the only thing that has really changed is the relationship between administration and Coaches. Hopefully those things can/will be ironed out.

I agree with most of this, but there's something to be said for people being loyal to other people, not just institutions. Roger is not there this time if the offer comes. I fully believe Coach Lennon will accept the offer at MSU if it comes.

Bison bison
06-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Isn't Roger Thomas looking for a job......

Shawn-O
06-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Isn't Roger Thomas looking for a job......

Be good to your people...someday you might be working for them.

4mcruenomore
06-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Any way you look at it, it would be good for Dale to get the job.

Yo
06-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Any way you look at it, it would be good for Dale to get the job.

Totally agree.

KC_Hats
06-02-2007, 11:50 PM

Sacremento State is an FCS school that is a bottom dweller in the Big Sky Conference. There facilities are horrible but there are rumblings they want to move up to FBS.

sambini
06-03-2007, 01:25 AM
I think he will be offered this job?

Bisonguy
06-03-2007, 01:28 AM
I think he will be offered this job?

The only thing standing in the way is if the AD/committee succumb to the pressure from boosters concerning Van Diest.

4mcruenomore
06-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Apparently Lennon coaches the bison:

Carroll's Van Diest a finalist for MSU coaching job
By TOM STUBER, IR Sports Writer 06/02/07
Montana State University is another step closer to hiring a head football coach.

And from the looks of things, they're a giant leap closer to hiring Carroll College's head football coach Mike Van Diest as the successor to ousted Mike Kramer.

Van Diest is among four finalists for the job and is still considered the frontrunner for the position.

Head coaches Dale Lennon of North Dakota State University and Rob Ash of Drake University along with assistant coach Larry Kerr of Duke University are the others under consideration.

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2007/06/02/sports_top/b01060207_01.txt

02Bison
06-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Good luck to Lennon. He's a good coach deserving of a better place to coach. Hopefully he gets a chance to turn things around at Montana State.

TheBisonator
06-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Dale Lennon has been the only UND coach or administrator over the past several years who has been a class act and did not throw crap at NDSU when we made our move to Division I. Lennon is a classy guy. I respect the man very much. I hope he gets this MSU job, because he deserves to move up the coaching ladder. He's a good coach, and he deserves it.

sambini
06-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Dale Lennon has been the only UND coach or administrator over the past several years who has been a class act and did not throw crap at NDSU when we made our move to Division I. Lennon is a classy guy. I respect the man very much. I hope he gets this MSU job, because he deserves to move up the coaching ladder. He's a good coach, and he deserves it.Well said Bisonnator GOOD LUCK to the KNOX,ND native+++_

Tatanka
06-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Dale Lennon has been the only UND coach or administrator over the past several years who has been a class act and did not throw crap at NDSU when we made our move to Division I. Lennon is a classy guy. I respect the man very much. I hope he gets this MSU job, because he deserves to move up the coaching ladder. He's a good coach, and he deserves it.
Agree 100%.

dmksioux
06-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Sacremento State is an FCS school that is a bottom dweller in the Big Sky Conference. There facilities are horrible but there are rumblings they want to move up to FBS.

Thanks...that's what I meant type but accidentally put FBS (now corrected). The example still works though...