PDA

View Full Version : Sam Larson

tony
05-29-2007, 12:16 PM
Figured that he deserves his own thread after winning the 800, 1600, and 3200 at the state meet. :)

I also hadn't heard he was going to run at NDSU until I got home today - fantastic!

mn-bison
05-29-2007, 12:46 PM
What times did he have in these events?

BISON Thunder
05-29-2007, 03:48 PM
From the Jamestown Sun...

Fitting final run
David Selvig, The Jamestown Sun
Published Monday, May 28, 2007

The Jamestown Sun

BISMARCK — To no one’s surprise, Sam Larson went out in style.

The Jamestown High School senior closed out one of the top running careers in state history on Saturday at the cool and windy Bismarck Community Bowl, adding two more state titles in his final outing as a prep runner.

Jay Pickthorn / The Forum Jamestown High School’s Sam Larson nears the finish line during the 3200 meter run at the state track and field meet at the Bismarck Community Bowl on Saturday. Larson won the race for the second straight year.
The North Dakota State University-bound standout captured two more championships, giving him six state track titles in his career to go along with a pair of cross country crowns.

Larson easily won both the 800 and 3200 on Saturday, a day after sailing to the title in the 1600, showing not just endurance, but good old fashioned speed as well.

“It’s a great way to go out,” he said. “I couldn’t have asked for anything more. I’ve had a lot of great coaches and a lot of great teammates. It’s been a lot of fun.”

Larson’s near perfect weekend capped off a solid outing for the JHS boys, who placed seventh overall with 50 points.

Running the 3200 for just the third time this year, as he often has, he made it look way too easy.

In front from start to finish, he posted a career-best time of 9:24.18, blowing away the competition by more than 11 seconds.

“It was kind of interesting. I kind of had to learn how to run that one again,” he said. “But it worked out, I guess.”

He was equally impressive in the 800, separating from the competition at about the midway point, winning by more than three seconds (1:56.80) further showing his versatility.

“I like track because of the variety you’re able to have,” he said. “You can try different things. You just don’t have to be a distance runner.”

Larson, who won the 1600 on Friday and ran the final leg of the Blue Jays’ fourth-place, two-mile relay team, finished his stellar prep career with a school record 890.50 points.

“I’m going to miss it,” he said. “But at the same time I’m excited for the future.”

tony
05-30-2007, 10:55 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/167119

Nice to see an article focusing on Larson's signing. Leutz and Larson alone make a great signing class.

Oh, and here are Larson's times:

800m 1:56.80
1600m 4:20.25
3200m 9:24.18

It was really windy - not that 1:56, for example, is a bad time, but two of the guys who placed didn't even run a state qualifying time.

Another classic North Dakota meet - only thing that would have made it better: non-crappy weather and a healthy Blake Bowers running.

semobison
05-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Sam ran a PR 4:14 for the 1600 during the regular season. The weather at the State meet last weekend was terrible which makes his 9:24 even more impressive in the 3200. He is going to be a good one!

mn-bison
05-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Great to hear NDSU got two quality, in state track stars. Help to bring us to the D1 scene...

Does the Summit League sponser Track? I do not recall see if they do or not.

Bisonguy
05-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Great to hear NDSU got two quality, in state track stars. Help to bring us to the D1 scene...

Does the Summit League sponser Track? I do not recall see if they do or not.

The Mid-Con sponsored both indoor and outdoor, so I would guess the Summit League will as well.

sambini
06-02-2007, 05:50 AM
Welcome Sam ++