PDA

View Full Version : 2007-2008 Pre-Season Previews

BisonBlogger
05-27-2007, 04:31 PM
With all the national magazines and websites only weeks away from publishing their 2007-2008 Previews, I am curious what they will say about NDSU's team and its returning players.

Will the Florida game bring much national coverage of any kind?

Does the fact that NDSU that returns four starters and 55 points game mean anything to the national pundits?

I wouldn't expect any Sports Illustrated articles anytime soon, but this team has done some things and has enough talent to deserve some coverage IMO.

NDSUFREAK
05-27-2007, 04:59 PM
With all the national magazines and websites only weeks away from publishing their 2007-2008 Previews, I am curious what they will say about NDSU's team and its returning players.

Will the Florida game bring much national coverage of any kind?

Does the fact that NDSU that returns four starters and 55 points game mean anything to the national pundits?

I wouldn't expect any Sports Illustrated articles anytime soon, but this team has done some things and has enough talent to deserve some coverage IMO.
Probably will have coverage with the mid majors as a team to watch out for in that sort of way. remember, we aren't NCAA Tournament eligible yet and when we do I am sure we will get more coverage on a team to look for in getting to March.

BisonBlogger
05-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Is it possible for Flordia's new team as defending national champs to draw any interest for their first game nationally?

Or will the ESPN's of the world wait for what they perceive as a more worthy opponent. I would hope an ESPN full-court game at least.

Would CSTV be a possibility?

We might be careful for what we wish for. It may be better to stay under the radar for this game.

NDSUFREAK
05-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Are we now officially playing florida??

Bisonguy
05-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Are we now officially playing florida??

It was confirmed about two weeks ago.

Yo
05-27-2007, 10:40 PM

Way Cool!!!

NDSUFREAK
05-27-2007, 10:47 PM
WOW! Where was I??!!!

roadwarrior
05-27-2007, 11:22 PM
There is a sponsor for the 5 team event and no official release has been made at this point, but it will be happening.

Mr. Burgundy
05-28-2007, 03:36 AM
Sounds like this tourney will be held at multiple sites with each team getting a home game. Rutgers is playing from the Big East. Should be alot of fun. Oh, and watch out for the recruiting class that Florida will put together. THey win and put kids in the pros, that is what kids want to hear. He is going to load up, even though several of those kids went pro.

NDSUFREAK
05-28-2007, 04:32 AM
Oh dear, wake the kids, call the neighbors, this is an extravaganza you will not want to miss.

BisonBlogger
06-12-2007, 04:18 PM
What should be, but most likely will not be mentioned is that NDSU will be returning arguably three players that are Top 10 players nationally at their respective positions. Stats and Computer Rankings bear this out but national pundits will give all the recognition to the High Major players most likely.

Point Guard: Ben Woodside, team leader, scoring point guard that gets to the line and drives and shoots the ball extremely well. Huge games against High Majors like Wisconsin and Kansas State proves he belongs with all the best point guards in the country. Compares very favorably to Drew Nietzel at MSU. That would be a match up I would love to see.

Shooting Guard: Mike Nelson, Consistently good all-around player that works extremely hard at both ends of the floor. Very high field goal percentage for a shooting guard because he can finish the play from the three point line, mid-range shot or drive to the basket and finish well with either hand. Reads defenses and works very hard without the ball to hunt for shots. Chases very well on defense to deny opportunities for the players he is defending. Much more than just a shooter.

Small Forward: Brett Winkleman, may be the best returning small forward in the country when you consider his scoring and rebounding stats per game. Could be averaging a double/double before his career is over. Extremely athletic and shoots the three very well which is a big bonus. Willing to take the shot a crunch time or fight for the big rebound. Gets to the line and shoots a very good percentage. Just a quality small forward.

Even though these three players have averaged their season stats against High Major teams, they will labor in relative obscurity until they get to the post season. Sad but true.

BisonBlogger
06-12-2007, 04:18 PM
What should be, but most likely will not be mentioned is that NDSU will be returning arguably three players that are Top 10 players nationally at their respective positions. Stats and Computer Rankings bear this out but national pundits will give all the recognition to the High Major players most likely.

Point Guard: Ben Woodside, team leader, scoring point guard that gets to the line and drives and shoots the ball extremely well. Huge games against High Majors like Wisconsin and Kansas State proves he belongs with all the best point guards in the country. Compares very favorably to Drew Nietzel at MSU. That would be a match up I would love to see.

Shooting Guard: Mike Nelson, Consistently good all-around player that works extremely hard at both ends of the floor. Very high field goal percentage for a shooting guard because he can finish the play from the three point line, mid-range shot or drive to the basket and finish well with either hand. Reads defenses and works very hard without the ball to hunt for shots. Chases very well on defense to deny opportunities for the players he is defending. Much more than just a shooter.

Small Forward: Brett Winkleman, may be the best returning small forward in the country when you consider his scoring and rebounding stats per game. Could be averaging a double/double before his career is over. Extremely athletic and shoots the three very well which is a big bonus. Willing to take the shot a crunch time or fight for the big rebound. Gets to the line and shoots a very good percentage. Just a quality small forward.

Even though these three players have averaged their season stats against High Major teams, they will labor in relative obscurity until they get to the post season. Sad but true.

SDbison
06-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Some good thoughts BisonBlogger. Too bad these guys don't have a quality big man or two going into this year and next. Moorman is OK, but an athletic big guy to fill in for Andre's presence around the hoop would be nice. Are there any rumors of someone NDSU could pick up in the next year or so?

BisonBlogger
06-12-2007, 05:35 PM
We as fans along the players and coaches have to play and win with what we have, not what they wish for.

All teams lose valuable players, NDSU is more fortunate that most with the amount of quality players they have returning. I would like to know any team in the country that has four starters back with more than 55 points of scoring that returns back with them. You know that with this team coming back you are going to have scoring and good team defense. Question marks will be rebounding and post defense.

Things that will make or break the success of this 2007-2008 team will be:

1. Ability to rebound as a team.
2. Nelson, Pennick, Vaughan and Coleman stepping up to handle ball pressure if Woodside is on the bench.
3. Luke Moormann emerging as a post scoring threat.
4. Sussenguth, Vaughan and Pennick all improving and contributing more to scoring.
5. Tweidt, Coleman and possibly Carlson stepping up with one or two of them emerging as a quality Division One player right away.
6. Sussenguth being able to guard bigs to help Moormann against tall physical teams.

All and all I am optimistic because in college basketball, experience means a lot and this team returning has been through the wars.

Winning some marque games in pre-season again this year would be great, but Summit League games are where it is at this year with the NIT as the prize. Go Bison!

TheDoctor
06-12-2007, 06:51 PM
We as fans along the players and coaches have to play and win with what we have, not what they wish for.

All teams lose valuable players, NDSU is more fortunate that most with the amount of quality players they have returning. I would like to know any team in the country that has four starters back with more than 55 points of scoring that returns back with them. You know that with this team coming back you are going to have scoring and good team defense. Question marks will be rebounding and post defense.

Things that will make or break the success of this 2007-2008 team will be:

1. Ability to rebound as a team.
2. Nelson, Pennick, Vaughan and Coleman stepping up to handle ball pressure if Woodside is on the bench.
3. Luke Moormann emerging as a post scoring threat.
4. Sussenguth, Vaughan and Pennick all improving and contributing more to scoring.
5. Tweidt, Coleman and possibly Carlson stepping up with one or two of them emerging as a quality Division One player right away.
6. Sussenguth being able to guard bigs to help Moormann against tall physical teams.

All and all I am optimistic because in college basketball, experience means a lot and this team returning has been through the wars.

Winning some marque games in pre-season again this year would be great, but Summit League games are where it is at this year with the NIT as the prize. Go Bison!

Thanks Blogger - definitely food for thought and right on the money. ;)

bisonhusker
06-12-2007, 09:44 PM
I don't personally think we need much more scoring, the big three will take care of that. The shots that Dre was getting will be split up easily. I am more concerned about the rebounding issue and the length that Dre provided. You never know what Tweidt will provide, everything I hear is fantastic, but so was Josh Vaughn as a redshirt freshman and he hasn't panned out (yet). it is a team game and we have some guys that can easily step into some minutes. I am really excited for last year's redshirts to come in. Best athletes in a long time in a hoops jersey....both of them.